Sunday, January 5, 2014

Dec 15--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,
Good Morning!  How are you?  Did you have a good week last week?  Did you get your package? How are your clothes holding up?  Are you able to get new clothes there when you need them?  Are you feeling the Christmas spirit?  I hope so!  How is your companion?  What have you two been doing lately?  I am so glad that you are serving the Lord as a missionary.

I loved your last letter.  I am so glad that Gregorio and the two sisters got baptized, and that it was a beautiful experience.  Telling me that it is a “softly glowing coal in (your) memory” helps me to understand how you felt as I think of times in my own life that glow softly in my mind.  It gives me such a reverent feeling to read about your experience.

It’s around 8:00 on Sunday morning and everyone else is asleep.  I have no lights on, except Christmas lights on the garland, and I’m listening to “O Holy Night” playing softly.  It is one of my favorite Christmas hymns.  I especially like the phrase “fall on your knees…” because it reminds me of the glory and wonder of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the awe the shepherds felt that holy night.  I fills me with awe as I listen.

It is so good to be in a nice warm house, sitting comfortably, writing to you.  I am so thankful for our blessings!  I feel so grateful to be able to turn on warm water to bathe in and to crawl in to a soft warm bed to sleep in.  I never want to take those things for granted, and I know that there are many people who don’t have those things.  Dad was talking the other night about how when much is given, much is required.  I hope that we can use our blessings to serve God and not bury them like the unwise and slothful servant.

Displaying IMG_20131215_092344_425.jpg
Blurry Picture of the Nativity

This week has been a nice one.  We’ve wanted to do something to remember Grandma because it was a year in November that she passed away, so I called Sister Thompson at the rest home.  Do you remember her, Matt?  She taught you in primary when you were 3 or 4.  I asked her if she remembered you, and she said, “Of course I remember Matthew!  How could I ever forget him?”  We told her you were on a mission in Mexico and she thought that was wonderful.  Anyway, she still works at the rest home, even though she’s old enough to be living there, herself, ha ha.  She is an amazing lady, and I love and admired her very much.

Displaying IMG_20131215_092338_857.jpg
Blurry Picture of Christmas Upstairs

I made an appointment with Sister Thompson for the family to come to the rest home and have family home evening with the elderly residents there, in memory of Grandma.  Last Monday night was the night we went, and it was a wonderful experience.  Miriam couldn’t go because her class went late that night, so it was just Dad, Katrina, Thomas, and I.  Dad conducted the lesson.  He started by introducing us and then asking each resident present about their life experiences.  Then we had an opening prayer.  We took turns letting a resident of the home chose a piece from our little wooden clothespin nativity set, reading a scripture about the piece they chose and leading a Christmas song for all to sing that fit the character chosen.  At first we played a CD for accompaniment, but then Katrina began to play for us, and she did a wonderful job.  It was a good experience, and each family member commented later on how much easier and more rewarding it was to connect with the elderly after caring for Grandma the way we did.

We did some Christmas shopping this week.  Miriam and I went to the mall a couple of times including yesterday.  What a zoo!  If I had known how crazy it would be, I never would have gone, ha ha.  It was really nice to be with Miriam, though.  We bought Katrina PJ’s and Preston some jeans.  The other time she and I went to the mall was with Katrina and Thomas on Thursday.  That is the day of the week that Dad works at the laundry until late, so we called him to come join us at the food court, and he did.  We didn’t enjoy spending money on food away from home, but we were able to have dinner together as a family and enjoy each other’s company.  Dad went back to work after that, and we continued shopping.  We bought presents for Cassandra’s family, and it was so much fun.

Besides shopping, we have had some nice nights around the Christmas tree.  I think it was last Sunday that we finally got it all decorated, ha ha.  I love to sit around it, read about the life of our Savior, and sing Christmas songs.   We don’t have the Christmas story books this year, though, because we thought it would be fun to wrap them up for Elizabeth’s kids to open one every day till Christmas.   We are going to see the lights at Canyon View with them tomorrow.

Neither Katrina nor Thomas got chosen to be in the play, “Emma,” but they seem okay about it.  Thomas has gotten to hang out with friends a bit this week, and wanted to work out with the wrestling team in the mornings, but there were no workouts until next week, so he has that to “look forward to” on Monday.  Katrina also got to hang out with a friend, and Dad and I watched Dr. Who with her yesterday.  It is a nice way to connect with our girl.

Work has been going well.  I brought “Stone Fox” for one of the students I work with to read.  He is really enjoying it, and I think it is the first chapter book he has ever read.  Do you remember that book, Matt?  It is so good!  I am hoping that he will learn to love reading.  I really enjoy working one-on-one with the students.  I also enjoy taking them out into the community to gain experience, and being with them in the classroom.  I am also getting the hang of working every day.  I don’t come home and crash the way I used to, and am able to get done what I need to do around here and be a good mom to the family.
Displaying IMG_20131215_092224_102.jpg
Unblurry Picture of Downstairs

Friday, Dad and I did some shopping early on, and then we all went to the ward Christmas party.  Jon joined us, too, and we had a wonderful time.  We enjoyed eating the delicious food, visiting as a family, and talking to ward members.  It was a nice laid-back time.  We left quite early, and were home by 7:30 which is when I went to bed for the night.  I woke up a few times, but was able to fall back asleep after awhile, and didn’t officially wake up till 9:30 the next morning.  It was so nice to get so much sleep.

Yesterday, Katrina went to a friend’s, Thomas went skeet shooting with the young men, Dad worked at the laundry and took a nap, and Miriam and I shopped, as I mentioned previously.  After that, Dad and I went out to eat and shopped a bit and then he went to his friend Patrick’s house to work on guns.  He and Patrick are becoming good friends, and I’m so glad.  I got to bed early again, and had another good sleep.

Well, that’s about it.  Today we are going to church (of course) and Dad and Thomas plan to take cookies to their home teaching family.  I look forward to having some family time tonight and hopefully having a lesson together.  Last Sunday, btw, we watched the First Presidency Christmas Broadcast and ate good food.  It was wonderful.  After that is when we decorated the Christmas tree.  Oh, did I tell you we painted the windows at the laundry as a family for a Christmas present for Vic?  We did.  It was a couple of weeks ago, at the beginning of December, and it was very fun.  Actually, Katrina, Thomas, and I painted while Dad worked, but he helped a bit, too.  Miriam was at work.  Katrina painted a Christmas tree and a wreath, Thomas painted a snow man and a snow lady, and I painted “Season’s Greetings” because that is what Vic likes the window to say.  Also, just so you know, It is freezing around here.  It’s amazing how quickly we get used to it, though.  Of course, car heaters and furnaces help out at ton, ha ha!

I love you, Matt.  Have a good week, okay?  Hey, I hope you get a chance to do some Christmas caroling!  It would be a great missionary tool.  You could give candy canes with a scripture taped to them.  I wish that the family was more interested in caroling than they are.  When we dropped the Christmas story book to Elizabeth’s family, I could only get them to sing one song, and I’m afraid that is the extent of our Christmas caroling for the year, ha ha.  Anyway, take care, Matt.  Our prayers are with you, and we look forward to your letter!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment