Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 13--Dear Elder: Jon Home, Working with Katrina, Barbecue!

Dear Elder,

Hi! Today is P-day which means that today you are going to the temple, doing your laundry, emailing, and …what else? I have no idea. Probably some exercise, right? Let us know what you do on your preparation days. We get emails from you today, hooray!!! I can’t wait.

I had such a nice day yesterday. Miriam and Thomas started work early, so till 1:00 it was just Katrina and me at home. We cleaned up the kitchen and the fridge and worked outside. Outside we gave the flowers plant food and re-repaired the Adirondak chairs with new zip ties. It was so fun to have Katrina with me! We really had a nice time. At one o’clock I got her to work and stopped by Walmart on the way home. I bought stuff for a barbecue and some outdoor fabric.

When I got home, I tried to sleep, because I am always a couple hours shy of a full night’s sleep, but I couldn’t because I was so excited about my plans to use the fabric I’d bought. I popped out of bed and started to make a hammock, which is what I bought the fabric for. I was interrupted when Grandma’s friends from the old 19th ward came over to visit her. Sisters Hoover, Garrard, and Emma I, and Bishop Dunklee come over often to check on Grandma. I got Grandma out of her bed, and she really enjoyed visiting with them. She even remembered the name of Sis Garrard and Emma I. I have no idea why Emma I is Emma I. No one ever just calls her Emma, and I have no idea what her last name is or what the I stands for. It may be Emma Eye for all I know. Ay ay ay!

Well, Dad got home in time to catch the end of the visit. It was very nice to see him and after Grandma’s company had gone, I tried to stay awake to keep him company, but I couldn’t, so I left him to fend for himself and crashed in bed. When I woke up and went upstairs 15 min later, Jon was home! Hooray! He stayed only awhile—long enough to give us hugs and donuts and ketchup potato chips. Then he went to Weston’s for the night which is where he is staying till the cousins, who will arrive this afternoon, go home on Saturday. Wow, it was nice to see Jon. He said he’d be back today. So he left for Weston’s and Dad left to hike.

With everyone gone, I had fun making the hammock on the swing set outside. I didn’t sew it or even tie knots, I just slipped the fabric through the rings of the old hammock and zip tied it in place. It was really fun because it’s been eons since I’ve been able to do anything fun and creative. Now I have plans for an awning and a cover for the swing chair. I will try to send you picts when it’s done.

As you may recall, we switched family home evening from Monday night to Tuesday night, so when everyone got home around 7:00, we had a barbecue with hamburgers, corn on the cob, and baked beans. We wheeled Grandma out on the deck to oversee the activities. We had a very nice meal despite the sun. I have got to get an umbrella! Afterward, Miriam convinced us all to go to the park for a nice walk and bike ride. We loaded up the two bikes in the pick up and when we got there we took turns biking and walking the trail. That has got to be the most beautiful trail in the world! Anyway, Thomas was exhausted from work and in lots of pain from his Monday work out with the football team and didn’t want to come, but he was a real trooper and waddled along beside us, complaining cheerfully.

Well, today I have a meeting. Yuck. Not because it will be unpleasant, but because there are so many other things I need and want to do. Still, it will be fun to visit with the rest of the stake young women’s presidency. They are fun and awesome friends.

Well, here are my thoughts after studying Preach My Gospel this morning. First, Gal 5:22-25 says in part that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. The next verse basically says that through the Holy Ghost, the affections and lusts of the flesh are mastered. It is interesting to me that the fruits of the Spirit are not things vauled by the world, with the exception of joy, yet these are the very things that bring joy!

I’ve also been thinking more about commitments and covenants. I made a commitment yesterday morning to eat wisely. I started out fine but then the donuts arrived.  I did not keep my commitment; I planned to eat only one, but I ate more.  I am beginning to realize that every time I keep a commitment, it strengthens my ability to keep my covenants and every time I don’t keep a commitment, it weakens my ability to keep my covenants. So when I keep commitments I am in essence keeping my covenants.

Well, Matt, that’s all for now! I have to go make Miriam a salad to eat at work for lunch. I make enough for me to eat for lunch, too. I love you very much! It is so nice to write to you every day. It helps us keep in touch with you, and brings our whole family together. Have a great day!

Que Te Vaya Bien!
Mucho amore,
Mamacita.

PS. In case you get this letter before the email I just sent, it says the following: What?? Weird!! You sent an email on Tues. What's up with that? How awesome to get on the email this morning and be surprised with a message already. So fun! Do you get to be on the email today, too? I hope so!
(Blog note:  The email said, "Thanks, Mom.  Lily is really cute!"  I had sent him 3 picts of Lily with Pooh Bear and Piglet)

No comments:

Post a Comment