Monday, July 8, 2013

June 23--Letter From Matt

Ok, so your questions about the talk that you might give:

What do you want the ward, to know about missionary work?
The missionary purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. We often remember the first 4 steps of our purpose faith, repentance, baptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost, but many times we forget that there are many people that we know who are struggling with the 5th step, endure to the end. If you think (and I say think because there are 6 billion people in this world and only about 14 million of them are members of our church... obviously you can find a way to find someone to talk to about the church) that you can't find anyone to teach, that does not disqualify you from your missionary duties, because I am certain that you know at least one person that has fallen away from the church, to whom you can be a friend, pray for, and invite and help to be reconverted, and return to full activity in the church.

Do you have a message for those planning to serve missions?
There is no adequate substitute for daily scripture study and prayer to prepare you for the rest of your life and for your mission.

How can members help the missionaries?
I've thought of 4 simple steps that anyone can do to help the missionaries:
step 1: Ask the Lord for an opportunity to share the Gospel and put goals and make plans with the Lord to do it.
step 2: DO IT! Share the Gospel, and look for the blessings that you have received from the Lord in your life through doing it!
step 3: Notify your ward mission leader and the Lord about your intents to share the Gospel.
step 4: The most important part, repeat step 1 through 3 diligently.
and a side note: To become a better teacher and really come to know more about missionary work, I would suggest everyone in the ward to use Preach My Gospel as a study tool in their daily scripture study.

Your other questions:
One suitcase, well because the mission has decided that they can't store our extra suitcases in the mission offices, so, to make it easier for me, I'm just gonna send my other suitcase home, so that I don't have to lug it from the baja, to sinaloa (we can only have 1 suitcase and a carry on in the airplane) There you go, sorry, I forgot that it's super easy for things to get miss interpreted over e-mail.

Actually I'm not leaving Cabo, I'll be here for another month and a half, so, no worries there, but Elder Chamberlain did have to leave, I mean it does make sense, in our ward we have 4 missionaries, we were all elders, but they took out 2 of the elders, and put in sister missionaries, I stay in the same area, and they are sending me one of the elders from the other area of the ward; His name is Elder Guzman. They did it like that so that I could teach Elder Guzman the area and so that Elder Guzman could help out the sister missionaries if they had a question about where the investigators of his area live or things like that. They couldn't leave me and Elder Chamberlain here, and they couldn't move us both out. So there you go.

As for exercising your faith for me, You are doing it already. Both of you. Please, if you really want to help me, procure to have the spirit with you, so that if I do need help, you can give it to me. I know that you both know how to do that, but if I can suggest sincere scripture study, prayer and fast, and trying to share the gospel, I know that if you with both feel the spirit more. The Lord's only purpose, or almost only purpose is to preach the gospel. If you both share the gospel, to my siblings, strangers, members or less active members, you will be qualifying to enjoy the presence of the spirit more abundantly in your life.

So that was written in part to Mom and Dad, I'll try to answer more of Dad's letter here:
How will us using the Internet and being in the church building effect my mission? I don't know... I mean, it might not effect us at all, it depends on if my new mission president feels like we should follow that council or not. Haha, speaking of the new mission president (both in my answer and your letter) I think it will take him a while to get his bearings because it is a hard calling, but yeah, I guess I can ask him, but, if it's ok with you I'd rather do it in February, but I don't know if you can work with so little time, maybe it would be better just to wait for a little bit after I get back and then go, but who knows. Thank you so much for helping Thomas to write more! haha, it didn't really work out, but there you go, I got something at least.

Ok, this is going to be the end of your mutual letter, I'm gonna try and send a spiritual experience in a different letter if I can, see ya!

(Blog Note:  Matt was unable to send another letter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment