Sunday, July 1, 2012

June 30--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,
Thus begins my first official letter to you in Mexico.  I have no idea when this will get to you, but I trust it will not take too long.  Of course we all have many questions for you about what things are like in your first area, at the mission home, and with your first companion.  We can’t wait to get a letter from you, but we will :)

Saturday-- Yesterday Dad and I went to the temple together.  It was so wonderful!  I really felt the Spirit and was edified.  Today is brighter for me because I was at the temple yesterday.  I am so grateful that I am married to your Dad who is willing and worthy in every way to take me to the temple, not just on our wedding day, but throughout our days together on the earth.  And just think, because of the temple, he and I and you and the other kids will be together forever!

Miriam, Preston, Katrina, and Thomas all went to the movies together last night.  They watched “Brave” and really liked it.  They were surprised it was so short, but I told them that most all animations are short.  They bought ice cream and brought it home to eat.  Dad and I and Grandma were in the kitchen watching a show on the computer, and when they came, we all read scriptures together.  Then Preston went home and Dad went exercising and I put Grandma to bed.

Dad got a couple of calls from Cassandra yesterday, and it sounds like they are doing well.  I plan to call her soon, myself.  I hope they are having a happy Saturday!  We didn’t hear from Jon yesterday, but we did get his birthday card into the mail.  It doesn’t have a check in it, but I hope he likes it anyway.  Dad spent lots of money to make sure it gets there today so that he’ll have it for his birthday on Sunday.  Maybe we will hear from him today.  I keep praying that he will get a job soon.

This morning, Dad took Miriam in to work and he is also dropping off the last package you will get for a long time.  I hope you like having a copy of Elder Bednar’s talk.  Katrina is awake, but Thomas and Grandma are asleep.  Katrina is asking about breakfast, so, until tomorrow…

Hi.  It is now Sunday morning, and Jonathan’s birthday.  I called Jonathan yesterday to ask him if he got his birthday cards from us and Grandma and Grandpa so that he can open them on his birthday today.  He said I didn’t know what I was talking about and that his birthday is on Monday.  Pretty funny.  Anyway, once I had him convinced, he looked into getting a key for his mailbox and found out that he can’t get one till Monday.  I wish I wouldn’t have convinced him that his birthday wasn’t Monday, ha ha.

I tried to get a hold of Cassandra yesterday, but missed her call when she returned mine.  She did leave us a cute message from Lily on the home phone.  She just made a couple of little noises and I loved it.  Sunday is usually a good time for us all to talk, so, hopefully...

Yesterday Katrina and Thomas didn’t work till the afternoon, so Dad and I took them to the Art Museum in the next town north.   They have a beautiful sculpture garden that we enjoyed strolling through.  It contained many beautiful Avard Fairbanks sculptures and was so peaceful.  Inside, we saw many wonderful paintings and sculptures including a “mother and child” bronze by Dad's friend, Dan like the one that we have hanging in the living room.  Dad and I agreed that our favorite painting there was a landscape with cows that was very beautiful.  Dad voted for it to win the people’s choice award.

I left Dad and the kids in Provo to work after that and went home to be with Grandma.  I spend lots of time sitting by Grandma watching TV.  I also picked raspberries.  I went outside to water them, and there were tons of ripe berries.  Usually we only get enough for the little cousins and neighbors to get a taste, but yesterday, there were lots.  I picked a nice big bowl full.  I’m not sure what we’ll do with them, but they are sitting in the fridge waiting for us to have them later today after we break our fast.

I’m so glad it’s fast Sunday and that we have the opportunity to fast and pray in order to draw closer to Heavenly Father and to receive blessings from him.  I need his blessings so much—we all do!  It’s nice to know that there is one more thing I can do to secure help and blessings for my family.

Today after church, I hope we will have lots of family time together.  Don and Renee are coming over tonight.  It will be nice to visit with them.  It will be good for Grandma, too.  She’s been sleeping in a bit lately, so I hope Dad can go to most of his meetings today before he needs to take care of her.  It is so nice being with him in Sunday School.

Wow, the wind is blowing really hard outside.  That’s weird for the morning.  I mean, we usually get canyon winds, but this is different.  I checked the weather report and it says today is supposed to be breezy—that’s an understatement.

Well, I guess the pouch deadline is midnight tonight, so I’d better get this letter off.  I am still studying the gospel, but I haven’t studied yet today.  I will do that next.  I sure am slow to progress at being like Christ.  In order to do all that I need to do to serve God, I really need to increase in the pure love of Christ, and in the Spirit.

We love you very much, Matt.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and we know Heavenly Father is with you, too.  As you pray and rely on His spirit, He will teach, comfort, and guide you in all of your needs.  Jesus Christ  loves the good people of Mexico, and will give you all the help that you need in order to preach to them His gospel.
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment