Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sept 23, 2012--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

Hi!  It’s so nice to write to you.  I wonder if you got transferred this week, and if you will get a chance to write to us tomorrow.  I also wonder what has happened with the families that you have contacted lately.  I really enjoyed last week’s letter.  I am so happy that all of the family you were teaching is baptized now.  Thanks for the pictures you have sent of the people you and your companion have baptized.  It is nice to see you, them, and Elder Livingston all looking so full of joy. 

Today we had the wonderful experience of participating in the dedication of a temple.  They designated the stake centers in the area as extensions of the temple and held the dedication ceremonies in place of church meetings.  We went to the 9:00 session this morning and I really felt the spirit and lots of happiness.  Elder Packer and Elder Perry spoke as well Sister Packer and the president and matron of the temple.  Their talks were wonderful!  My goal after listening to the talks today is to re-establish good habits in my life that have been neglected.

As Katrina told you, last week we had a conference for all of the area and heard Elder Oaks speak.  His talk and the other ones given were inspired, and I really felt the Spirit.  We also look forward to General Conference in two weeks.  We have been so blessed to have so many chances to hear apostles and prophets and to hear the word of the Lord!  I know I have really need and appreciate these opportunities.

Yesterday was a nice day.  Dad got home from working at the laundry pretty early, and we decided to go out and have some family time while Grandma was still asleep.  We had some universal day passes that the kids had earned working this summer, so we went mini golfing.  We each got 20 game tokens and had fun playing Skeeball, basketball, Deal or no Deal, etc.  The kids redeemed our tickets for candy and Thomas also got a sticky hand to play with, and some little mustaches that clip under your nose.  Next we played miniature golf.  Thomas passed out mustaches to everyone except Dad, since he already has one, and we had fun stroking our lucky staches before every put, and seeing people’s jealous stares since we were definitely the hippest golfers on the course.  Dad won the game and I came in second.  I think after that it was Thomas, then Miriam, and Katrina last.  We all had lots of fun.  After eating dippin dots, we went back home to take care of Grandma. 

Later Dad and Thomas went to Thomas’s game, and Miriam, Katrina, and I went to the park to see a concert.  The park was really crowded, and we couldn’t hear real well, so we listened for a couple of songs and then bought some food from a Mexican food vendor.  It was nice and authentic and incredibly delicious.  You are really lucky to eat such food all the time.  I got a taco and folded my plate taco style to make a taco holder.  It worked very well, and we slowly walked, listened, and ate our way back to the car. 

When we girls got home, Jon was here.  He had a load of yard waste in Vic’s pick-up and couldn’t drive it back to the laundry because one head light and two tail lights are out.  Troy’s parents had hired Jon to clean up the brush from their yard and haul it off.   Dad drove Jon home and will fix the lights tomorrow and dump the waste.  Jon also came by yesterday after his first day of work.  He says it went well.  The store hasn’t opened yet, so he spent the day selling memberships at credit unions across the valley.  We met him after our date to help him get some work clothes.  They are going to be working him 8 hours a day for the next few days, and he will be paid on the 4th, so he’s pretty happy that he’ll have money soon.

Friday night for our date, Dad and I ate out and then drove up the overlook road and kept driving around the back of the mountains till we came out the Canyon.  It was a very rocky drive, and I’m surprised Dad’s little pick up could make it, but he said it would, and it did.  The drive was full of beautiful fall-colored mountain vistas.  We had fun driving and talking.  Grandpa and also my brother, Tom both said they’ve watched David Copperfield recently and really liked it.  I wasn’t sure that I’d ever read it or watched it and Dad said we have the DVD, so when we got home from helping Jon at Walmart, we watched the first half of it and really liked it.  We also watched some last night, but aren’t done with it yet.

Last week I worked in the mornings again.  I didn’t do much Insanity because of my knees.  You’ll laugh, but I exercise in my flip flops because any other shoes hurt my feet.  I’ve decided I have been having knee trouble because the flip flops don’t have the cushioning of a tennis shoe.   All the running and jumping, etc, in Insanity is just way too jolting on my knees.  I’m not sure what I’m going to do about it all, but I’m doing other exercises for now.  Once my knees feel better, I may try Insanity every other day. 

Wednesday was a crazy day with parent teacher conference at the high school and three parent meetings, too.  I was able to call Tom, though, and wish him happy birthday.  He’s forty six this year which shows you where we’re all headed J  It was nice to talk to him.  Sarah and James are in Texas now, and I think they are finally getting ready to move into their house.  They’ve been living in a hotel for what? About a month now?  The other relatives seem to be doing well and keeping busy. 

I got to Skype with Cassandra and Lily this week and I really liked it.  Jon was there with me, and he thought it was pretty silly the way I act when I talk to Lily, but I don’t care J  She did her friendly dance and rode her pony and smiled lots.  After Skyping, Jon was so disgusted about how slow my computer runs that he spent lots of time fixing it, and it has been running great ever since.

On Monday night we drove up the canyon and had a picnic for Family Home Evening.  It was fun to eat by the stream and talk.  After eating, since we didn’t have a Frisbee to throw around, we decided to go for a walk around the park instead.  By then it was getting cold so we hauled the blankets out of the back of the van and the wimpy ones wore them to stay warm.  We crossed the bridge and walked along the other side of the stream on a dusty trail.  It was a fun little walk.

Well, that was our week.  I’m back to studying Preach My Gospel.  I stopped for awhile because it just wasn’t working out for me to study it on the computer, but now I am studying again this time with books instead of online study tools.  I am learning about the Holy Ghost, and we plan to have a lesson on feeling the Holy Ghost for Family Home Evening tonight or tomorrow night.

I love you very much, Matt, and if you got a new area and companion, I hope you get used to it all soon and that you will be blessed to be able to continue on with the work of the Lord without interruption, and that you will be blessed with all the other things you need to be happy and close to Heavenly Father as you do His work.  I am praying for you!
Love,
Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment