Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22--Dear Elder: Gospel Study, Family News

Dear Elder,

Hi.  I just studied the gospel, and I am still so excited about it right now, that I want to write about that first because I know you care, and I know that you will be happy about me studying.

I had a hard time at the beginning of my studying today.  For one thing, I woke up at 5:40, and fell asleep twice while I studied.  But then I came to a spot in "Preach My Gospel" that assigned me to read the Doctrine and Covenants, section 138 verses 1 through 11.  I read those verses, and then the whole section, and it touched me like never before, and I felt the Holy Ghost as I read.  As you know, it is the section where President Joseph F. Smith has a vision of Christ visiting the spirit world after his crucifixion.

As I pondered on this section, I marveled at the love and faithfulness of Jesus Christ who, after suffering, bleeding, and dying, still didn't rest.  Instead he went and proclaimed liberty to the righteous dead, preached  His gospel to them, and organized missionaries from the righteous dead to preach the gospel to the suffering spirits in spirit prison (D&C 138 1-11, 25-37). 

I recalled Christ himself giving a parable that teaches about such faithfulness in Luke 17 verses 5-10. In these verses, Christ's apostles ask, "Lord, increase our faith."  The Lord then tells them that if they have the faith of a mustard seed, they can do great things and then he teaches them the parable.

In it, a servant works all day in the fields, but returning from the fields, he does not rest.  Instead he prepares a meal for his master to sup, serves his master till he is full, and still declares himself an unprofitable servant, saying he had only done his duty.

This scripture shows that we increase our faith by proving our faithfulness.  Christ was the perfect example of this; He is the perfect example of faithfulness.  He taught the principle and then showed the way. 

As I pondered this, I realized that I can apply this  principle of faithfullness to my scripture study.  I study in order to increase my faith, and when my studying is finished, I need to not stop, but continue working and serving God.  In other words, I need to reflect on an live what I studied all day, and at the end of it, realize that I have only done my duty.  If I study and then move on with the day, never thinking of or living according to what I learned, I am unfaithful, and my faith won’t increase. 

My goal today:   Be a faithful servant today in thought:  Pondering on what I have learned throughout the day, word:  Praying often for added insight and sharing what I learned with others, and deed:  not resting, but continually serving God and his children.  I'm not very good at remembering and applying what I learn in scripture study, that's why I think the Holy Ghost directed me to study and ponder on these things.  I hope I can reach my goal today.  Maybe it would help to report to you how I did.  I'll try to to that, Matt.

Well, how are you?  Guess what?  I found a back scratcher!!!  We are going to try to get it to you today along with the other things you asked for:)  I hope you haven't been too itchy, you sure seem to want one.  I'm sure glad I found one.  It's wood, and it's not really that good at scratching, so I'm going to get Dad's help to sand it to be sharper.

Yesterday didn't go as planned.  For one thing, Grandma was awake all day, so we stayed home.  Dad posted a bunch of his guns that he wants to sell on ksl.com and ebay.  It took him all day long.  I did yard work and took care of Grandma.  Selling his guns will help us make up the money Dad lost when he lost his summer program.  It was a pretty good day.

We got to talk to Jonathan periodically throughout the day which was nice.  He's got a concrete or construction job (I can't remember which) all lined up for next Tuesday, but that leaves him 4 days with nothing to do and no roommates around.  He finally went in to the mystery room, an no one was there, of course, just music.  I hope he spends lots of his time looking for a job--he needs to get a job for the fall that won't interfere with his classes.  He seemed to be in fairly good spirits which is good.

When we Skyped with Cassandra the other day, she was saying that she likes the climate in Texas and doesn't want to live in the snow ever again.  I don't blame her, ha ha.  Being an Arizona girl, I don't have much use for the snow either, even on Christmas.  Still, the weather around here in the summer is so wonderful, isn't it?  It is so nice to go out in the pleasant cool and do yard work.  I actually enjoyed weeding yesterday!

Miriam got home from work at 5:30, and Dad cooked us steak.  Neither he nor I were very hungry, so we all three shared one steak.  At 7:00 Miriam left for the fun center with the ward young men and young women.  She got home at about 11:30 and seemed pretty happy, but hungry.  Guess we should have fed her more steak!  I think she had a fun time. This morning she is off at youth conference and I hope it is a wonderful experience for her.

At 7:30, after seeing Miriam off, we drove into the laundry and walked up to campus from there to drop off some money and a camera to Katrina and Thomas.  This is their last day at EFY.  It was fun to see Katrina for a second and give her the stuff.  It is so fun to be with Dad.  No matter what we do, we have a wonderful time.  There is no one else on earth I would rather be with than your dad.  He is so kind and thoughtful and so interesting to talk to and fun to be with .  We have had such a nice week off together!

Okey dokey, artichokey, it's time to get a move-on with the day.  I love you very much, Matt.  Thanks for reading my very long-winded letters.  Your example means so much to me, and I truly thank you for your encouragement to make goals and study the gospel more diligently.  It is helping me improve my relationship with God.  Wow, look, you aren't even in the mission field yet, and are already helping others live the gospel!  Way to go, Elder Cole! 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment