Monday, November 4, 2013

Dear Elder--Oct 13

Dear Elder,
Hi!  How are you today?  I hope that you are well and happy and full of missionary spirit.  I am well and happy and full of missionary spirit, too!  Thank you so much for the letter you sent.  It was short, but we will take whatever you can give us!

I’m so sorry that the people you have been teaching have either not been around or not been available.  I have been reading a book called “The Power of Everyday Missionaries,” and I learned that we need to ask people a lot of questions to know what questions they have and listen with the Spirit to what they care about so that we can teach them the things that will benefit their individual lives so that they will keep their interest.  I know that Preach My Gospel also talks about that, right? 

This has been a good week. Monday night we went to the laundry again so that Dad could work on the furnace.  We made dinner and brought it with us to eat with him.  Jon came to the laundry, too, and it was very nice to visit with him.  We also got to see him last night because he was doing something with friends and they met at our house to begin their activity.

Grandpa and Grandma were in town this week, and they stayed over night at our house on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.  Tuesday evening, none of the kids were home because Katrina and Miriam both had a class and Thomas had a game, but I took them to look at the temple.  The spire is on it now, and since they went to see it with me, they have also put the angel Moroni on the spire.  Wednesday, Grandpa took Thomas to gymnastics and stayed to watch him.  That night, all of the kids were home, but Dad wasn’t because of the furnace.  The kids and I ate dinner with Grandpa and Grandma and then went to the dollar store and the grocery store to buy pumpkins.  After that, we watched a “Get Smart” episode.  Dad came home while we were watching it, and it was nice to have him back home.

Thursday, Grandma, Katrina, and I went shopping to buy Grandma some clothes.  It was fun to shop and eat lunch together.  Grandpa and Thomas went bowling, and Dad worked on the furnace.  After that, Grandpa and Grandma left to stay with Rick and Kelly for the weekend.

Friday, Dad took off to work on the furnace and the rest of us cleaned the house and stuff.  Later on, Thomas and I took in our laundry to keep Dad company while he worked.  While we were there, Dad found out he needed a  part that he couldn’t get around here, so he needed to go to the big city.  I told him I should go with him and that he should take a break from working and that we should make a date of it, so we did.  We left Thomas at the laundry and Miriam picked him up after work and drove him home.  On our date we visited an Arnold Frieberg art exhibit.  He is the artist that painted all the Book of Mormon pictures where the men have giant muscles.  He also painted the famous picture of George Washington at Valley Forge, where he is kneeling by his horse, praying.  It was an amazing exhibit, and I am glad we paid the money to go.  We also got dinner which we really enjoyed.

Saturday, Dad worked on the furnace all the day, and the rest of us drove up to Rick and Kelly’s for Jesse’s baptism.  I am so glad we got to go see him be baptized!


Jesse and his family

We also enjoyed eating lunch at their house afterwards and visiting with them and Grandpa and Grandma.  On the way home, the kids wanted to visit the candy outlet, so we did.  We had a crazy time getting there, because Google Maps failed us, but we finally arrived and had fun buying candy.  Miriam and I got some cute suckers for our co workers and I also bought some for my visiting teaching sisters.

After I took the kids home,  I went to the laundry to keep Dad company.  He was able to finish the furnace, and when he turned it on to test it, it worked!  We were so relieved and happy.  After that, we went home and ate ice cream and watched a movie.  It was a film Noir, and it was a very good one.  It even had a happy ending.  I’m glad it was good for Dad’s sake.

Today we went to church and then came home and ate together.  It is gloomy and wet outside, and I am tired.  It is only 5:45, but I am very tempted to call it a night and go to bed.  I think I will. 
I love you very much, Matt, and cant wait to hear from you tomorrow!  Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment