Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dec 22--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,




Hello, and Merry Christmas!!!  First, the eternal question:  Did you get your package?  I really hope so, Matt.  Next questions, How are you doing?  You said last week was hard in many ways.  I am so sorry!  Are you feeling well?  I hope so.  How was it hard?  You can tell me because I have faith, not fear.  I'd rather know than not know.  That is really great about Gregorio, and I hope that he comes to church today.  How long has Elder Sullivan been your companion?  This last letter of yours is the first time you have mentioned him by name.  Is he a gringo?  I'm guessing he is since he said he is "fantabulous," ha ha.  How long has he been out?  I'm glad your little branch is growing and that members are now giving talks in church.

Okay, now for the biggest question of all...Do you get to Skype with us on Christmas??? I heard that you may not be able to.  I find that very hard to believe, and plan on getting to see your face and hear your voice, okay?

How were all the awesome things that you were looking forward to this week.  How was the Mission Christmas Activity in Mazatlan?  Did you get to hear Elder De Hoyos? What did he say? What is a Posada?  Was it fun?  Did you hear any general authorities speak at your multi-zone conference?  And lastly, but probably most important, were you able to go to Cosala and teach the three people that love the church?  How far away was it?  Did they respond well to your message?  You really had an amazing week, Matt.  I hope you will tell us a bit about it.

I'm glad your shirts are holding up, but are they still white??

Guess what?  Cassandra, Emerson, and Lily are here!  They got in at 1:00 in the afternoon on Friday.  We have had so much fun since then!   Katrina and I got to take Lily shopping and she did very well.  She especially liked the samples at Costco, ha ha.  Dad and I took Cassandra and Emerson out to eat last night and had a very enjoyable time.  Dad bought us a book about Christ that is a harmony of the gospels and modern scripture that give a chronological account of Christ's life.  It is comprised completely of scripture, and what I have read so far has been wonderful!


Cassandra wanted to surprise you with the news that she is pregnant in this week's email to you, but i guess Thomas spilled the beans.  Isn't it exciting?  I'll let her tell you what she's having.  We are all very excited.  Hey, I think we'll try to go out without Cassandra tomorrow somehow and buy an outfit for the new baby.  How fun!!!

So, mostly we've just been home playing lots.  For my email Christmas gift to you, I have taken pictures and am compiling a pictorial commentary of our Sunday for you.  I am sending it in another email in case it doesn't send well, in which case, you'll still get this one.  Emerson, Dad, Thomas, and Jon have been playing lots of games.  Jon was over yesterday and is planning to come over again today after 7:30.


We have all enjoyed getting reacquainted with Lily.  They got in before I was off work on Friday, and Lily was quite surprised to see me when I walked into the family room after work.  She wasn't quite sure how to handle it at first, so she ran around the room talking about "Gramma" for awhile before she led me upstairs to feed me cereal.  After we'd bonded with food, she was my best friend.  In fact, food was a valuable aid in solidifying the bond between her and each one of us.  She loves the stairs and climbs up and down as often as possible.  In fact, she's inviting me to go down with her right now.


Okay, three minutes later, we're back.  We all just had breakfast for lunch and are now getting ready to go to church which starts in 15 minutes.  Lily knows lots of Christmas songs, so I hope she'll have fun singing the hymns today.  I hope that she enjoys nursery in our ward.  I hear that she gets pretty obsessive about snacks in nursery, ha ha.


It was a good week.  Now that I'm a teacher, I get lots of Christmas gifts from students and co workers, many of which are sweets, so needless to say, I am not doing the best job keeping my weight down.  I figure if I lose 20 lbs a year Jan to Aug and gain back ten every Sept-Dec, I'm probably doing okay, ha ha.  I really need to start exercising again.  That's what January is for, right?

Thomas finished his cooking merit badge this week.  Miriam finished her finals, and Katrina did stuff.  Monday night we went to Festival of Lights with Elizabeth's family.  It was very fun.  First we had dinner together, then Joy told us the Christmas story, and then we went to see the lights.  We had all the girls in our car and Daniel and Elizabeth had the boys in their car.  Later I realized that meant that they didn't get to have any little kids in their car to get excited about the lights.  I didn't feel too bad, though--they get to have little kids around all the time, ha ha.

Friday night, Cassandra's family went to bed early, and the rest of us went to a Christmas party at Renee's house.  It was nice to spend an evening with Dad's sister and her family.  At the party we got to meet Becky's friend, Jim.  He is a very nice guy, and we like him a lot.   The rest of us (Don and Renee, Bethany, and Brett's wife and kids) had a nice time eating, visiting, and singing Christmas carols.  I'm so glad that we could go.

Well, those are the highlights of our week, Matt. It is now 7:32 Sunday night.  It feels more like 9:30, I'm so tired, ha ha.  I'm glad the longest day of the year is behind us and that now the days will get longer and longer.  I can't believe that Christmas is almost here.  Soon, Christmas will be a memory, and we will be celebrating your birthday and mine.  Time sure flies when you're old.  Can you imagine how fast time must have flown for Methuselah?  Weird, really.

Courtney and her family are over visiting, and everyone is having a wonderful time.  Katrina is exhausted, though, because she's been chasing Lily all day long, and now she is playing with Courtney's girls.  She has been a real trouper.  Katrina and Thomas have also been doing their part.  Periodically, the doorbell will ring, and we will open it to neighbors dropping off more goodies.  It is good to have Courtney's family here to share them with.

Jon is supposed to be coming over, but we haven't seen him yet.  I texted him, so I hope I'll hear from him soon.  Okay, he's here now and visiting with Cassandra and Courtney.  Thomas went outside and says it's perfect out there.  So, now you know, 27 degrees is the perfect temperature, ha ha.

Well, Matt, I'd better go.  I hope the pictures get to you and that you like them.  I also hope that you have a very Merry Christmas.  Most of all, I hope that we get to Skype with you on Christmas day.  I know its chaotic, but I love seeing your face and hearing your voice.  It will be the best Christmas present ever!  We love you and miss you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment