Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 10--Dear Elder

Dear Elder

Hi!  Before I forget, I wanted to tell you that I went to Kyle's house the other day to return something of his that I found in the TV cabinet (just a little pamphlet that went with a DVD you borrowed from him).  Wow, his parents are sooo friendly!  Anyway, they said he is going on a mission to Germany.  Pretty cool, huh?

It is Wednesday morning and I am going over to Elizabeth's to watch her kids.  I was there yesterday, too until 6:30 last night.  Isaac is in the hospital with an infected arm, and that's why I was watching the other kids--so Elizabeth could be with him..  He was in the hospital because if the infection had been in his elbow joint, it would have been real bad.  Happily, they found out that it is not in his joint, so he can come home sometime morning and I'll be watching the other kids till then.

Katrina came over at around 3:30 to help me and we made dinner--cream of vegetable soup, chicken, and rolls.  It was fun to be cooking with her.  It's always more fun to work at someone else's house than your own.

Dad had an evaluation at work yesterday and he said it went fine.  He has been having some good, uplifting conversations with his students lately.  He's such a good teacher, although sometimes he gets burned out.  President Monson's counsel to see people as they can be, has really helped him out in teaching.   I'm so grateful for the prophet!

Miriam left at 6:00 this morning for an FBLA competition.  FBLA is another business organization.  She interviewed for a job yesterday and she said it went okay.  She didn't interview with the person she was supposed to interview with.  Preston leaves Sunday for the Marines, and she and he have been attending lots of family going away parties, etc.  They are having trouble fitting it all in.  Last night his aunt and uncle took them out to eat.  Sounds like it was pretty fun.

Thomas and Jon have been having fun playing Legos Star Wars lately.  Sounds exciting!  Tonight is the first night of Thomas's play.  Don and Renee are coming over to attend it with us.  I haven't even seen his costume, yet which is funny since I usually have to sew their costumes.  I'm very excited to see it.  He performed it for the Junior High yesterday and said they liked it.

Friday I fly out for Celeste's wedding.  I am so excited to see everyone.  Do you realize that Julie's little girl is two years old, and I haven't even seen her yet?  I haven't met Celeste's fiance, Jacob yet, either.  And all my siblings will be there.  It will be so fun to visit with them and Grandpa and Grandma and Julie's family and Tom's family.  I hope I'll get to see Great Grandma, too.

Well, the week has flown by and it is already Sunday.  Wednesday was quite a day.  Elizabeth and Isaac were still in the hospital till 11:00 am so I was on my way to her house early that morning to watch her little girls till then, when Dad called.  Thomas had smashed his finger in weight training and Dad was taking him to the doctor.  He needed me to come take over so that he could get back to work.  Elizabeth found a neighbor to watch her kids and I hurried to the clinic and took Dad’s place.  Thomas ended up with a fractured finger and 4 stitches.  That night was the opening night of the play, too!  Luckily they just stitched him up, put his finger in a splint, put him on antibiotics, and sent him back to school.  Boy was the drama teacher happy to see him!

That night at the play, Thomas did a wonderful job!  Do you realize that he basically sang two solos—“Under the Sea” and “Kiss The Girl.”  He looked and sounded great.  Me, Dad, Katrina, Aunt Renee and Donny were there to see him.  The next night, Katrina, Dad, and I went again along with Miriam and Preston.  We took some good pictures and I’ll make sure to send you some.

Friday I packed up and left for Arizona.  Dad is so sweet, he drove the van out on the jetty to watch my plane take off.  How many husbands would do that?  I sat by two very nice people, a mom going to visit her parents for the weekend and a returned missionary going to visit his girlfriend for a week.  Rick and Elizabeth were on the flight, but I didn’t sit by them.  When I got to Mesa, it had been raining and I breathed in deeply the smell of wet chaparral on the desert. It was heavenly.

Saturday was Celeste’s wedding and it was so wonderful to be at the same temple that Dad and I got married in and see Celeste and Jacob sealed together for time and all eternity.   After the wedding we got pictures, and we were able to get a picture of all us siblings together.  We also got a nice picture with all the siblings and Grandpa and Grandma Haws.  After that, Grandpa gave Grandma a deep dip and a passionate kiss.  The photographer got a great picture of them doing that and us kids looking appalled.  It was so cute!

Between the wedding and luncheon we got to go to visit Great Grandma.  It was a quick visit, but nice, and we got some good pictures with her.  The luncheon was yummy and fun.  The reception was fun, too.   I got to see my Aunt Dixie and some of her family, my uncle Ed and Aunt Dana, and my Cousin Nathan and his family.  I held Julies little girl, Mandy a lot and gave her tons of food.

Today we went to Grandpa and Grandma’s stake conference and Julie and Kelly and kids came, too.  Elder Whiting of the Seventy spoke and gave a wonderful message.  The subject was to face our tents towards the temple like King Benjamin's people and not towards Sodom like Lot and his family.  He talked about going to the temple with one of our children in our hearts, praying for inspiration and blessings on their behalf.  I want to go to the temple more often and to live a more consecrated life.

Now we are all together at Grandpa and Grandma’s.  It is twilight and I am on the back porch.  The doves are cooing and a little breeze is blowing.  I can hear talking and laughing inside.  It is nice to be here even though it is no longer home.  For me, home is with Dad and you kids, now, later in the temple when we are all able to worship together, and ultimately together with all of you in the presence of our Heavenly Father and Mother forever.

I love you, Matt.  The distance between us is only temporary;  it is nothing compared years and the eternities we will enjoy together as a family.   Isn't the plan of salvation glorious  !

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment