Sunday, November 17, 2013

Nov 10--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,
I’m so glad that I get to write a letter to you today, and that tomorrow I get to read your letter!  I hope that you had a wonderful week last week.

We ordered you a Christmas package last night.  It’s not much, but we enjoyed picking out what would go in it, even though the choices were limited, and we hope you like it.  PLEASE when you get it, don’t open it till Christmas.  There is nothing perishable in it, which means there’s nothing all that exciting in it, but I really want you to have something that you can open on Christmas day to know your family loves you, so please save it till then, okay?

We went off daylight savings time last week, and I miss it.  I wish we could keep it all year round.  Now it gets dark an hour earlier, around 6:00.  Poor Dad gets home after work and gets no free time in the daylight.  I know why we go off it, though, because if we didn’t, it would be dark at 7:00 in the morning when kids are trying to get to school, and that would be bad.

At first the dark is kind of nice, though.  A couple of night ago after dinner, we all sat in the living room and played what I call “Head Shoulders Knees and Toes” and “Captions.”  Head shoulders knees and toes is the game where each person folds a blank piece of paper in thirds, draws a head on the first third, gives it a first name, folds it so the head is covered and only the middle third of the paper is showing and then passes it to the next person who draws the torso and gives it a middle name, and then folds and passes it to a third person who draws the legs and feet and gives it a last name.  Our favorite  one ended up being called “The Wicked The Stick” and had a witche’s face and a stick for legs.  I can’t remember what the torso was.  We mostly liked it’s name.  Captions is where each person writes a phrase or sentence and then passes it, the next person illustrates the phrase, the next person sees only the picture and writes their own caption, the next person sees only the new caption and illustrates that, etc until you decide to quit and look at all the pictures and captions.  Remember those games?  Playing them was a really fun thing to do as a family.

Yes, I have read “Jesus The Christ.”  It is a wonderful book, and maybe I need to read it again.  It’s been a long time.  Lets see here…yep.  I can get it free on my phone.  I now have a copy I can read any time I want.  Thanks for asking me, Matt.  I hope reading it will help me be more like Him.  I really am not very good at it, or at inviting others to come unto Christ.   I need to change my priorities, and my heart.  I really want to change.  BTW, make sure you read the endnotes after each chapter in Jesus The Christ.    They are so interesting, I really enjoyed reading them, too.

I am so glad that everyone survived the tropical storm.  La Cruz seems like an interesting place.  Is it called La Cruz De Huanacaxtle?   I got on maps and “walked” along the marina.  I saw some type of town square with a yellow and white arch.  I also “walked” along the beach and saw a horse, ha ha.  I wanted to look a bit farther into town, but I’m not very good at navigating the map, and I don’t want to take up all of my letter writing time doing that, ha ha.  It was funny what you said about Cuenta being a leaf.  It sounds like a wonderful place, and I am so glad that the children like and help the missionaries!  Sorry, Google maps doesn’t know where Cuenta, Mexico is, ha ha.  You are very close to Puerto Villarta, aren’t you?  I’m so glad you are planning to write more about the people here.  I am looking forward to reading it!

Thanks for what you said, Matt, about Heavenly Father’s love always being there.  I let Him down so much, and I feel so bad sometimes I’m so disappointed in myself that I give up just a bit for awhile, but your words remind me that Heavenly Father loves me and will help me.  His love is always there for me, so I want to learn to be always there for Him.

I have been losing lots of sleep lately, Matt, and it makes it very hard for me to function well, but I am hanging in there.  It is 9:30 on Sunday morning, and I hope to wake everyone soon to have breakfast together.  Won’t that be nice?  After church I have meetings, so it will be good to spend time together before church.  I hope it works out.

Yesterday was nice.  Thomas was at a camp out till about 2:00.  They camped out at the turkey shoot.  Thomas got a respectful score in shooting and got a candy bar which he gave to Garred who Thomas says shot better.  Katrina practiced the play till around 2:00.  I tried to catch up on sleep from 10 til 12, and while I was asleep, Miriam cleaned the upstairs!  I came up fully expecting to spend at least a half hour cleaning and doing dishes, but it was entirely done.  What a nice surprise!  Dad got home from the laundry around 12:30, and he and I invited Miriam to drive an hour up north  with us for lunch, but when she found out we wouldn’t  be doing any shopping there, she politely declined.  Dad and I had a nice hour-long drive, and a nice lunch.  After we ate, we walked up main street, past the stores, and enjoyed looking at the houses.  We kept walking up until there were no more houses, just pine trees.  It would have been fun to walk farther, but the road turned to gravel at that point, and it was muddy, so we just looked at the stream at the side of the road where it ran into a culvert, and then walked back down.  It was a perfect walk on a beautiful day, and we really enjoyed ourselves.



When we got home, we went to Costco and bought a mattress as well as other things and we also got to see Jon, which was nice.  He was pretty busy, though, so we didn’t talk to him much.  Back at home, we cooked the fun food we bought at Costco and ate it and watched “The Carol Burnett Show” on dvd as a family.  The kids liked her version of “Gone With The Wind” much better than the real thing, ha ha.

That is all that’s been going on, really.  I feel very blessed by Heavenly Father in so many ways, Matt, and I feel very undeserving.  I know He is leading and guiding us despite our weaknesses.  Have a wonderful week, Matt, and tell me lots of stuff about La Cruz and your week, etc.  I love you!  Thanks for the example of consecration that you are to us!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment