Monday, April 8, 2013

April 8--Dear Elder: Last Installment for the Week. Driving Home, General Conference



Our drive home on Friday was nice.  We talked a lot, and Dad told the kids the story of how he decided to go on a mission.  I know it made an impression on them.  The a/c worked well with the new radiator put in.  Seems like the only time we have car trouble is on trips, ha ha.  Do you remember when the fuel pump went out in the Suburban on the way to Disneyland and we had to leave it with a mechanic and rent a van?  Then there was the time when you were little that our transmission went out and we had to stay in a hotel three days while they put in a new one.  Grandpa and Grandma brought the new transmission up and took us to the park and bought us Taco Bell.  Do you remember that at all?  

Conference has been wonderful!  I want to share a bit of what I learned in the Saturday sessions with you.  

President Monson, announced the plans for two new temples, and asked us to contribute to the general missionary fund if we are able because of the huge influx of young people planning to serve missions, some of whom may have limited funds to go.

My favorite talk Saturday was by Henry B. Eyring.  He referred to a scripture that you and I have been discussing lately, Doctrine and Covenants 88:63, which says, ''Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.''  He promised us as we draw near to the Lord in faith, serving him with all our hearts, the Lord will draw near to our children.  I believe his promise and am committed to drawing nearer to Heavenly Father.

Sister Elaine S. Dalton, General President of the Young Women, also gave a wonderful talk, reminding us of the scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 82:10 which says, "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."  She spoke of the worthy young women of the Church who know that they are daughters of our Heavenly Father and of their amazing contribution and potential. She spoke with power and with the Holy Ghost.

President Packer spoke of priesthood, faith, and power.  He said that there are few things more powerful than the prayers of a faithful mother.  I know this is true, and it gives me deep comfort.

Dean M. Davies of the Seventy told us to build our foundation on Jesus Christ, a foundation upon which if we build, we cannot fall.  He said that praying, scripture reading, and partaking of the Sacrament of the Lord's supper will help us build on the foundation of Christ.

I loved Elder Craig A. Cardon's talk.  He talked about how much the Savior loves us and wants to forgive us, and will forgive us as often as we repent. 

Elder Ballard spoke with great power and authority concerning the priesthood of God.  He encouraged us to use and apply the training videos put out by the Church about strengthening the family through the priesthood.

And that was just Saturday morning!  All the talks were wonderful, and I can't wait to get them in print to study them more in depth.  I made some goals based on counsel from Conference. Two of the goals I made were to study the conference talks more faithfully by myself and with the family and to open our home more to others.  I want to start by inviting Elizabeth and her family and also Jessica and Henry over for FHE.  

I love you, Matt.  Hang in there, you are doing better than you think!  Heavenly Father loves you, and you are truly an instrument in His hands to bring His gospel to the people of Mexico.  I hope you can feel the prayers we say for you.  I know that they will bless you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment