Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sally, The Sabbath, My Sustaining

Sally is doing a bit better today, and we are so happy about that!  It looks like she may be able to leave the hospital.  We don't know for sure, of course, but we have great hope.
Brian was with her a lot yesterday, including stopping by on our date, and then again today for 6 hours.  I expect we will go see her as a family again later tonight.  Now, Brian is coming home to crash.

Because he was with his mom, I taught Brian's Sunday school class.  The lesson was on Adam and Eve and the fall.  It went pretty well.  It is a big class and they are really talkative, especially the girls.  It is hard to keep their attention. The boys, actually have been quite reverent.  I think they like having Brian for a teacher.  He has lots of stories about the army, his mission, etc.  They did pretty well for me too, though.  Thomas is in there, and it's fun to teach him.

 In Relief Society we talked about George Albert Smith and how loving and giving he was.  One lady raised her hand and talked about a time when they were discussing how to help kids be reverent in primary, especially the really energetic ones.  One of the leaders said to imagine Christ holding that child and imagine His love for them.  As she was talking, I began imagining different sisters in the room being embraced by Christ.  I imagined the love He had for each person.  Then I imagined the same thing about others in my life who are not so easy to love.  Tears came to my eyes as I felt the deep love He must have for each person I imagined.  It was a wonderful experience.

Last week I was called to serve as the first councilor in the stake Young Women's presidency.  Today I was sustained by the wards (congregations) in the stake (a stake is a group of wards or congregations).  It is a big responsibility, and I will miss working with the eight to eleven year old girls.  It is interesting, though, because many of the girls I taught at that age are now young women, and I will have the opportunity of serving them again.  The most exciting part, of course is being able to serve my own daughters!  I'm especially happy to be going to girl's camp with them this year.  Miriam has already given me tons of ideas and pointers for camp.  I keep telling her that the camp committee decides all the activities for camp, not me, and not to count on much help from me.  Still, she has really great ideas, even Katrina said they were awesome, so I guess I'll be ready if anyone asks my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment