Monday, July 8, 2013

July 8--Dear Elder

Dear Elder
,Saturday's Barbecue


Hi!  Thank you for the letters and the pictures of you and your old and new companions.  You are, indeed, devilishly handsome, although I prefer to describe you as angelically handsome, ha ha.  You will be happy to know that I did, indeed, study in Preach My Gospel this week.  I am sorry I said I couldn’t do it—of course I can!

I will ask Dad about the $89 shipping fee.  Please let us know what kind of shape your suitcase is in—that will let us know if shipping it is worth the $$.  You say that you have bought stuff for the fam, but I don’t see any ATM charges in your account—you still have $180.  Maybe they have not gone through yet.  Let me know how much you have spent so I will know if I need to replenish the account.  Matt, please don’t worry about buying me anything else, I really don’t need it.  Please just focus on your mission

Thanks for telling us about your investigators.  I will try to pray for them.  I hope that Ines and her daughters accept a baptism date.  I hope Obed and Catalina read the Book of Mormon, and that the member you are teaching develops faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I am so glad that you are feeling more hope and that you are trying to apply the 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants as you teach your investigators.  What you said about Charity really hit home to me, Matt.  I have been praying for a miracle in our lives—a change so great that it will enable us to be more effective instruments in God’s hands to share the gospel with His children.  In your email you described the depth of God’s charity and then you said, “When we really let that type of love govern our thoughts and actions, we will see a radical change in our lives and in the lives of those around us.”  I know that charity is the foundation of the radical change of heart I seek for myself and the family.  I want to study the 121st section of the D&C after reading your words.

This has been a wonderful week, Matt.  Monday we did, indeed, go out to eat.  I sent you a picture of us all.  I hope you liked it.  Sorry I sent you some repeats of pictures I’d already sent.  I didn’t realize it till just now.  It was fun to be eating with everyone.  It looked like Miriam wouldn’t be able to come because of work, but she was able to after all, and we were so glad!  Jon didn’t want them to sing to him for his birthday—can’t imagine why not—but we did give him barbecue utensils for a gift.  He’d already gotten his main present previously, which was money, and he loved the gift, too.  We had lots of fun eating very good food.



After that, Dad drove Emerson and Cassandra to the airport, and we got to go home and take care of Lily which was lots of fun.  Thomas and Katrina filled up the wading pool, and Thomas and Lily went swimming.  She had tons of fun sliding down the slide and into the water.  She loved it when Thomas splashed her, too.  She was pretty cold, so after she swam, we gave her a warm bath, which she loved.  She’s a real water baby.

Pinkie Descending a Staircase
Miriam put her hoodie and socks on Lily to help her warm up in our freezing cold house.

After Lily went to bed for the night, I made Jon a tres leches cake for his birthday, and we sang to him and all went around and told him what we’d get him for his birthday if we had unlimited funds.  I can’t remember what anyone said but me.  I told him I’d get him a big house with an awesome yard with a pool and a barbecue.  Thomas’s friends were over playing a board game, so we gave them cake and ice cream, too.



We really enjoyed taking care of Lily while her mommy and daddy were gone.  We tried to take her to the life science museum since she loves animals so much, but it was closed for renovation.  We took her for a walk in the botany gardens and on campus instead.  I bought her a stuffed monkey at the bookstore, and we ate Subway for lunch.  We gave Lily pieces of our sandwiches, which made her very upset.  Later we found out that she usually gets her own little sandwich when they go to Subway, so getting pieces of ours was not cool.  Katrina helped her feel better by reminding her that she was “at lunch with friends,” which Cassandra told us is one of her favorite things, and she calmed down after that.  Katrina often had good insights on how to help Lily be happy.



Everything about having Lily here was fun, even taking care of her when she threw up in the middle of the night.  I got to give her a bath while Dad cleaned up the bed, and then he watched a movie with her all snuggled up in a blanket, and helped her when she threw up again.  We got lots of snuggles and chances to carry her around and talk to her and play with her.  Both Thomas and Katrina spent lots of time with her.  Miriam had to work and got home after Lily was in bed, which was sad!

Wednesday we took Lily to the hunting store to see the fish and the animals.  She had lots of fun.  On the way home, we stopped by my sister Elizabeth’s house so that they could see Lily.  The kids were so sweet to her, and Mercy, who is just 6 months older than Lily gave Lily her blanket and teddy bear to hold.  It was so sweet!  Lily mostly liked their toys, ha ha.  I am so glad we got to see them.  It was an answer to my prayers.  We swam some more, and made the most of our time together.  Her mommy and daddy got home after she went to bed for the night.

Colonial Thomas

Thursday was the Fourth of July, and we had a fun day.  Cassandra, Thomas, Katrina, and I were the only ones who woke up early enough to go to the ward breakfast.  After that, we all (except Jon) walked the parade.  Emerson had a bad sunburn from sailing in Seattle without sunscreen, but he went anyway.  It was lots of fun to show Lily the bands and floats and horses in the parade.  She especially loved the bands.  Lily loves music.  We got to see my brother Rick and his family at the parade, too.  They told me that they might be going to the parade, and I had prayed that we would somehow be able to see them on the Fourth, and I know my prayer was answered.  What were the chances that we would see them through crowds of people and miles of parade route?  Heavenly Father loves us so much!  He wants us to be connected to family.



Thursday night we had a barbecue.  Jon made the most delicious chicken!  He also grilled corn on the cob, which most everyone was too full to eat, but not me.  I ate four cobs!  How embarrassing.  I gained 2 pounds while they were here.  We played on the grass, and Dad, Cassandra, and Thomas had a push up contest and Thomas won.  It was really cool because fireworks are legal now, and people were setting them off all around us.  We loved it!  You pretty much had to stand in the middle of the lawn and turn around in circles to see them all.  Luckily we had a big rainstorm that night, so there was no worry of fires from all the celebrating.  I think legalizing fireworks was a crazy thing to do!  The Woerners were doing fireworks on our street, so we went over to say, “Hi,” and then Dad, Emerson, Jon, Katrina, and Thom played a board game while Cassandra, Miriam, and I talked and then went to bed.  It was a very nice day.



Saying goodbye to Cassandra, Emerson, and Lily on Friday morning was very hard to do.  They had to go to a family reunion for his side of the family up north.  Happily, we got a call from them about 15 minutes later asking if they could come back to the house and stay till 2:00 since they had just found out that their check-in wasn’t till 4;00.  It was like a reprieve from the governor!  We were so happy.  When they got back here, Lily was soaked, so I got to give her another bath.  Yay!  Then they put Lily to bed, and Dad and I and Cassandra and Emerson went to campus so that they could see their alma mater.  It was very fun and we ate lunch afterwards.  By the time we got home, Lily was awake and we got to give her more kisses and hugs before they left us for good.  Could we have had more fun while they were here?  I think not!

 The rest of Friday was kind of sad.  I cried for a half hour or so, and Dad snuggled me in a nest of blankets and read poems to me that remind me of the ones President Monson recites in his talks until I fell asleep.  After I woke up, Dad and I went out on a date, but first, we ate breakfast for dinner with the family.  It was comforting to have us all around the table eating together.  Then Dad and I went to Bridal Veil falls.  It was twilight time, and very beautiful.  I felt surrounded by Heavenly Father’s love.

Yesterday I took Katrina shopping for school clothes, and came home with a ton.  Miriam was the fashion consultant, and Katrina got very cute things.  After Thomas’s work, I cut his hair, much to his disgust--he wanted to look cool for EFY at the end of the month—and then I bought him 3 pairs of shorts at a second hand store here in town.  When Dad got home, he and I went for a walk at the Canyon View park trail while Miriam and Katrina took Thomas shopping to buy shorts for football camp which starts tomorrow.  We walked in twilight, once again, and it was beautiful, once again, until a storm hit, and we had to run back to the car.  That was actually fun as well, and we didn’t get hit by lightening or falling branches, so that’s a good thing.  The storms have been pretty crazy around here lately, but this one turned out to be not so bad.

Mir and Kat sporting shiny 80's clothes they found on the clearance rack.  No idea why these didn't sell, ha ha!

Well, Jonathan got an apartment and is moving out next Monday.  I’m glad for him, but I will miss him.  Having him here these past months has truly been a joy.  I am so glad he works close, and I told him to please come home often!  I have told Dad many times that I am missing the “missing gene”, but now with you in Mexico, and Cassandra’s little family leaving again, and Jon moving out, I think I have found the missing gene, because I miss you all very much.  It’s weird, though, because at the same time, I am happy and at peace because I know you are all where you are supposed to be and are in Heavenly Father’s loving hands.  Isn’t life wonderful!

I just got a call from Sister Spotten asking me to teach her class of 11 year olds in church today, so I’d better go prepare.

Now it is Monday.  Teaching the 11 year olds went well, and Dad helped me.  It brought back memories of when he and I taught your class when you were 11.  We taught you church history back then, and I taught out of the same manual yesterday.  The lesson was about the sacrifices the saints made to build the Kirtland temple.  I brought objects to introduce each part of the story and had the kids take turns opening an object and showing it to the class.  Dad read all the quotes and stories which gave them a nice change from hearing my voice, and he did a great job.  We also read from the scriptures.  I miss teaching.

After church we ate gyoza, went for a drive, and read a conference talk by Robert D. Hales about standing in holy places which was a good thing to read with Thomas just before football camp.  This morning I took Thomas to the school to get his equipment and go to camp.  I waited in the car with his bags while he got the equipment.  It took forever.  Fifty minutes later, he came back.  He said he’d had a hard time finding a helmet that fit.  The helmet he finally chose is snug, and he says it’s going to be uncomfortable all season.  He said they told him it will feel better once he gets sweaty.  I don’t know if he’ll play enough to ever get sweaty though, ha ha.  I hope and pray that camp and football will be a good experience for him.

Today I am probably going to work on getting stuffed cleaned out of Jon’s room.  That’s where we dumped stuff when we began remodeling which was before we knew Jon was going to be staying in it.  I also have groceries, laundry, and finances to do.  I haven’t done my monthly shopping yet, either.  On second thought, I don’t think I’ll be working on Jon’s room today, ha ha.  Too much else to do.  Dad wants to go swimming tonight for family home evening, so we’ll see if that happens.

I’m going to send this letter now.  Say “hi” to your companion for me if you remember, and have a great week.  While fasting, I prayed for your investigators.  I hope that your week is happy and productive and that you are filled with faith, hope and charity.  I love you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment