Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jan 5 Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

Hi!  How are you doing this week?  I hope that things are going well, that you are really hitting your stride, that you are declaring the work without fear and with power from on high. I really enjoyed your last letter, so thanks for writing it.

I am so glad that you at least had the package from Grandpa and Grandma to open on Christmas.  Also, before I forget, what kind of SD card does your camera have.  Please tell us in this very next email because we need to know.  I am so happy, and also jealous, that you got to eat tamales on Christmas.  Do you know how to do any Mexican cooking, or do people always cook for you?  You'd better learn all you want to know quickly so that you can do some awesome cooking for us when you get home, ha ha.  You may want to get some recipes of your favorite dishes if you don't know how to make them. We have some pretty good Latino markets around here, so hopefully you'll be able to get the ingredients you need.

I am sorry that you didn't feel the Christmas spirit as strongly this year.  I am happy, though, that you were able to listen to some devotional talks and read about Jesus' birth.  I am also glad that you found an internet cafe to write letters in.

Yes, Lily really is getting big, isn't she?  It was so fun to hear her talking and see how much she's grown.  It's sad, though, because it's hard to understand what she's saying over the phone, and I bet that's frustrating for her to have us not understand what she's saying.  The other day she called me up on the phone, and it was really fun to talk to her.  She also left the family a nice long cute message on the answering machine. As far as I can make out, she said, "Oh, hey! Hey, hey, hey.  I got's it...Hi, Mommy.It's not working. Oh...Uh oh...No..hold it...Bye ya'll!  Bye y'all...She's going to the movie.  Uh oh.  She's sad.  She sad, Mommy.  She needs hugs."
I think she was talking about her baby doll there at the end, ha ha.  Anyway, we sure had a nice visit with them when they came.

Emerson, Cassandra, and Lily left last Saturday at 4.  They loaded up, and Lily yelled, "Bye. Bye. see ya soon!"  Not soon enough!  Cassandra called the next day to let us know that they got home okay, and it was really good to hear her voice.  Monday night I dreamed that Cassandra was back here again.  I knew that for them to be here, they would have had to turn around and driven back here the same day they got home, and I knew they couldn't do that, so I kept asking Cassandra if they really were here, and she kept saying, "Yes," but when I asked her to promise, she wouldn't answer.  I woke up crying because I knew they really hadn't come back.

Monday we had to drive 2 and a half hours to a national park so that Thomas could become a junior ranger.  Yes, Matt, you will be proud to know that your baby brother is an official, sworn-in, badge-carrying junior ranger.  He had to do it for history in order to get an "A."  We had a nice time there and back visiting and talking, and we learned a whole lot.  It was not the way we would have chosen to spend our Monday off, but it turned out to be fun.

Thomas, The Junior Ranger

Tuesday, of course, was New Year's Eve, and I think Dad and I did something together during the day.  That night, Thomas went off with friends, and Miriam, Katrina, Dad, and I played "Mormon Bridge" together.  I won.  We watched a movie after that, and I went to bed early.  I did wake up close to midnight long enough to text Jon a "Happy New Year," because I figured he'd be awake, and to hear all the fireworks and noise outside.  Dad told me later that Katrina came down and told him that they had to watch the ball drop, so Dad and Katrina did that.  I figured that, unlike many things around here, the New Year was perfectly capable of doing it's thing without my help, and that's why I went to bed, ha ha.

The days run together in my mind, but Dad and I walked in the canyon a couple of times during the break, which I really enjoyed.  Katrina drove us to Cabela's to get some hours of driving in.  I think that may have been on Monday.  Also, Katrina and Thomas went to the movies New Year's day.  Whatever we did, it was a good break from the old grind.

We had to go to two days of school and work last week, Thursday and Friday.  We all felt cheated for having to go to those two days of school, I tell you.  So now we are back to the old grind, but we have new memories, new resolve, and new clothes, ha ha.  I got a hair cut on Friday, so now it's short.  Saturday I had a meeting and then I worked at home, and so did the kids.  Dad went to the gun show.  Saturday night, we were able to have the sister missionaries over for dinner.  It was pretty exciting because that opportunity doesn't come around much here.  We fed them roast and vegetables, salad, and rolls.  Afterward they gave us a wonderful message about looking forward, not back, and we had ice cream for dessert.  I'm so glad that they came.  They left us with a wonderful spirit.

My Haircut

Today was a nice day at church.  It was Jordan's mission farewell, and also we had two baby blessings.  In Sunday School we had a lesson about God the Father, and in Relief Society our lesson was on following the prophet.  We are fasting today, but I have a meeting at 6:00, so we are going to eat at 5:00.  We are also making your birthday gift today, and will send it off tomorrow.  I sure hope it gets to you before the big day!  It isn't much, but we wanted to send you something besides the birthday money Dad sent.  I hope that you like it.  Remember to tell us what kind of SD card your camera takes.

I love you, Matt.  You are doing an awesome job.  Don't let Satan tell you otherwise!  We are all praying for you and love you very much.  Have a wonderful week.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment