Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 16--Dear Elder: EFY, Time with Brian, Moving Jon to College

Dear Elder,

Well, the week is in full swing now.  How are you doing? When is your departure date from the MTC?  How is your studying coming along?  I hope we hear from you soon!

We got it all done yesterday.  For one thing, Thomas and Katrina are at EFY.  I hope they are safe and happy.  We sent Katrina with a phone, but she has not called.  I trust that is a sign that all is going well.

It was a nice day yesterday which is true more because of outlook than anything else since nothing out of the ordinary happened.  After we dropped off the kids I did my weekly laundry at the landromat. While the clothes were washing and then drying, Dad and I drove to get gas and shop at Costco.  I found a nice big umbrella at Costco for a very good price to use at our outdoor table.  It is a beach umbrella so it is light and easy to use.  I've been wanting one for a long time, and you can't beat $25.  After Costco, we went to Subway for lunch.  As we sat at the Subway on 900 East, we marveled that 3 of our kids are currently residing within blocks of where we were eating lunch!  It made me feel close to you, Matt.

Miriam worked yesterday till 5:30.  She got offered a full time job at HR yesterday which means she no longer has to work in foods or to wonder if she will get enough hours.  I may have already mentioned that HR is nice because she gets to work in a air conditioned building and wear normal clothes instead of a uniform.  The other day she went to work in a long black dress.  That's our Miriam!  She works with a girl named Alyssa who is a returned missionary and listens to conference talks while they work :)

One of the reasons it was such a nice day was that I didn't have to worry about Grandma while I was gone since Jon checked on her and let us know that she was asleep.  I wish that Dad and Jon could have gone coyote hunting yesterday.  That would have been so cool!  As it was, I think it was a pretty dull day for Jon.  Today, however, will be a busy one for him because he and Dad and I are driving up northso that he can get an apartment, move in, and find a job.  We will be driving the van loaded with his stuff and he will be driving his car.

I get to go keep Dad company on the long drive because Elizabeth has kindly agreed to come and keep an eye on Grandma for part of the time that we will be gone.  She is so sweet to do that!  I figure Grandma will sleep the whole time since lately she's been waking up around 3:30 in the afternoon.  These days, even getting bathed and changed in the morning doesn't wake her up.

After doing the laundry, I left Dad to work on cutting down a tree at Grandma's and I got home before Grandma woke up.  It was also a nice day because I got everything done that I needed to do including laundry, finances, and grocery shopping.  That may not seem like any big deal, but at the first of summer, it took me an entire week to get all that done!  It sure is nice to have Miriam driving!

When Miriam and Dad got home, we ate dinner and had family home evening.  I can't find Grandpa's life story anywhere; It's not in my family history stuff, but I did find the 60 memories of Grandpa that the family wrote out for his 60th birthday, and we read those.  They really paint a good picture of how interesting, fun, and loving Grandpa is.  We also looked at pictures of him.

After family home evening, I went outside and found that a couple of neighbors had gathered next door, so I joined them for a good chat for about an hour.  I found out that Jason across the street is at EFY this week too.  What a coincidence!  They may see a lot of each other because they are both in the same section.  That would be cool, eh?  I had so much fun catching up with the neighbors.  I love our neighborhood!

After that, Miriam and I drove to get Dad who was back at the laundry again.  By that time it was 10:30 so we read scriptures in the car.  After Dad and I put Grandma to bed, I put myself to bed, and Dad went out to exercise which must have been very painful because of the big blister on the bottom of his foot.  Maybe he rode a bike, but that would have been dangerous in the dark.  Whatever he did, he survived because he's in bed right now, sawing logs.

We plan to leave with Jon by 8:30.  I sure hope we get off that soon so that I can be home at a decent hour.  I hope we find a nice place for Jon to stay and that he finds a job soon.  Life is pretty stressful for him right now with everything up in the air.

Yes, I studied Preach my Gospel today and read many wonderful scriptures about the Holy Ghost.  I am trying to ponder more, which is not something I have never been good at doing, but which is something that my patriarchal blessing says I need to do every day.  When I do ponder, I really feel the Holy Ghost in my life.  Studying Preach My Gospel helps me feel closer to you too, Matt, since you are studying it, also!

That's it for today, Matt.  Have a good one.  Be happy and work hard.  I love you so much!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment