Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21 2012--Dear Elder: Family News, Pondering

Dear Elder Cole,

Hi!  Thanks for the email you sent us yesterday.  It was sure nice to read.  Dad told me last night that he got one from you, too.  You have no idea how happy you made him.  How are you doing?  Sounds like you really get some nice rest and relaxation on P-days and I think that's great!  I hope you are all rested now and ready for another week of learning!

What?? I just looked at the clock.  Is it really 8:42?? I got up at 6:30.  Where did all the time go?    My how time flies!  Well, Dad had a hard time getting to sleep last night and he's still sleeping now which is good.  Miram left for work, and and Grandma is also still sleeping.  That leaves just me in a nice peaceful house. :)

Yesterday was a very nice day.  In the morning, Dad and I went bike riding.  We started at the house and rode down into the river bottoms.  Actually, I walked my bike down the hill because it's a steep hill and I didn't want one of our brake cable's snapping and one of us dying.  Then we biked along the rode that cuts across the river bottoms and rode along the river trail.  We had lots of fun.  We saw a snake and lots of little varmits that infest the area and eat wheat from the fields.  We saw one particularly hefty one that we dubbed "Fat Varmit" in honor of Fat Albert.  Then we rode back home and again we walked our bikes up the hill because exercise is great and all that, but let's not over do it, right?

Well, Grandma was awake all day yesterday.  I guess she's making up for all those days that she slept most the day.  Because of this, we didn't do much.  We did buy another watermelon for Grandma and also some Stouffer's food for her.  In the evening I went to young men/young women with Miriam and helped kids do indexing.  I brought my little notebook computer.  As you probably know, indexing is where they digitize records like census records so that the names and information are searchable for family history work.  Miriam did 80 names last night.  She's really good at indexing.

Jon called this morning.  He called the temp service yesterday and today and they didn't have any jobs.  He's getting real nervous.  I told him to spend the day applying for jobs. I really hope he does that.  When we moved Jon in, we saw signs of other roommates all over the place, but Jon hasn't seen anyone's face yet.  That one room is still closed and there is still music coming from it, but no one has emerged even to go to the bathroom.  The Mystery of the Missing Roommates!!!

Both Katrina and Thomas called me yesterday.  It was nice to hear that Katrina is still happy and having a great time.  She went to a talk on preaching the gospel, and I told her that you would like that.  It was also nice to finally hear from Thomas.  He is happy, too, and really likes his roommate and his EFY group.  This is his first EFY ever, and I think it's really making an impression on him.

I have no idea what we will do today--guess that depends on Grandma.  We kind of wanted to tour the pay gardens at Thanksgiving Point or ride the tram at Sundance, but we'll see about that.  We definitely plan to grill steaks tonight for dinner.  Miriam gets home at 5:00 and leaves for an amusement park with the young men and young women at 7:00, so that leaves us plenty of time to have a grilled steak dinner with her.

I never don't not use multiple negatives, ha ha!  Actually you are right--the fact that you could decipher my meaning shows the height, depth, and breath of our mutual understanding :) Thanks for the insights about pondering.  They really did help me.

I pondered better this morning than I have in a long time.  First, I had to sleep, though.  Usually when I try to ponder, that's the first thing that happens.  When I woke up, though, I resumed pondering the following scripture:  "And this is my gospel—repentance and baptism by water, and then cometh the baptism of fire and the Holy Ghost, even the Comforter, which showeth all things, and teacheth the peaceable things of the king"
(Doctrine and Covenants 39:6).  I pondered the question, "What does peaceable mean?"  I wrote my thoughts as I pondered, and I didn't worry if they made much sense or followed any order.

I eventually began pondering on how Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace, and how the atonement of Jesus Christ brings ultimate peace.  I wrote down some ways that the atonement brings peace, and was reminded that if I always remember the Prince of Peace, I will be filled with peace.  That thought led me to look up the words of Mormon in Ether 12:41 that say, "And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.
This scripture goes along so well with my past studies that I knew I was studying with the Holy Ghost to guide me.

I pondered on how to seek Jesus, and made a goal for today to not only do good, but to remember that I am doing good for Christ's sake, and seek Him in everything that I do.  Again, thank you for your pointers on pondering.  They helped me so much!

Well, Matt, I have a big long list of things to get for you.  Maybe that is what we'll do today--shop for them.  We love you very much and hope you have a wonderful day.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment