Sunday, June 23, 2013

June 2--To Matt From Brian

Dear Matt,
First let me tell you about my week.  On Monday, Memorial Day, I realized that Thomas would be working and Mom and the girls all wanted to go shopping,  so I decided it would be the perfect time to go out into the boonies because nobody wanted to do that with me.  I took my metal detector out t0 an old mining town in the desert and searched around for about 5 hours.  I found a little mini railroad spike for a mine car track, a cool keyhole faceplate for a front door from the 1860's and a 1860's fork.  I also found some reloading brass and just enjoyed wandering around in the desert.  I probably should have finished up my projects at the laundry but I needed a break, and even though it is summer I am working almost every day this summer for school.

On Tuesday I started working for the summer at the Jail teaching GED to the inmates.  It was quite an interesting experience.  Everytime I taught a hispanic, I would always ask them if they were from Mexico and then tell them about you!  The Jail is a fairly intense experience and you have to be locked in the room with the inmates but my previous law enforcement experience really helped out.  I am used to being in such an environment but it is still emotionally draining.  My hours are 8:30 to 4:00.  I work next week and then not until the last 2 week of the summer.

In the evenings and this Saturday I worked on the projects at the laundry and almost got them finished.  I finished building the new handrails for the upstairs apartments, I have to tell you I am very proud of that.  I have never done something exactly like that before but I conceived in my mind what it needed to be and what would work and did it.

I also worked on repairing a rotted piece of roof edge.  It was truly a pain.  It took me all day yesterday but I am also proud of that.  It would have cost Vic a fortune to have anyone else do what I did. but it literally took all day.

I have been going to lunch at subway or cafe rio and bringing a book to read.  I am reading a book called "10 conversations you need to have with yourself" by Rabbi Schmuley  This conversation that I am reading right now is how we need to stop blaming others and to look at our true selves.  its good stuff.

Well, that is my week, almost as busy as yours!
I hope that you had a wonderful week and were able to share the gospel, and that things are going well with your companionship.

The work that you are doing is so important, realize that you make a difference in people's lives even if you don't see it at the time.  Some of the people that had the biggest impact in my life never knew it because I was hostile to them at the time or might have seemed uninterested at the time. The person who rejects you today may have had a life changing experience but didn't know it.  So be sure not to judge your actions on immediate results, just make sure that you follow the spirit and share the spirit with as many people that you can.

I'm sure that you do and are doing wonderful things, remember that you are doing more than you know and the work, even though it may not seem like  it is going better than you think.
I love you Matt.  Thanks for being my son
Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment