Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 21--Letter From Matt


OK mom, Thank you for your letter, I really liked it! Thanks for the pictures too! Katrina and Dad wrote me but Thomas, Miriam and Jon have, unfortunately, forgotten to write me... It's ok :)

In response to your letter:
I am grateful to be the dubious receiver of the only ''family mad-libb'' this year! Haha, I really did like it, although I wonder what you guys are gonna write for my madd-libb next year... Maybe: ''Well, we haven't seen that Matt-kid for a year, who knows if he's still alive anymore, and a better question: 'who cares??' Ha!'' Yeah, I'm thinking something like that :) no, that's just a joke.

I liked your comment about my apology in my last letter, I felt a loving mental slap from you hahah! no, no, but I did laugh when I read that.

Dad broke his tooth? How?

As to feeling joy, well one time it did happen to me, it was when we were just about to teach, and we were sitting down and I just looked up into the sky and I saw how beautiful everything was, and I felt over-whelmed with a gratitude for this world, I was amazed by the feeling of control, I could´ve stopped feeling that feeling at any time, it was almost a choice. It has happened a few times here in the mission and like you said, not only when we are doing something really cool, rather in the quiet moments when there is just time to think a little bit.

I do remember that ''Good Bye, Mr. Chips'' Makes you cry :) I don't think that you are alone in that, the world is filled with ol' softies like you.

The memories from great grandma were interesting and cool to read, I didn't quite understand if you were referring me to the book, or telling me to read it because you had written it in the letter. I'm assuming that it was the latter. Thanks.

 I'm gonna write a little about what Elder Holland told us this Saturday, he had a few messages for us

(He says Elder Holland spoke of President Monson's sorrow at the death of his wife.  President Holland encouraged the missionaries to work harder and dedicate their work to President Monson.)

There was so much love in his voice as he explained those things, you could really feel the great respect that he has for the Prophet. After that he talked about a few things, but the most important thin is that he told us that we need to have at least one convert from the mission, and that it needed to be us. The amount of other converts is between us, the people we are teaching and the Lord."

(Matt said the following things that Elder Holland taught made a real impact on him:
Elder Holland wants their mission to be everything for them, like his was everything for him.
To do better with the flock you need to do better with the shepherds.
Promise the Lord to at least convert yourself.)

Then he answered a few questions and said a few other things. He said that he had been thinking a lot about it and as his personal belief that missionary work isn't easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. He said the road to salvation always goes through Gethsemane, the road to salvation always has a cross in Calvary. He said that we weren't going to suffer anything like the Lord did during the atonement, but that if we hoped to be his disciples, that we should expect to pay a price, a token of that great sacrifice. When we struggle, when the road is hard, when we are cast out and spit upon, and mocked in His name, we should be proud that the Lord and Savior knows everything about our suffering and sacrifices.

It was truly amazing, that man is an Apostle of the Lord.
I love you all and can't wait to hear from all of you next week!"
-Elder Cole.

No comments:

Post a Comment