Saturday, April 20, 2013

April 20--Dear Elder: Tardy Installment

Dear Elder,

Thank you so much for your letter last Monday.  Actually, writing to you is the only journal I am keeping till you come home.  I don't end up writing every day as I would like, but I'm glad that I write this much and that I can send you a nice long letter every week.  I appreciated your words to the family about having our foundation built upon Jesus Christ.  I have been studying about that, reading Bishop Davies' talk from general conference.  I studied the part about prayer yesterday.  I want to pray with more gratitude and also with the Holy Ghost in order to speak to the Lord less, and counsel with the Lord more.

It is Saturday, so I am very late in beginning your letter this week.  I'd like to study the gospel and write to you every single day, but on the days where I have to choose between the two because time is short, I know you would have me choose studying the gospel, and that's what I do.  As you say, holding on to the word of God keeps us from being dragged off the path to God by the temptations of the devil.

I worked four out of five days this school week, which is why I haven't written.  I did assessment testing 3 of those days, and substituted yesterday.  I didn't want to work at all yesterday, but Thursday and Friday were apparently the biggest subbing days of the year, and I got a call begging me to sub.  I had already promised to spend the day with Dad on Thursday, but subbed yesterday.  It was a bit of an ordeal, but I survived.

I didn't get much done this week, and would like to blame that on working, but I can't.  The truth is that I've been reading Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens, and was nearing the end, and couldn't put it down.  I finished it last night, though.  It was such a good book, and so wonderful to have it in my pocket on my smart phone to read during the down times of assessment testing.  I think, however, that I will have to stick to reading non fiction so that I won't get so hooked.  I want to read an obscure book called "Think Independently."  I don't know if I can get it on my kindle app, though.

Dad is out of town today.  He is participating in a WWII reenactment with his good friend, Richard.  I am so happy that he got to go!  Originally, he planned to leave on Thursday, but found out nothing was happening with the reenactment till Saturday, so he and I spent the day together on Thursday instead.  We went to the temple, did a bit of shopping, and got a late lunch.  We really enjoyed ourselves.

He spent all day yesterday driving, and I am very glad that we checked out some books on tape for him to listen to while he drove.  He called me last night from the "battle" sight, and said that listening to the book really helped him get through the many hours of driving.  I told him that he could say he spent the whole day sitting around "reading."  I hope he has fun battling today.

After work yesterday, I read a lot, of course, but I also talked to Cassandra and Lily on the phone a bit.  Cassandra is finally feeling better after being sick.  She couldn't talk long because she and Emerson were leaving on an over night er this weekend to celebrate their anniversary.  I also got her birthday present sent off.  I think she's going to like it!

I went to Katrina's play at the school.  It was written by a student in her drama class, and she played one of six murder suspects.  Everyone in the play died except the murderer.  Sounds like a typical drama student production, eh?  Katrina is an incredible actor, and I really enjoyed watching her perform.  She also performed in the Eiffel tower play again this week, in front of judges.  She doesn't know how they ranked yet.  Later last night, she and I watched an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show together.  It was weird, though, because Dick VanDyke wasn't in it.  It was one of the first episodes, so I guess that accounts for it.  Earlier this week, Dad and I watched the first ever Doctor Who episode with Katrina.  She wanted to see what the original Dr. Who was like, but she turned it off after awhile--said it was boring.

Miriam spent all last night studying for her license exam for State Farm.  She takes the test today, and really doesn't know if she will pass.  She says she's not ready, but her employers really want her to take it and she spent $80 to sign up for it, and would have to pay $40 to postpone it, so we'll see what she decides to do.

Thomas and Jon played disk golf in the evening and then came home to barbecue hamburgers in the back yard.   I joined them for awhile.  It was a beautiful night, a bit cold, but I wrapped up in that robe I made for Dad a long time ago out of a blanket, so I was nice and snugly.  They offered me a hamburger, but since I had eaten probably 5 yogurts throughout the evening, I declined.  After I came in, I showered and washed my clothes and the robe because we all smelled like campfire.

Thomas didn't make it on the ballot for student council because of miscommunications on how to get that done, so he is not on student council next year.  It is pretty darn sad.  He also didn't go to the track meet yesterday because of hurt knees.  He said he couldn't run.  He did do disc golfing with Jon, though, but he said that only involved walking, so he could do that.  hmmm...

We have been spending more time talking together and being together as a family, which is an answer to my prayers.  It is hard to get everyone off of their electronic devices and talking instead, but lately we have been talking in the evenings.  It is usually because of Jonny.  He really likes to sit around and talk.  Having him home for awhile has been a joy and a blessing.

I felt less safe going to bed last night without Dad around which is silly, because Jon is here, but I did.  I woke up at two o clock this morning, and it was raining pretty hard.  I went out and made sure the vent windows were shut in the van.  Wait, does the rain mean we can't mow today?  Aaarrrggghhh!  I hate having a scraggly lawn on Sunday.  Maybe we'll mow the lawn anyway later on if it dries up a bit.  Other than that, I don't have any real concrete plans for today except to go back to bed after I finish writing to you and to vacuum out the car sometime.   My phone just made a noise at me and I realize that I have to drive Katrina to choir.  I am still determined to go back to bed after that and sleep till she needs to be picked up at 9:30.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment