Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sept 15--Dear Elder

Hi, Matt.  How are you?  I'm sorry in advance for writing such a short letter.  I'm not totally sure it will be short, but I figure that is will since I haven't written a thing about this week until now, and I know how hard it is to remember back to what happened.  I am writing this on the computer at one of the Sandiego Hampton Inns.  We are here because we drove Miriam to see Preston before he leaves to his assignment in Washington DC.  He graduates from training next week, but won't necessarily have any leave, so Miriam wanted to visit him this week instead.

Let's see if I can remember anything about this week.  Monday, I helped out with the carnival at the high school for awhile, but only till about 6:00 because of family home evening.  When everyone got home, we had roasted red pepper sauce and noodles for dinner.  That night Dad had to replace the rotors and the brake pads on the van, so we did that for family home evening.  We all sat out with him, and Katrina learned how to take off a tire and put it back on which is something she had to do for driver's ed.  Afterward we went to Auto Zone and showed them our old brake pads, and they gave us our money back on the new ones we'd purchased because they were under warranty.  Then we read scriptures on the way home.  Miriam wasn't with us because she had class, so it was just me, Dad, Katrina and Thomas.

On Tuesday, after work, Dad and I went to the temple which was a wonderful experience.  Late that night, Thomas was sick, and so he ended up staying home from school Wednesday and Thursday.  He also missed the football team dinner Wednesday night which was sad since I took a crock pot of roast beef stew for the dinner.  I had asked him days earlier what kind of soup the boys would want, and he basically said soup with lots of meat, so I made it and then the poor guy wasn't there to eat it.

Dad went on lots of home visits with another teacher this week, and actually seemed to enjoy it.  He and that teacher are becoming good friends; he's the guy who got Dad to buy a metal detector and they like to talk about metal detecting and arrowhead hunting.  

Its been raining a lot here and in other states, and in Colorado they had to call out the National Guard because of the flooding.  Many people had to evacuate.  I heard that Mexico has had tons of rain, too.  Are you okay?  They mentioned the places hardest hit and didn't mention your area, so I am hoping that all is well.  I noticed that in your letter you didn't talk much about the work.  Are things going okay?  I'm sorry if they are going slow, and hope and have been praying that they will pick up for you.

Thursday after work I visited a lady who lives in the new assisted living home that they built recently close to our house.  She is about my age.  When she was 20, she got in a terrible car accident, and still suffers from the affects of it.  She has three kids which is a miracle.  I met her Sunday when I taught the lesson there, and it was nice to get to know her better.  Her story is amazing, and she's a real sweetheart.

Our trip to San Diego started Friday after school.  We made good time, but still didn't get here till 1:30 in the morning our time which was 12:30 San Diego time.  Dad actually let me drive at the end and actually got a little sleep.  The next morning we drove to Camp Pendleton and picked up Preston.  It was wonderful to see him again; he is looking great.  We went to the San Diego Zoo, Old Town San Diego, and Seaport. Sometimes we were all together, and sometimes we split up.  It was fun to be on a little date with Dad.  Today we got to see Preston for just awhile.  We helped him get a haircut and walked around the commissary for awhile.  After we said goodbye to him, we went to church and then to lunch.  Now we are writing you!  Tomorrow we will drive home which means Dad and I will both miss work tomorrow.  We have to get back for Miriam's 6:00 class.

The kids seem to be doing well.  Thomas has been talking to merit badge counselors in an effort to get closer to his eagle, and Katrina has a concert tonight.  Elizabeth is going to drive her and Thomas there and also watch it.  It is very sweet of her to do that!  Yesterday they were very bored all day, but they survived.  Today they walked to stake conference together and seemed glad to have been able to get out of the house.

Well, that's about it, Matt.  Sorry it's so short.  Dad wants to leave now, so I have to stop.  I love you so much!  Please remember to serve other people!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment