Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Aug 6 to Aug 13--Dear Elder: Getting Home, Shopping, Family Get-Together

Dear Elder:

Hi, I at the airport on my way home, and thought I’d write a bit to you.  It is sad to be leaving Cassandra, Emerson, and Lily, but it is good to be going home.  I can’t get internet access here without paying, but I hope to get it on my lay over.  What that means is that I haven’t gotten the email that I hope you sent today yet.  Maybe I’ll call Dad and have him read it to me.  Good idea.  Hang on.  Well, he’s not homeL

Hi, Matt.  Now it’s Tuesday.  I did get a hold of Dad on my layover and he read me your email.  It was so nice to hear from you.  We plan on buying the clothes you need today.  Also, thanks for the pictures.   I looked up “Our Lady of Guadalupe and found out that she "is a celebrated Roman Catholic icon of the Virgin Mary."  So, she is Mary and the baby she is holding is Jesus.  That's what I thought.

It was really nice to get home.  Everyone seemed to like the presents I got them.  Thomas got a sucker with a grill attached to it, so when he puts the sucker in his mouth, his teeth are gold and shiny.  I got Katrina a marionette made from Mexico.  We are in the process of giving it a complete makeover.  Miriam loved the rose tissues I bought her last time, so I got her more of those and also some perfume.  I got Dad sugar free white chocolate and sugar free almond toffee.

Today Dad and I are out of town.  We stayed overnight for Dad’s birthday.  The kids, the nurse, the aide, and Becky, have all been helping to take care of Grandma.  We’ve been having lots of fun swimming and shopping and dining.  It is always so fun to be with Dad.  When we get home we are planning to work on our bedroom (you know how half of it is torn up), and clean the house.   The kids, the nurse, the aide, and Becky, have all been helping to take care of Grandma.

Well, Jonathan may have already told you this, but he got the job!  There were more than thirty other applicants, and they hired him just a couple of hours after the interview.  Another cool thing about it is that it is a managerial position.  He’ll be working in a booth or whatever that sells school t-shirts, etc.  A weird thing about it all is that he still doesn’t know how much they are paying him or what kind of hours he’ll get.  He starts Monday, and I am so happy for him!

Matt, it is now Saturday. The week has flown by.  We are sending your package today.  The baptism pants have no belt loops and they have buttons to adjust the waistband size instead.  I hope they work J.  I hemmed them to exactly a 32” inseam (length), so I hope they are right.  I got the only waterproof tie they sold.  I hope all that works for you!  Also, there is no way to buy a cover for your planner without its measurements, but I did send a clear plastic cover and some clear packing tape.  I hope that with a bit of creativity you can fashion a nice cover for your planner.  Also, you may see about just getting another one from the mission home.  I looked into ordering one for you, but it is only available to mission presidents, etc.  Good luck with it all!

This week we have done school shopping, remodeling, swimming at the water park, and taking care of Grandma.  Today Thomas has a football skirmish.  It’s not really a game, and he says it’s not one that parents go watch, so he’s going to do that and also work today.  Dad is going to drive Miriam in to work and also send off your package and work at the laundry.  Later he and the girls and I are going up north to go shopping.  Somewhere along the way, we need to mow.

Grandpa and Grandma Haws are driving up here for a visit and so we are having a big get-together tomorrow at our house so that everyone around here can visit with them and also so that we can see Sarah and James before they move.   I can’t remember if I told you that they are moving to be closer to James’s work.  Anyway, I really look forward to seeing my family tomorrow, and I’m hoping that Jonathan can come, too.  That would be so great!

Hi.  It’s Sunday morning.  Yesterday we did tons of yard work.  On Friday, I had tons of vegetables to get rid of so I put 2 ½ bell peppers, 4 tomatoes, ½ an onion, and a summer squash in the crockpot on high for a few hours.  When they were soft, I slipped their skins off and them smashed it all up and added chicken bullion.  Yesterday, Dad took the sauce I’d made, added chicken, and served it to the family over noodles.  It was delicious, and it was nice to eat together.  Life is so hectic that it’s hard to make that happen, but really important.  As a mom, it’s nice to be home where I can have my mind on those kinds of things and make sure they happen.  This time, though, it was Dad who made it happen and it was very nice.

Last night we drove the girls an hour north to shop.  I bought some $100 dollar jeans for $15, and I’m pretty stoked about it because that brand fits me so well.  Dad and I walked around enjoying the evening while the girls shopped.  Our job was to come in at the end, give the okay to the clothes they chose, and put out the money to buy them.  Dad and I also went to a book store and Dad bought a whole cool collection of books for his classroom.  They contain thirty seconds worth of information on different stuff, like one book is thirty seconds about the world’s most influential religions (they were pretty accurate about Mormonism), other books were thirty seconds about:  the most compelling scientific theories, philosophies, etc.  Dad plans on reading them.  He already knows a little bit about everything, so now he’ll know a little bit more!

It’s now late Sunday night, and I will be sending this soon.  We had a very nice get-together with all of my family.  I’m so glad they could all come.  I enjoyed seeing my parents, and it was good seeing Sarah’s family one last time before they move.   In fact, it was wonderful to see everyone! 

I love you, Matt.  Remember to follow the Holy Ghost.  He will guide you to the pure in heart who will listen to your message and turn to the Savior.  Say “Hi” to your companion for us, and stay safe.  BTW, concerning not telling me everything you are going through so that I will not freak out—I think that you should tell us.  For one thing, Dad has a gift for knowing good remedies to medical problems and can probably give you some great suggestions for any troubles you may have.  For another thing, we can pray for you better when we know the specifics of what to pray for.  Third, I won’t freak out J  Well, bye, Matt.  I can’t wait to hear from you soon!

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment