Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Email from Matt to the Fam

Haha, thanks for the specifics... I sent you pictures... you want more already? ;) I think I told you were I am, Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico. 

Ok I'll write a letter.... Fine. ok the pictures, Well the first is of the house we live in, then the second is, I baptized someone, his name is Victor, the third is my companion and his trainer eating cake. There you have it. that's about all we do here! haha, no. ok so let's seeeeee....

On thursday we were walking a lot, most of our appointments had fallen through, and the references that we were looking for weren't at home. We were tired, and a bit down in the dumps. Elder Livingston turned to me, and said: "Well, we have to teach someone, let's knock at this house and see if anyone is there." So we did. A man answered the door and seemed a little surprised to see us. We introduced ourselves and asked him if he had ever seen missionaries like ourselves before, he said no and invited us in. That doesn't usually happen, we usually have to at least ask to get into a house. He then introduced his wife to us as we walked up to his door. We got in and he sat us down. Elder L. saw a picture on the wall that was of Jesus Christ holding a lamb that only our church uses and asked him where he got it. The man said that one of his neighbors had given it to him. By this time both me and Elder Livingston are thinking that something is up, first off, the Dad invited us in, which never happens. Second, this guy had never been with missionaries before and was very happy to see us. Elder Livingston told the man that the picture was actually from our church, and pulled out a pamphlet with the same picture. The man got a HUGE grin on his face and both me and Elder Livingston are now thinking: What is going on?!?!?! has this man been praying for us? What is going on?! He then started to laugh and told us that he was the branch president of a town called Topolovampo. He totally punked us. Well it was ok because we got to talk a little while and drink some water and get a reference from him and his family.

What else... Mom, I don't think that I'm going to be able to print stuff out. too time consuming. So what else... oh, ok I'll talk about mexico more because you told me to talk about myself! haha! (I'm boring) ok anyway, here in Mexico... few people have a steady job. What usually happens is that they find work for like a month or a week and go with it. There are lots of tienditas (little stores) around here, which is basically a house that someone has taken out the walls or added a window on one side and then they sell stuff. Like right now, I'm sitting in a converted house with computers lining the walls. (The houses are very small with about 3 rooms usually) If we are thirsty we only have to walk like a block and we'll run into a tiendita. A (non-member) Mexican party needs 3 things to be succesful: 1 People, 2 A Kerioke Machine, and most importantly 3 A ton of beer. And that's it haha! or if they are having a quince aƱos, they will block off a part of the street with cars and dance in the street. The people here are very "In the moment" they have money, well then they have food. They have more money, then they have more food and maybe some more cloths and some beer. They only save up for about 3 things: A house, College for their kids, and a car/motorcycle/bike and then they're set.

The people are also very nice, we have to be careful, if we contact a person in the street, we could end up sitting down, drinking water, eating mangos, and hearing about everything that is going down, from their grandma's hang nails to how they haven't been drinking for months. The people are also very direct. When I first got here, everyone called me gordito, which means chubby basically. Now everybody tells me that I'm loosing weight haha. Hmmm... they don't have "Lawns" in front of their houses, just dirt usually, and every night they go out and water the dirt. I don't really know why, Elder Livingston says that it acts as a natural air conditioning, but they water the dirt in the morning too.... so who knows. Mom, Los Mochis is very flat and it has an altitude of.... 4 meters. or about 12 feet. We sometimes go to Topolovampo, and that is not flat at all. I don't think that Mochis is by the gulf, it's by baja california. Topo is right by the sea, like we walk down the street and look to the left and there are some stairs strait to the ocean.

Dad, when we get back, we'll walk to Salt Lake together! bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment