Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5---Dear Elder: Fourth of July Report

Thursday—Hi, Matt.  How are you doing?  I wonder what day is your preparation day.   I also wonder what you are up to.  Do they already have you preaching the gospel?  That would be awesome!  I hear that Tanner is already in Oregon.  I guess they only had him in the MTC for 3 weeks.  Jacob is also in Singapore.   I guess he lost his wallet.  Grandpa didn’t say it was stolen, but Jacob went to pay for something with his credit card, had all sorts of trouble getting it approved, and when that was all over, the wallet was gone.  Moral of the story—hang on to your wallet!   Tanner Tagg got home from his mission yesterday.  I think they had a big swim party in celebration.

Well, we did everything we planned to do yesterday.  We all went to the breakfast except Dad who stayed home and slept.  It was very nice and very patriotic.  Then I hung the flag up over the door and we went to the parade.  Grandma was still sleeping when we left.  It was very fun to walk the parade.   Miriam walked about half of it with us and then had to go to work.  The rest of us finished the whole thing and ended up at Seven Eleven for Slurpees.  After that, we split up.  Katrina and Thomas walked to the laundry to rest while Dad and I walked the parade route back to the car.  We walked about three and a half miles in all.  After that, we dropped Thomas off at work and drove home to take care of Grandma.

Later on, Dad, Katrina, and I went to the Colonial village and learned how coopers make barrels.  We also saw some incredible costumes, and tried a Joe Frogger which is a big molasses cookie.  It was delicious.  Then we picked up Thomas and Miriam from work and had a picnic in the park.  The weather by then had cooled down a bit (it got up to 100 yesterday) and we had a pleasant time.  Fireworks don’t start till late, so we went back home for awhile before heading back to see the fireworks which were beautiful!  That was our Independence Day!

Today it’s business as usual with everyone working.  It is cloudy outside which is good because it’s been so hot and dry, but it may mean the kids don’t work much.  Jon called this morning.  It’s cloudy  his way, too.  He said he didn’t do much on the Fourth, but he’s going to SOS today to see if there’s any work available.  It was good to hear his voice—its been a few days.  I didn’t hear from Cassandra yesterday, but I know that they were planning to watch “A More Perfect Union” and go over to friends for the Fourth.  That sounds like a nice way to celebrate.

I was pretty discouraged this morning as I started my studying because I don’t feel like I did very good yesterday at trying to be like Jesus.  But Alma 32:38 was a good reminder.  It said, “But if ye neglect the tree, and take no thought for its nourishment, behold it will not get any root; and when the heat of the sun cometh and scorcheth it, because it hath no root it withers away, and ye pluck it up and cast it out.”  Well, the heat of the sun was certainly scorching yesterday, ha ha.  This verse reminds me to keep nourishing the word and to not let it wither just because things get hard sometimes, so I’m hanging in there!  I Love you, Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment