Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Ten Birthday Gifts

Happy Birthday to me!  My first birthday was birthday money in a bright cheery birthday card that I got in the mail yesterday from my parents.  It was a nice surprise.  I really must be getting old because I forgot that I would be getting anything from them and I really liked it.  
My second birthday present was from me to me when I allowed myself to sleep in till 6:30.  I did this by giving Katrina lunch money instead of making her a lunch and also letting the kids get breakfast on their own instead of making them anything. 
My third birthday present was to try and have a birthday of gratitude where I don’t ask Heavenly Father for anything in my prayers, but thank Him instead.  It was nice to say a prayer of gratitude this morning, because I have 44 years of blessings to thank Him for—an impossible task, but I’ve also tried to do that as I’ve gone along.  Throughout the morning, I have wanted to ask Him for help as usual, but instead have tried to turn my prayers to praise and gratitude instead.  Still, if I end up falling and can’t get up (I am getting old, you know), or find, now that I’m ancient, that I’ve forgotten who I am and what I’m supposed to be doing, I may end up asking Him for help today.   Otherwise, it will be all gratitude, all the time.  
My fourth birthday present was getting a birthday call from Elizabeth and her cute little two year old daughter.  They sang Happy Birthday to me and I loved it!  There is not much cuter than a toddler singing Happy “Birs-day.”
My fifith birthday present was a call from Cassandra when I was in the hospital gym helping Sally with her physical therapy.  Unfortunately my phone died just as I answered, but I knew what she was calling about, and it made me feel loved.  Later at home, I found a message on my machine, and I was right, she was wishing me happy birthday
My sixth birthday present was finding out that Brian had called to take me to lunch but he couldn’t get a hold of me because my phone was dead, and my seventh birthday present was Elizabeth calling to see if I wanted to do some fun birthday thing, but it was too late, I’d already left her home town for my hometown twenty minutes away.  In both these cases, it was definitely the thoughts that counted.
My eighth birthday present (tired yet?  I am.) was a trip to the grocery store to buy food so that the kids could have corn dogs and tater tots for dinner and I wouldn’t have to cook. I also bought yogurt to put in the ice cream maker with chopped almonds so that we can have frozen yogurt for my birthday celebration tonight or whenever we have it.
My ninth birthday present will be the nap that I will take as soon as I am done with this journal entry, and my tenth birthday present will be going out to eat with Brian tonight.
Wow, ten birthday presents!  What a great birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment