Saturday, June 1, 2013

May 27--Dear Elder


Hi, Matt.  Today is Monday and you know what that means...we get each other's emails.  Hooray!  I am so glad.

Substituting in nursery was so fun and so exhausting!  I forgot how tired I'd come home every Sunday when Dad and I were in nursery when Miriam was two.  A special needs twenty year old girl and I were the only ones there, but one of the primary counselors checked up on us often and she helped us when we needed it which is good because the kids were great playing with toys, but it go a little crazy during lesson and singing time.  We survived, though.

Yesterday after church, we celebrated Father's Day early because we will be on a cruise for the real Father's Day.  We had Dad's favorite meal that I cook, barbeque chicken.  We also ate strawberry pie.  Dad asks the kids for the same thing every year on Father's Day--a heart felt card, so the kids each wrote him a card with things they love about him and a coupon for something special they will do for him.  He hasn't decided how he wants to spend his Father's Day money yet, so we gave him a check to use when he figures it out.  Then we all went outside with him and he showed us how his metal detector works.  He found lots of metal stuff, and even found the throwing knife that Thomas and Jon lost in the yard when they were playing mumbly-peg, a game which, by the way, is found on the "art of manliness" website, and which Grandpa was fond of playing with his pocket knife as I was growing up.

Then we went for a drive.  We went west of town to see what we call the hobbit house, and what I've also heard called the bunny house.  Remember the one with the cool rounded, kind of thatched roof?  From there we drove toward the lake, and we found that Sister Francis Monson's funeral was being re-broadcasted on the radio, so we kept driving along the lake, around the mountain, listening to the service, and stopping periodically for Dad to pick up brass.  As I listened, I played close attention to the way they described Sister Monson, because I know she is an elect daughter of God, and I want to be more like her.  She was unassuming and didn't seek the limelight.  Now that's something I could really work on!  What a sweet lady.  President Monson must miss her so much.  Either President Eyring or President Uchtdorf said that grief is a part of love which is so true!

We made the loop around the mountain and drove home.  On the way, we saw the new temple being built--finally!  After we got home and had family prayer, Dad and I went for a nice walk.  It was a good day.

Matt, I've been thinking lately about the creation and how when God created the earth, He created all things spiritually and then created them physically.  I've been realizing that I'm supposed to do the same thing in my life.  I create my day spiritually when I say my morning prayer and then study the gospel.  I create my week spiritually when I go to church and partake of the sacrament, renewing my covenants.  I create my month spiritually when I fast and when I go to the temple.  When the spiritual creation is over, I live it physically.  I have been paying close attention to my ability to focus on Christ and renewing my covenants with Him as I partake of the bread and water during the Sacrament each week.  I see a connection between my ability to focus on Christ at this time and my ability to focus on Him during the week.  When I remember during my morning that I am spiritually creating my day, my prayer is improved, and so is my day.  Just thought you'd might like to know what has been going through my brain.

I hope your day is good, Matt.  It's Memorial Day, by the way, I doubt you knew that.  What do you plan to do?  Our plans for the day are a bit fuzzy.  Miriam has the day off, yay!  She needs to sign up for classes.  Thomas works today for the first time this year (not counting training, etc).  He had a slight fever last night.  I hope he's well enough to go in for work!  Katrina wanted to go to the library, but it's closed.  Dad is going out metal detecting in the morning.  I want us to all meet up in the evening and have a picnic in the park and a walk along the river bottoms trail.

 I have so much to do this week, you would not want to see my list!  Girls camp is a week from today and then the cruise, back to back.  I hope we can make it all happen.

How is the work?  Did Arturo get baptized?  Who are you teaching now?  What have you been studying?  What have you been thinking?  How is your companion?  Tell him "hi" for us.  What experiences have you been having?  Remember to obey the Spirit.  It will bring to your remembrance all things that you should do.  I love you, Matt, and miss you and I'm so proud of you.

Love,  Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment