Sunday, May 13, 2012

May 13--Mother's Day, Thomas's B day, etc

Dear Elder,

How are you today? I hope that you are good and that you got the package we sent to the MTC yesterday. I'm sorry it took me so long to send your pants. I knew that you wouldn't need a second pair of suit pants in Mexico, but I just barely realized on Friday that you very much need your second pair of pants in the MTC because all that you probably wear there is your suit. I am so sorry for being so slow!

I hope the brownies got to you okay and weren't too sticky and messy by the time you opened them, Even if they were, I hope they tasted good. I still don't even know if you got the first package I sent you. I hope you did! I still plan on sending you your tan canvas shoes. They were pretty dirty so I washed them. In fact, they are sitting in the washer right now. I am going to take a break from typing to get them outside where the wind and the sun will hopefully dry them soon. Hmmm. Very strange. I went to get them and they are not there. I know I put them in to wash. What I think happened is that last night while I was already sleeping, your sweet dad remembered them and took them outside to dry so that I could send them to you on Monday. In fact, I know that is what happened because I know your dad!

Speaking of your amazing dad, yesterday (Saturday), he took me to breakfast and then to Walmart and a plant nursery where he bought me tons of plants and flowers for Mother's Day! We bought drought-tolerant ground cover and planted it along the fence to choke out the weeds there, we bought pansies and petunias and day lilies, we bought herbs, we bought wood chips, etc etc. Now I have pots of flowers and flower beds and an herb garden. It was lots of money and lots of work and Dad is very sweet to have done all that. We worked fast and managed to get done soon enough to go out for a late dinner. All that along with taking care of Grandma and getting the kids to and from work made it a very busy day.

Friday Thomas celebrated his birthday at a joint party with Abby, across the street. Thomas spent most of his birthday allowance on food for the party, and Abby's family did food, too, so there was quite a spread--seven layer dip, M&M's, Chips, pop, Cheezits, chocolate dipped pretzels, and cupcakes. Most of the girls Abby invited came, but most of the boys Thomas invited didn't come. The reason for that is twofold--first, Thomas didn't get most of his invitations out till the day before and, second, the boys he invited from the ward had a campout that night. Still, Jayden across the street, and Thomas's friend, Brian, did come and they all had a great time. I don't think the boys minded being out numbered all that much.

Miriam and Katrina have helped me out so much this weekend. They worked hard to get everything over to the party and then back home when it was over, and yesterday they worked hard to clean the house so that I wouldn't have so much to do last night. They really made life easier and didn't complain even though they didn't get much out of it.

Today is Thomas's birthday and Grandma's day. Thomas will be ordained to the office teacher in church today, and I'm so proud of him for being worthy to hold the priesthood. We have invited Don and Renee and their family and Paul and his family over to a party to eat watermelon and mangoes in Grandma's honor (her favorite food), and to eat cake and ice cream for Thomas's birthday. I hope Grandma enjoys the party. We hope to have it outside, depending on the weather. Allen and Becky sent Grandma a beautiful fruit bouquet which she got yesterday and really enjoyed eating. She especially liked the cantaloupe. The fruit pieces were on a stick which made it very easy for Grandma to eat them on her own. Last night she enjoyed sitting in the kitchen, eating fruit, and watching a movie with Katrina.

Today, also, I plan to call my own mommy. I tried to call her last night, but she was gone. We sent Grandma a card in the mail, but I'm really not sure that she got it yet. I know she'll like the picture on it. I also sent her an old yellowed piece of paper with a poem on it that I wrote to her when I was a little girl. I wrote it in what I thought was fancy lettering and the poem goes like this:
 Mother, you're so dear,
You always hold me near,
And tell me things I like to hear.
Mother you're so dear.
Deep stuff, I know. I'm pretty sure that a few months ago I thought of something real great to get Grandma for Mother's Day, and I can't remember what it was. It's driving me crazy! Oh well, I hope she likes the card, at least.

I got to Skype with Cassandra on Friday, and it was so fun to see Lily! She waves "good bye," and when Cassandra says "Good girl," Lily repeats it. We got to Skype for a long, sweet time. Lily is so cute, and she has such a beautiful and sweet mommy and loving and devoted daddy! I know all my grand kids will be so blessed, and I will be the happiest grandma in the world!

I haven't heard from Jonathan for a few days, but Dad was on facebook last night, and I read one of Jon's post. It was about lame food in Canada, pretty funny, ha ha. He says Canadians are really funny but don't mean to be. He also says they are the worst, most polite drivers anywhere. I can't wait to talk to him again. I wish this computer would let me know when he's on line so that I can Skype him. I guess it's just as well that I can't Skype him since my messy hair and purple moo moo might scare him into never leaving Canada!

I am going to wear the beautiful lily necklace that you kids gave me for Mother's Day to church. I hear it was Jon's idea and Miriam picked it out. I love it!! I know that you didn't contribute monetarily because of your mission, but I also know that you would have if you could have. I guess you haven't seen it; it's beautiful! The fact that it is a lily means so much to me. I can't explain it. It's like I get to wear Lily close to my heart. It is rhodium plated sterling silver, so it is super sleek and shiny and beautiful in every way. I try to wear it every day and I like to rub it and feel it's smoothness and remember how much my children love me!



What??? It's nine o clock??? No way, how did that happen? I've got to go. I love you, Matt. Thanks for keeping in touch and for being a missionary. We all love you so much! Please have a wonderful day.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment