Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 22--Dear Elder: Answering Matt's Last Email

Hi, Matt.  Thank you so much for your last letter.  I loved it!  I am so sorry that Thomas and Miriam didn't write.  I was gone to meetings most of Sunday, and wasn't there to remind them.  I know it's sad that they have to be reminded, but if you remember how you were at that age, it will help you understand.  Thomas feels pretty bad about it.  After I read your letter to the fam, he went and wrote you a letter.  One, because I told him he should, but, two, because he wanted to.   Miriam is just plain overwhelmed with life.  I know they will do better.

How did Dad break his tooth?  Well...he made some hard tack, and I guess it was REALLY hard, ha ha.   He wanted something to have in his car to eat in case of emergency, and you know how he is about history, so that's why he made hard tack.  He threw the rest away, ha ha.  His tooth is fine now, btw.

Thanks for telling me about the times you felt joy.  I think that it is easier to feel that out in nature.  Of the four specific times that I remember feeling that rush of joy, three of them have been when I was out in nature.  I am going to girl's camp in a couple of weeks, and I look forward to being in nature.  The camp has a special spirit to it, and I feel very close to Heavenly Father there, and very aware of His love.

I'm glad you enjoyed Great Grandma's email.  The words, "Read it!" were part of her email--she wants us to look up the translation in Great Great Grandma's history.  Unfortunately, when we redid the kitchen, I put a bunch of stuff in the big upstairs bedroom, and now that's Jon's room.  Between his stuff and our stuff, its hard to find anything in there.  I do need to find and read it though.

Wow, thanks for sharing what President Holland said to you.  It was amazing!  Sunday after breakfast, Dad and I sat down with Katrina and Thomas and showed them a video that had Elder Holland speaking about missionary work called "Worthy to Be a Voice for God."  It was beautiful, and I hope it touched their hearts.

I especially liked what he said about the road to salvation always requiring sacrifice.  It reminds me of Doctrine and Covenants 122:8 "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?"  I was studying about sacrifice a week or so ago.  Just now I am thinking that the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is the only true sacrifice, isn't it?  Anything we do, no matter how hard, may seem like a sacrifice, but it is always repaid a hundred fold.

A tornado hit Oklahoma City on Monday.  Don't worry, Uncle Allen and Aunt Becky are okay, but it has got to be a very hard time for them.  The tornado hit an elementary school full of children and ten were killed.  It is so sad.  Last night, there was a tornado watch in Cassandra's area.  She said at one point, the storm was really bad, and they got ready to hunker down in the bathroom, which is their only room without windows.  I haven't heard from her today, but I did talk to her after the worst was over, and they were fine.   Okay, I just got a text from her.  All's well.

Miriam got to talk to Preston on the phone yesterday and then again this morning.  Yesterday, he called the house and I gave him Miriam's new number.  He only had like a minute to talk to her.  Today he got to call again, and she had more presence of mind and was able to ask him how he's doing (fine) and what he needs her to bring him when she comes (electric razor).  She is going to his graduation early June.

I only have today to work and then I am done.  Hooray!  After that it's crunch time because of girl's camp and the cruise.  I really have tons to do.  The weather is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment