Friday, August 24, 2012

Aug 24--Dear Elder: Back to School, Moving Jon, Father's Blessings, etc

 Dear Elder,

Wow, this week is flying by!  It is already Thursday and I am just now beginning to write to you.  I have the time today because I woke up at 4:00 and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I’ve been praying for time to write.  God sure works in mysterious ways, ha ha.  It has been such a busy week because the kids are back in school.  I have no idea what happened Monday; it is a blur.  In the evening we took the kids to to do laundry for the first day of school.  We planned on having Family Home Evening in the office while the clothes washed, and Dad planned on giving father’s blessings to the kids, but some of Vic's family was there doing laundry, so we didn’t do what we’d planned since we didn't have the place to ourselves.

Tuesday was the first day of school and Grandma and I were alone without kids all day.  I took care of Grandma, exercised, went to a meeting, and best of all, got to SKYPE with Lily.  She is so cute!  She showed me her pretty painted toe nails and did her friendly dance for me.  She waved and beckoned for me to “come here.”  She wanted me to be there in person, and the beckoning breaks my heart!  Still, I am so grateful for Skype and for the chance to talk and laugh and play with her and visit with Cassandra.    

Tuesday was Miriam’s first day as a senior, Katrina’s first day in high school, and Thomas’s first day of taking seminary.  Thomas said he likes seminary, and I am so excited that he can take it this year.  Katrina seems to like being at the high school.  She is taking advanced Drama, of course, but wasn’t able to fit choir into her schedule.  We signed her up for the children’s choir, though.  Miriam loves her business communications class and plans to join FBLA (future Business Leaders of America). 

 Also a really sad thing happened on Tuesday, Jon lost his job.  He really doesn’t know why.  You know how conscientious Jon is.  He put everything he had into doing a great job.  But they told him he wasn’t what they needed as a manager.  They said if he had been a regular employee, everything would be fine, but since he was hired as a manager and they don’t want him as one, they let him go.  It was a real disappointment, and I have to admit that when I knelt and cried and prayed to Heavenly Father, I complained.  Talking to Cassandra helped comfort me a bit, and the more I think about it, the more I see Heavenly Father’s hand in it.  I know He is guiding Jon’s life and that he is answering his and our prayers.   Jon is moving back here, and I am so glad.  He was too far away from the love and support of his family.  We are going up Friday to help him move, and it will be so nice to see him again!  
          
On Tuesday evening, Kellie invited us next door to meet Chris’s parents and eat ice cream.  We had fun visiting with them and other neighbors they invited.  It was a wonderful way to end the day.  Because of the get-together, Dad was unable to give Father’s blessings, once again, and I was beginning to get nervous.  But yesterday evening, we were able to do it. First,  the kids went to YM/YW for a barbeque and to learn about train safety.  The girls had food assignments, and since Miriam had to work and Thomas had football, Katrina made the food and took it over.  Miriam got there a half hour later when she got home from work, and Thomas didn’t make it till about 7:30 after getting home from football and showering.  Dad and I ate Café Rio and watched “A Tale of Two Cities” while they were gone.  When everyone got home, we gathered in the family room, and Dad gave each child a blessing for the coming school year.  As he blessed each one of the kids, I was filled with love and gratitude.  I know the blessings will help them have the guidance and protection they will most definitely need as they are away at school and other places.

This morning, the kitchen is a huge mess because yesterday I took everything out of the pantry and it is now sitting all over the table and counters.  Today I get to organize it and get it all put back together.  It is quite involved because I am also re-vamping our three month’s supply of food.  I had Dad cut the shelves so that they are narrower and I will be able to see stuff better, but I’m a bit nervous about being able to fit it all in, so wish me luck!    

Well, now it’s Friday and the kitchen is mostly put back together.  Our diet has changed quite a bit and we don’t use the same kinds of food anymore, so  I have big baskets of food to give to Jon, Elizabeth and the food bank.  Also, sadly, I have a big basket of expired food I have to throw away.  Today Dad and I are driving up to Logan to get Jon and bring him back home.  We will be pretty squished in this house for awhile, but it will be nice to have Jon home again.  Katrina tried out for the Shakespeare team yesterday, I  hope she makes it, and today she is staying late after school for drama.  Miriam is working a ton and Thomas has a football game tomorrow night, I think. 

 Last night, I went to the Relief Society’s zucchini festival where we judged zucchini artwork, zucchini food, and zucchini stamping.  I brought zucchini pickles, and people liked them.  They also gave us a chance to write to missionaries, so I wrote to Tanner, Jared, and Justin who just entered the MTC.  It was a fun night.  Now I am going to feed Grandma yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment