Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jan 12--Dear Elder

Dear Matt,

Hi, and thank you for the wonderful letter that you sent last week.  I really enjoyed hearing about what you are doing.  I don't ask as many questions in my letters than maybe I should because I think that you know the questions I have in my mind.  How are you doing?  Who are you teaching?  What are you studying and pondering?  How is your companion?  I love it when you tell me about all those things and whatever else is important to you.  I am glad that you and your companion could go on splits with the other missionaries and help them to get along with each other.  I hope that they are doing better.

I really don't have much to say about this week.  Sunday evening we tried to make a video to send to you for your birthday, but it didn't work out.  Monday night, we were able to make the video and I sent it to you via snail mail on Thursday.  I really hope that you get it.  I don't even care if you get it for your birthday, just so long as you get it at all, ha ha.  It is a long, kind of boring video--74 minutes, so you can watch it bit by bit if you want.  We just wanted to send you something more than usual.  If you do get it by your birthday, that would pretty much be a miracle.  Also, Sunday night we had a family home evening lesson given by me.  It was on keeping our covenants.  Dad is giving the lesson this coming week.

This week I also did monthly shopping and other vague, uninteresting things.  I worked very hard at the high school to help the special needs kids that I track to get good grades.  Thursday was the last day of the semester.  The great thing about that is that the kids and I got Friday off.  The sad thing is that Dad didn't :(  Still, Friday was very fun.  Elizabeth and her two little girls came to visit me and Katrina.  Katrina was so sweet and played with the girls and kept them happy while Elizabeth and I painted plaster nativity figures that I got Elizabeth's family for Christmas.  Thomas hung out with Jon till five.  They shopped and did errands and then barbequed pork chops.  I had a little taste of one, and it was delicious.  When Dad came home, he and I went to the temple and it was a wonderful experience.  After that we went home and watched North and South which is not a movie about the civil war, but a movie about a young woman who moves from south England to north.  We really enjoyed it.  Miriam, Katrina, and Thomas went to the movie theater and watched "Saving Mr. Banks" which is a movie that I really like.

Also this week, I have been going over your letters for the year, Matt, and compiling excerpts of them to give to Brother Sales to put in the ward history.  The excerpts I am choosing are the ones about your missionary work and your thoughts about missionary work and the gospel.  It is slow going, and I am now in September of your letters.  It is good to skim through your letters, Matt, and see your growth and the lessons you have learned.  Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.  I know that it must be very hard to do.

Tomorrow we are going to Rick and Kelly's ward to hear Ben's pre-mission talk.  He goes into the MTC on Wednesday, I believe.  We have to leave at 7:00 in the morning to get to their 9:00 church in time.  Today I made soup and a nice green salad to bring to the farewell.  I have also cleaned, worked on your history, and even read a bit.  I am reading North and South because the series was so good, I wanted to try the book.  Now I think that I am going to cut Thomas's hair.  Oh, we also went to Thomas's basketball game which they won, but he says that's because they were playing ninth graders and that when they play their fellow tenth graders, they probably won't do so well, ha ha.

Ben's Farewell

Other random things.  I've been getting more sleep lately, hooray!  Oh, Miriam broke up with Preston.  It looks like it's for good this time, although you can never be real sure.  She works less, now, and just started a new semester.

Okay, now its Sunday evening and we are home from Ben's farewell. I drove up to their house while Dad slept because he didn't get much sleep last night.  Ben gave a very good talk about spiritual learning and worldly learning, the importance of each, and reconciling the two.  After their meetings we went to their house for lunch and to visit.  My cousin, Wallace's oldest daughter, lives fairly close to them now, and she and her family were there, so it was nice to reconnect with them.  Jessica and Henry were there. Sadly, Elizabeth and her family couldn't come.  Still, it was a very enjoyable time.  When we got home, everyone slept for an hour or so, but we are all awake now.  I think we will probably have a family home evening lesson given by Dad tonight.  That will be nice.  Elizabeth is planning a family reunion in July.  The cabin we will all be staying at is very nice, so that should be fun.

Well, Matt, please tell us what you've been thinking, teaching, and doing over this last week, and have a wonderful week to come.  Remember that Heavenly Father and your family love you very much!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment