Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Email From Matt--Oct 14

   Mom,   Thanks for sharing what you're learning as a member missionary. It is true, if we let our faith and hope work within us, we can start to truly have charity for our friends.

This week we have been teaching the B. R. Family more. They are the part member family that I briefly mentioned this last week.

   They're a family of 7, 2 years ago, the father of the family died, because of that tragedy the family is now comprised of the mother and her 6 children, the oldest is 12 years old and the youngest is 5. The mother's name is Lluvia (pronounced yOU-vee-ah, it means rain in spanish) and right now she is living in her aunt's small house while she looks for work.

   I've really come to love all of the children in this family, they are all so lively and unwell behaved that they are charming.

   Janet is the oldest of the family and is followed by her sister, Juliet, they both haven't been baptized, so that's the reason why we have this lovely opportunity to teach this family and to help them come to love each other more. The other siblings are named Luis, Heidi, Jesus Antonio and Danna, who is 5. Danna doesn't live with her mom because she has an illness that makes it so that she needs consistent medical care, so she lives with her paternal grandparents.

Lluvia's sister, is also living in the same small house, she has two small children. They are also very lively.

 I've been thinking about the scripture Mathew 5:14-16

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

   I don't think that there are many parents on this earth that don't love their kids, and I don't think that there are many children that don't love their parents, I also don't believe that there are many siblings that honestly deep deep deep down don't love their brothers or sisters. I think that we all have that light in our hearts, but it's impossible to see that love, you can't see emotions, It's impossible, just like you can't see a candle that's under a bushel. What we can see is the evidence that there is love. You can only "let your [love] so shine before men" when you let them know that it's there. This applies to many things, we can't see, or feel, faith in Jesus Christ, we can only see actions and feel emotions, the evidence that there is faith.

   So "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Let your light so shine, let your love so shine, let your faith, hope and charity so shine.

   We are also teaching a few other people, but I really haven't gotten to know them that well, their names are Gina, Edith, and Alejandra, They are three moms that we barely met and we are going to try and teach them, their husbands and their families.

When my thoughts turn to the people that I'm teaching and the love that I have for them; it's hard sometimes to see when they don't listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit, but I know that the Lord loves them, and that no matter where I go, He loves them and will not forget about them. I can't take their decisions for them, and it's hard, but that Hope, combined with my Faith, allow me to have Charity and pure love for these wonderful people.

 Other than that, things are moving "forward and not backward... on, on[ward] to the victory" which is great. I love you all! and I hope that you are all doing great. until next week

-Matt

PS  I was wondering if you, Mom, could send me the recipe (I don't remember the right way to spell that) to make pumpkin pie, I'm going to try and make it this thanksgiving, they don't have it here. (oh, and if you could send me the names of the ingredients in both English and Spanish pleeeeas!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment