Monday, July 8, 2013

July 1--Dear Elder: Sarah and James Visit, Cassandra and Emerson Arrive, Jon Barbecues and has a Birthday

Dear Matthew,
Hi, how are you?  It is so nice to write to you today.  Thank you so much for your last letter.  Thanks for answering my questions for the talk that I might give.  I’ve decided that if I do talk, it will be not only about your mission, but about member missionary work, because that is what I think you would like me to talk about and I think it would please Heavenly Father.  If I get asked to talk, I will share the steps you wrote that we can follow.

I am really praying hard that the spirit of missionary work will fill our family’s hearts and that Heavenly Father will fill us with so much love and gratitude to Him, and so full of the Spirit that we will be like Ether in Ether 12:2 who “could not be restrained because of the Spirit of the Lord which was in him.”  I am praying to be filled with desire.  I am praying that God will help us turn our weaknesses to strengths and remove our stumbling blocks so that we can become instruments in His hands.  I am praying for help in overcoming pride, slothfulness, selfishness, enmity, worldliness, and fear in order to become an instrument in His hands.  I want so much to be who Christ needs me to be in order to further His work.  I did invite the neighbors to the Fourth of July breakfast, but I think it’s way too early on a Holiday for them.  I totally understand that!

As far as studying PMG, there is so much to study!  There is my daily Book of Mormon reading, the Bible, the conference talks from our Prophet had Apostles, not to mention church magazines, Relief Society lessons we are supposed to read before they are taught, and lds.org messages.  I feel a bit overwhelmed.  I was reading PMG, but lately I have been concentrating on the scriptures and conference talks.  I kind got through most of PMG, but I could start it again.  It is hard to know when to stop reading up on things and get to work.

Thanks for answering my other questions, too.  It is good to understand more about what is going on.  I heard that your mission is being split.  I guess you stay in the Mexican Culiacan mission instead of becoming a part of the Obregon Mission, right?  Keep us up to date on all the changes, okay?

Well, it has been a wonderful week.  It was so nice to come home and get into the swing of summer.  I love waking up early, praying, studying the gospel, and going out to water the plants.  I have been working outside and cleaned up both sheds, which makes me very happy.  After I got the yard under control, the plan for the second half of the week was to work inside to get the house under control, but Thursday I was home alone a lot, which was so nice that I ended up wasting lots of time instead of working on the house and got behind.  I am very unhappy with myself about that!

Yesterday morning, Sarah, James, and family stopped by on their way back home to Texas.  They were still up at his parents house this whole last week and I didn’t even know it!  I told them they were stinkers for not telling me, ha ha.  It was very fun to visit with them.  Dad and I told them about our trip, and they got to see my new kitchen.  It was a short visit, but I’m so glad they were able to stop by!

After they left, I worked on the house, and Thomas helped me get the computer upstairs.  It has been down in the family room sitting on the wood burning stove ever since we started the kitchen remodel.  We got it set up, and it really looks nice, but we haven’t gotten the internet up yet.  Mostly, I’m excited to have the hymns playing on Sundays again.  Later, Dad and I went on a date.  It consisted of going out to eat, going through the car wash, and shopping at Walmart, but we had fun because we were together.  I didn’t even get to talk to Katrina yesterday.  I texted her and asked her if she had time to call, but she never texted back.  I hope that is a good sign and not a bad one!  Miriam spent the evening doing laundry and texting Preston.  It was a good day.

Matt, I have found a video game that I like, but don’t worry, it is not very time consuming and it helps me connect with people I love.  It is called “Draw Something,” and I just draw a picture for the other person and then they draw one for me.  I have been playing with Jon, Thomas, and Katrina, and this week I got Grandma on board, too.  She is a good drawer and it is hard for her to do quick, easy drawings instead of awesome detailed ones, but I think she enjoys the game.  I am also playing with my Aunt Emily.  It is a fun way to stay connected.

Guess what???  We are picking up Cassandra, Emerson, and Lily today!  Yay!!! We are leaving before 10:00, and will be home again around noon.  Jon is going to barbecue for us.  I can’t wait!  I still have a bit to do on the house before we leave, so I’d better get busy!

Now it is Sunday morning, and I am waiting for Katrina to get home from tour.  It’s 5:00, and she just called to let me know that the buses are here.  She is getting a ride home and should be here any minute.  She had a blast on tour!  She hardly called home at all, and when she did call, she was very happy.  Before tour, she had planned on quitting the choir after tour and just taking high school choir, but last night she texted and asked if she can take it next year.  I said yes.  I’ve been praying that she’d have a wonderful tour experience, and I’m so glad that she did!

Yesterday was a wonderful day!  Dad and I went and picked up Emerson, Cassandra, and Lily at their hotel by the airport.  Lily was so cute when she saw us, and she loved the little Minnie Mouse that we gave her.  It was fun to sit by her on the way home.  Jon barbecued some incredible tasting steak for us for lunch and we had a wonderful time eating it and visiting.  Lily loves our back yard, especially our slide and our swing.  Later, Cassandra went out with her friend, Jen, and the boys went shooting, so Miriam and I got to watch Lily.  We took her out with us to water the plants, but that never happened.  Instead, we watered the Lily!  She grabbed the hose and proceeded to douse herself thoroughly.  Miriam accidently squirted her in the face, which she loved, and so she started squirting herself over and over.  It was very cute.  I also got to take her on and walk, which was more like a run, and she was very good to hold my hand as she ran down the sidewalk.

Today Courtney and her husband are coming over for dinner to visit with Cassandra and everyone.  That should be fun!

Now it is Monday.  Yesterday was such a wonderful day. We went to church and it was fun to be there with Cassandra and family.  We sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic for the opening song in Sacrament meeting, and after the song, Lily yelled, “Yaaay!”  It is a very stirring hymn, ha ha.  After Sacrament meeting, Cassandra and Emerson took Lily to nursery, and when Dad found out, he went to get her out because he wanted her to be with us, but when he saw how much fun she was having in nursery, he left her there.  Later, Cassandra caught Thomas and Lily out in the hall.  He decided he’d rather be with Lily that go to Sunday School.  Cassandra sent him back to class, ha ha.

After church, Courtney, Justin, and their two little girls came over for dinner, and we had a wonderful time.  Lily was exhausted and went to bed at six thirty.  The girls and I had fun taking care of Courtney’s little girls while the men played Axis and Allies, and Courtney and Cassandra went for a walk, etc.  After they got back, everyone went outside to roast marshmallows and make s’mores, but I went to sleep, ha ha.

Today is Jonathan’s birthday and we are all probably going to go out to eat before we take Cassandra and Emerson to the airport.  I hope Miriam will be able to get off work to join us.  Cass and Em are going to Seattle and will be back home on Wednesday.  We are taking care of Lily while they are gone.  That will be fun!  Right now, Thomas and Lily are watching Robin Hood while Dad and I write to you, Matt.  Miriam is at work, and no one else has emerged from their lairs for the day.

I hope you like this letter, Matt.  You have $183 in your account right now.  If you will tell me how much more you will need for shipping, I’ll deposit it.  I hope that you had a good week last week, and that the one to come will be even better.  I love you!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment