Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28--Dear Elder: This Week's First Installment

Dear Elder,
Thank you for your last letter.  It was good to hear how your week went.  I know that things aren't easy for you, and I pray for you all the time.  Thank you so much for your fun and happy letters.  You help us keep our perspective, and we like hearing about what is happening with you.  Keep telling us stuff about your life!

Sunday, we didn't get to Skype with Cassandra and family, but Monday I did get to Skype with her and Lily.  It was so fun!  And in the middle of Skyping, Katrina came home and got to talk, too.  Lily showed us all around her room and all her toys.  It was really cute.  She also did the actions for "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" while her mommy sang.  She couldn't show us her baby, because she couldn't find it, but she showed us how she puts Pooh Bear to bed.  She sure talks well!  Cassandra says that she hides Lily's binkies so that she can only have them when she's sleeping and at church, but Lily always seems to find a spare.  Cassandra says she thinks Lily actually stashes them away for when she can't find one. Funny!



Monday we had a nice Family Home Evening.  Katrina gave the lesson about Lehonti.  She did a wonderful job and really prepared it well.  Miriam had the activity and had us play Beatles Rock Band. I took pictures for you!  Now that I have a smart phone, I can take pictures more often.



Tuesday I subbed for Dad.  He went to the dentist and got a crown put in.  That night, Dad and I went to the temple, and it was wonderful!  Going to the temple really helps us have an eternal perspective.  With all this work on the house, my priorities got a bit out of focus.  I started out well--very thankful and focused on Heavenly Father, but as the work progressed, I thought more and more about the house and less and less about Him.  Just this week, I have realized that I was beginning to place the affections of my heart on the blessings instead of the Blessing Giver, and as I've done that, I have become more and more unhappy.  Anyway, going to the temple really helped me in my efforts to turn my heart to God.  Also, I fasted on Monday which helped me a lot.



Yesterday, I subbed in fifth grade, and they were a wonderful class.  I feel very blessed because I was nervous about subbing fifth grade.  It has been hard going back to subbing after that long hiatus caring for Grandma.



Miriam got some letters from Preston yesterday, and he even wrote one to us.  He is going to church and says he likes his bishop.  That is a real blessing.  Before he left, we talked to him often about going to church and told him that he would find friends and comfort there.  I also wrote him a letter about prayer and reminded him that he could pray in his heart any time, any where, about any thing.  Miriam says he sounds happy.  I asked her if she thought he was just making an effort to sound that way, but she says no, so that is good.

It is Thursday morning and I will spend most of the time that everyone is at school preparing for our trip.  Miriam is awake and eating breakfast.  Thomas has been getting ready for school and listening to the "Rap of Manliness," and I am writing to you!  Dad and Katrina are still asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment