Monday, April 22, 2013

Dear Elder: Last Installment

Now it is Sunday morning, and I realize that I forgot to tell you about our family home evening last Monday night.  The plan was to have it with Elizabeth and her family and Jessica and her husband Henry, but that got rescheduled to tomorrow, so we went to the laundry instead and worked to clean it in order to earn money for the general missionary fund.  When 5 people are working hard, the work gets done quickly, but we did earn some money to contribute the way President Monson asked us to do.  Hopefully, this won't be the only time we do that.

Yesterday was a rough day.  It was just about like any other day except that my outlook, which I tried to keep to myself, was negative and fearful.  You know how I said yesterday, that when I have to choose between writing to you and reading my scriptures, I choose scripture reading?  Well, yesterday I knew I had time for both, and I wrote to you first, and completely forgot to read my scriptures.  By the time I remembered it was 2:00 pm, and the day was not going well.  I read my scriptures then, and felt much better.

Good things did happen, though.  Katrina and I finished the marionette that I bought her way back in July.  It was one of those marionettes they sell in Mexico, and it had a bright red face, a big black mustache, and it held a gun in one hand.  For some reason, Katrina wanted it to look differently, ha ha.  We painted the face and hands and made it look like a little boy.  We gave him overalls and a checked shirt, and kept the straw hat he came with.  He is pretty cute.  Yesterday we drilled the sticks and strung the marionette.  It is all finished now and hanging from Katrina's ceiling.  So far, Miriam hasn't complained about that.

Thomas and I gave his room a good cleaning, and it looks wonderful now.  Also, Thomas mowed the front lawn despite the rain, and Katrina cleaned her room and cleaned out the car.  She started to vacuum it, but it began to sprinkle and I didn't want her to get electrocuted, so I had her stop.

Sadly, Miriam didn't pass her licence exam and has to retake it Monday.  It also looks like Thomas won't be working this summer.  Interviews for the water park took place yesterday, and he didn't have one.  Then there's him not getting on the ballot for student council. I was overwhelmed by my weaknesses and inadequacies that contributed to these things not happening, especially the things with Thomas.  But after reading my scriptures, my faith and trust in Heavenly Father were strengthened, I could see our disappointments for what they are, temporary setbacks with lessons to be learned.  I know that if we stay faithful to Heavenly Father, all things work together for our good.  Thomas was a good example to me yesterday.  He stayed happy and cheerful despite the setbacks.  And with my attitude adjustment, I was able to encourage him and share a few scriptures with him, in other words, be the mom I need to be.  I can really see how Satan works hard to kick us when we are down and how Heavenly Father lifts us when we are down when we turn to Him.

I've been talking to your Dad on the phone.  He is on his way home.  I love him so much!  He had a really fun time, hung out with really good guys, and looks forward to doing it again.  I'm so glad.  He needs more opportunities like this.

Hi, Matt.  It's early Monday morning, and I'd better get this off to you.  I pray daily for you that you will be teachable, full of love and be filled with and speak with the power of the Holy Ghost.  I pray often for your investigators, that they will be converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Please let us know how things are going for you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment