Thursday, May 16, 2013

May 13--Dear Elder: Last Letter Installment

Matt, It was so fun to Skype with you!  Sorry about the mix-up with the time.  I am so glad we didn't miss you.  It was wonderful to see you, you are looking so good!  Thanks for sharing some insights and experiences with us.  It means a lot to me.  I am so excited about Arturo!  I know he is a bit nervous about the future, but if he will continue to read the Book of Mormon and obey the commandments, everything will be just fine.  How did you guys find him?  It's exciting to think that if he remains faithful, he may bring his whole family to the gospel.

I am glad that Jon got to Skype with you for so long.  What happened with Skyping Cassandra and Emerson?  Jon told me, but I can't remember.  It makes me sad to think that you didn't get a chance to see Lily.  We got to Skype with them yesterday, and it made me so happy.  We sang songs to Lily, and I love how she claps her hands and yells, "Yay!" At the end of them.  She "talks" so much, and I think she said Katrina's name and also Grandpa or Grandma, I'm not sure which.  Cassandra and Emerson looked wonderful.  I wished so much that we could be with them right now.  Skyping you and them was the best part about the day, which is saying a lot because Dad and the kids bent over backwards to make it a special day for me.

We also got to talk to Grandma on the phone.  I have no idea why we didn't Skype with her instead.  Well, they had family over, so that's one reason.  She did get to Skype with Emerson, Cassandra and Lily for just a sec before Lily went to bed.  We gave Grandma 60 monkey hooks for Mother's Day which sounds weird, but she has a lot of pictures to hang, and I know what a pain that is.  Monkey hooks are so easy, and do such a great job so I hope it will help her get pictures of all the grandkids, etc. up.  

Today is Thomas's birthday, and we are celebrating around 7:30.  Jon will be at work, which makes me sad, so we gave Thomas the little gift we bought for him as a fam.  He wanted cash for his birthday, so this was just a little token, but it's something I've been wanting to give him.  It's called "The Art of Manliness," and I told him it is to replace "The Encyclopedia of Immaturity" in his life.  You know how much he enjoyed that book.  This new book is an awesome guide to manliness that Jon recommended and it tells you everything from how to shave like your Grandpa to how to find your way in the woods to the meaning of giving different types of flowers.  Next year he'll be sixteen, and he has a year to study up before he begins dating.

Back to Mother's Day.  Dad really outdid himself.  First, he worked in the yard all day and plans to work again today, next he tried to go get me some shoes that I liked after Katrina's concert, but I talked him out of it.  Next, he made breakfast, and then he made dinner!  It was filet minon, sauted asparagus, and salad, and it was delicious!  We ate it outside, and I loved it.  At breakfast time, the kids gave me two gifts--earrings, and a giant pot of flowers!  I love them both.  The earrings are silver and you may have noticed them when we were Skyping, but I doubt it.  They are elegant and tasteful and will go with anything and that is good since they are my only pair, ha ha.  I adore the flowers--I can never get enough flowers in the yard.  Also, Dad made sure the day was just the way I would like it, topped off with a family home evening lesson.  What an awesome day.

This morning as I watched a video put out by several denominations including the LDS church, I felt that old familiar pang of regret for not being a better mom, and longing to hold you all in my arms again as little children, and never let you grow up which is just plain silly because you have all grown in to such delightful people.  I love you very much, Matt.  You bring me tons of joy.  Thanks for being my boy.

Work is going good.  Since we have less than 2 weeks left and state testing is over, things are pretty easy going.  In resource I helped the kids make folding flowers for Mother's Day on Friday.  I think they liked it.  Everyone likes to have stuff to give to their mom.  This week, I think we will play some math games, and I am going to read "Sarah Plain and Tall" to them.  It's short, so we can get it all finished, and it is a very sweet book.  Or maybe we'll read Stone Fox.  Hmmm....

I didn't take pictures yesterday.  Why didn't I take pictures?  All I had to do was take out my phone and "click."  I am so out of the habit of picture taking because it used to be such a pain with film and everything and it was expensive and we were broke.  I'm sorry, Matt.  I keep trying to remember pictures, but I forget.  I put it in my phone just now to take pictures tonight when we celebrate Thomas's birthday.  That had better do the trick!

Well, Matt, it's 4:30 am now and I am hoping to go back to sleep.  I love you very much.  Your former mission president is right, you are very serious, but you are seeking out the Lord's sheep and saving souls.  That is definitely serious business, but I hope you will stop to smell the roses and to find joy in the journey.  I hope that you pray for your companion, Elder Campos, every day because I know that will help you two be united in the work of the Lord.  Please tell the family who opened their home yesterday in order to give you the opportunity to Skype that we are very grateful.  I hope that our bunch of crazy teenagers didn't disturb them too much.  Have a great preparation day and a wonderful week!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment