Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Jan 27--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

Hi.  How are you doing?  Did you have a nice birthday?  I hope you were able to teach many people the gospel on your birthday and throughout the week.  I am so glad that Ellery went to church and that he is really interested in the gospel.  What a wonderful thing!  Martina sounds like a neat lady and I wish I could have seen the demonic chicken that chased Martina's grand kids.  So funny!  What happened this week with your investigators?  Have you been to any conferences lately?

We had a nice week. Monday was a day off for all of us which was really nice.  What a wonderful feeling on Sunday evening to realize that there is no work the next day!  Abby and Paige came over and watched the first few hours of the BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice with Katrina, Thomas hung out with Hayden, etc, and Dad and I went to a movie about a transport ship that was captured by pirates.  It is a true story and it was very good.  Later that night we went out to eat for grade rewards and had a wonderful time as a family.  Then we had a family home evening lesson given by Miriam.  It was based on a talk given by President Eyring to the student body at BYU Idaho and was a very good lesson.

Tuesday and Wednesday are a bit of a blur, but I tried hard to be productive and do the right things.  I didn't remember Jesus Christ as much as I want to, though, and I recommitted while partaking of the bread and water today to remember more faithfully this week and trust on the strength of the Lord.
Wednesday, Miriam got mixed up and gave me flowers and balloons for my birthday.  She was going to take them to school and give them to me there until she found out that my birthday was later, ha ha.  I'm so glad she didn't bring them to my work, but that I could enjoy them in the quiet of our own home.  They are beautiful.

Thursday at work we went on a field trip to see an art exhibit. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all there is to see at art exhibits, but this time I determined to concentrate on the faces in the artwork.  I examined each face and tried to understand how each person was feeling.  The very first painting displayed was of Christ being comforted by the angel as he suffered for the sins of the world. I've seen this painting before, but have been distracted by the angel and the wings that almost dwarf the suffering Christ, but this time I gazed into the face of the Savior and saw the suffering there.  It touched me very deeply, Matt, and deepened my love for Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, Thomas hung out with his friends again and the girls and I went shopping for clothes for me.  It was very nice of them to go, and I actually found some things, so I am a happy lady.  It was very fun to be with them.  Dad went to his old teacher, Mr Brady's, viewing that night.  He was Dad's favorite teacher, a humble World War II veteran who taught Dad much about the sorrows of war.  

Friday Miriam sent me to school with treats to share with my students, which was very sweet of her.  The students loved them.  After school, I slept and then Dad and I went out to eat and then we came home and watched the new Superman movie which was meh.

Saturday Katrina and I went to a youth camp leader breakfast for this year's girl's camp.  Katrina doesn't really like camp, but she said the meeting went well without me even asking her about it, so I know that it was a good one.  The girls did a lot of planning for camp.  My job was to do a gathering activity for the girls, so I had them make "little sisters" out of sticks, cloth, etc.  The girls were to take care of the little sisters they made throughout the breakfast and the ensuing planning sessions.  Whenever we found an abandoned "little sister" we confiscated it.  The girls who still had their little sisters at the end of the meeting got a little prize.  At camp, these girls are assigned to be big sisters to some of the younger girls, so we used this activity to remind them to look over their little sisters at camp.  They really liked it.

After that, I took a nap.  I think I got three naps that day, ha ha.  Later we went out as a family and had fun walking around some shops even though it was very cold.  After that, we went home and ate steak made by Dad and then Dad re-hung my throw depicting Christ helping two children climb up rocks.  Remember it, Matt?  I had Dad take it down when we repainted the house.  I taped back the fringe so it doesn't show and bought new rods to hold it up  in order to update it's look.  Dad was not thrilled about having to re-hang it, but I told him that's what I wanted for my birthday, so he did it and it went quite smoothly.  It was very sweet of him, and it looks wonderful.

Today I went to 5 hours of church because I went to another ward's ward conference as well as our own ward.  It was a wonderful blessing because I was able to partake of the sacrament twice, which I needed since the first time I took it today, I wasn't as focused as I wanted to be, but the second time I was focused and was able to repent and renew with a sincere heart.  I can feel the strength from partaking fervently of the bread and water.  I needed that strength because before that I was feeling overwhelmed and discouraged.  I needed that second opportunity to humble myself before God and put my life, once again, in the Savior's hands.

When I finally got home, we had a birthday celebration.  It was so wonderful having Jon there celebrating with us!  The family bought me a mirror to go over my dresser, and Dad got me a new Hello Kitty watch because I asked him to fix my old one for my birthday, but he bought another one on clearance instead along with a special two-year warranty so that I can be guaranteed of it's working for me at least that long.  I thought the gifts were very thoughtful, and I love them.  We also ate potstickers, which were delicious, and then we had root beer floats.  It was so fun doing madlibs for my birthday and also just visiting with the family.

After that, I visited Sylvia next door.  Kellie and Christ have moved to Texas and she is alone until Bob and his family move in come May.  I know it is lonely for her, and it was good to visit with her.  I also invited her to come watch the Joseph Smith movie with the family tonight.  She declined, which I figure she would, but I think she knows I care, and I hope she will come over one of these long winter evenings so that we can keep her company.

Then I had two more hours of meetings which went well.  Actually, I was a half hour late for the first meeting because of visiting Sylvia, but I wasn't real worried about it and didn't miss much.  While I was at the meetings, Dad, Katrina and Thomas watched old home movies, and when I got home we had Family Home Evening.  Katrina gave a wonderful lesson on the Holy Ghost and then we watched the Joseph Smith movie which was also wonderful.  I have been studying the First Vision lately, Matt, and was able to hear President Geslison speak on it again today at the ward conference I attended.  I am know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to the prophet Joseph!  What a wonderful manifestation of God's love for His children that he still speaks to us through prophets today.  With God with us, what can be against us?

Well, that is our week, Matt.  What is yours? I can't wait to read about it!  Have a wonderful day and a wonderful week.  I know that you are doing the work of the Lord and that He will continue to guide and bless you with His spirit.
Love,
Mom

P.S. I forgot to tell you about the present I got from Lily.  Cassandra took a video of her and on it she said, "Happy Birtday, Grandma," and "I love you!"  She also sang a song.  It was so cute, and the perfect present.

No comments:

Post a Comment