Monday, January 9, 2012

I Resolve

I love both Christmas and summer time.  Everyone is home, we relax the schedules and have a bit more fun.  I also love September and January for exactly the opposite reasons--they are the season to retrench, refocus, and recommit.  Accordingly, we made New Year's resolutions in Family Home Evening.  These are mine.

Physical:  Exercise!!!  The problem with this one is figuring out when to exercise.  If it’s a day when I’m home, its no problem, but when I am testing or subbing, exercise goes out the window.  I already wake up to at five thirty to get everything else done, so I’d have to wake up at 4:45 to exercise in the morning, too. I don’t get to bed early enough to wake up that early!  So when do I exercise on those days?  I think the best thing to do is to get together with Brian and make a goal as a couple to walk nightly after family scriptures and prayer.  I’ll ask him about it right now.
He says he’ll make the goal to walk five nights a week with me after family scriptures and prayer, so there you go.  Between me walking in the morning either with my walking buddy, Emily or on the treadmill on stay-at-home days and walking with Brian at bed time, I should be good.  Will I lose all the weight I’ve gained lately?  Not so sure.
Eating right will help me lose weight.  Here  are my goals:  Eat definite meals—no grazing (a big problem when I’m home alone during the day)  Have a snack at 10:30 and one when the kids get home.  Put a reasonable serving on my plate and don’t have seconds.  No eating after dinner unless it’s a family home evening treat with the family and then only 2 cookies worth.  No eating sweets alone.  I don't really do that anyway.

 Spiritual:  I have already begun my spiritual goal of studying the scriptures instead of just reading them.  I have been highlighting my scriptures and taking more notes.  This has been helping me to see the themes in the scriptures that apply to my life.  My other goal is less concrete.  It is to have the right priorities.   I’m working on that.

Mental:  Sleep more.  I know that doesn't seem to make any sense, but I can’t think or remember anything when I am low on sleep, so my goal is to go to bed right after my walk with Brian every night.

Emotional:  Be more loving and connected with people.  I’m trying harder to put people before things.   Brian and I already walk once or twice a week, and it really helps us feel connected.  Imagine what five  walks a week will do for us.

Those are my goals, wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck. I wrote a vision for 2012 too. It includes such things like: In 2012 I lived within my means and ended the year 6 months ahead on all my payments. I hugged my sons daily and listened to Sarabeth. I ran 10k in 1 hour every month. I did 20 pushups in 1 minute and 10 pullups in 1 minute every month.

    I really want to be stronger physically. I am up to 2 1/2 pullups so far from 0, so I'm on track, maybe. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I guess the hugging and listening are the spiritual aspects of my vision. :-D

    ReplyDelete