Monday, September 23, 2013

Aug 26--Dear Elder

Blog Note:  I was supposed to publish this before the last post.  Sorry

Dear Elder,

Hi!  Thank you for your last email.  I know how busy you must be, and I’m so grateful that you take a minute and write a bit.  Thanks for telling me how you work with members in the ward.  How is that going?  I am glad that you were able to baptize little Juan.  How great must be your joy!  Sorry there is no grass.  It was that way in the Dominican Republic, too.  There were lots of beautiful tropical plants, but no grass.  Is Culiacan about the same temperature as Cabo?  I guess I could look that up myself, ha ha.  

Today is Wednesday, and the kids start school tomorrow.  They are all ready, I think except that Thomas wants another binder so that he can have one for a days and one for b days.  I think it is a smart idea.  Thomas starts gymnastics today and will be missing football because of it.  He also missed yesterday because of work.  That is not good, and he will have to do 5 monsters to make up for it.  Ask him what a monster is, because I’m not sure, ha ha.  It has something to do with lots of running.

Monday was a good day.  I can’t really remember  what we did during the day, but whatever it was, we survived to tell the tale, so it was a good day, right?  Monday night, we got to have family home evening.  Dad was going to be gone, and so I thought we wouldn’t be having it and almost let Thomas go play with a friend.  What’s with that?  Even if Dad hadn’t been home, the rest of us could have done something together.   Even when we realized that Dad would be home, I was going back and forth about whether or not we should let Thomas go.  Sometimes I really worry about my judgement, ha ha.  Anyway, we watched a video about the priesthood and the family, then we worked on sanding the baseboards and door casings downstairs, and then we read a conference talk.  It was wonderful.  All week last week I was praying that we could have family home evening Monday, and then I almost messed it up.  I’ve got to get more sleep so that I can think better, I guess.

Oh ya, also on Monday, Miriam, Katrina, and I started a detox which just means that we only eat unprocessed food for 5 days, and really try to control our portions.  Katrina and I went shopping for food Monday morning, and made dinner together.  The detox is going well.  It is a good way to bond with the girls, and that is what’s most important.  Any other benefit is extra.

Yesterday Katrina and I Skyped with Cassandra and Lily.  Lily has really enjoyed Skyping with Katrina lately.  It was fun to visit with them.  Lily sang for us, and ran around and around the couch for us, and said some of her favorite things for us.  They were very happy and that makes us happy.  I know we don’t get to Skype with Emerson much, but when he’s home, they concentrate on spending as much time together as possible, which I am glad of.  Have you been getting Cassandra’s emails?  She wasn’t sure.  Lily’s hair is getting really long, and she is going to be Princess Peach for Halloween.  Won’t that be  cute?

Last night, Dad and I went to Education Week.  We learned lots.  One thing that I thought you might be interested in, Matt was the following idea:  Some people hate themselves, and some people love themselves, and it is easy to think that those two things are opposites and that one is good and one is bad, but actually those two things stem from the same problem which is self-absorption.  Studies have shown that self-absorption in the form of self esteem is just as undesirable as self-absorption in the form of self-hate.  The opposite of self-absorption is self-forgetfulness and studies have shown that people who practice that are more productive and more happy.  It is when we forget ourselves and think about others that we find happiness.  Isn’t that what the scriptures have been telling us all along?  I certainly have found that to be true in my life. That does not mean I don’t take care of myself, it just means that taking care of myself is not my focus.  The more outward my focus becomes, the happier I am.  Good stuff, eh?

Now its Thursday. It’s kind of a hard time to be going to Education Week because this is a very busy week for Dad, getting ready for school to start, and he is hit with all these things he’s supposed to for his job and then he goes to Education Week and hears all these things he’s supposed to do for himself and his family.  It’s a bit overwhelming, I think.  He says he wants to keep going, though, and that he needs it, so we keep it up.  

Thomas liked his gymnastics class, but all the kids in it are pretty young.  He says he doesn’t care, but I wonder.  I guess the older boy who used to be in the class quit.  Why do I always start you guys into sports so late?  Remember soccer?  You stuck with it, though, and got pretty good.
    
Now it is Sunday and we are home from church.  It has been a good week.  Thomas and Katrina started school on Thursday and seem to like their classes okay.  Thomas is making the transition from junior high to high school, but I’m not thinking that it will be a hard one.  Anything is better than junior high, right?  Katrina has been doing homework for a month, already, and I think she’s happy to get going in earnest.   Miriam also started school.  Her first class was Saturday.  It was an art class and she said it was pretty easy which I am glad about since she has four classes in all, and is still working full time.   She has another class tomorrow night and then two more during the week. Tonight Dad is giving the kid father’s blessings to help them in the new school year.

Dad and  I finished out Education week, and are very glad we went although Dad is up to his ears in busyness.  He really wanted to go, and said it was worth it.  We took a parenting class, a marriage class, and a class on how the gospel brings us joy.  It was all basically about applying the atoning blood of Jesus Christ in our lives, our marriage, and our family.  It was really helpful.  

One of the things that have kept Dad so busy is painting the basement.   We finished it up late last night, and the carpet guys are coming Wednesday.  By the end of next week, we should be moved back into the new bedroom, and Miriam and Katrina should have their own rooms.  They can’t wait!  They never could agree on how to decorate their room, so it has remained undecorated through the years.  Now, Katrina is getting a new comforter for her birthday, and she bought herself a chair and ottoman, too, to begin decorating her room as soon as she gets it.  I hope they can keep their rooms clean because if they can’t, decorating isn’t going to help them much.

Saturday Dad went out metal detecting with a couple of guys from work.  They were gone most of the day, and he didn’t find any treasure, but I think he had a fun time.  Thomas was supposed to go in to work, but they called just before we left to tell him not to go in.   We went in anyway, because I had offered to drive another boy in for work, and Thomas came along so the boy wouldn’t feel awkward.  Miriam and Katrina came with us, too, and we stopped by my sister, Elizabeth’s after we dropped the boy off.  It was fun to see her and her family, and she told us about a garage sale she liked, so after we visited with them, we went to the sale, and that’s where Katrina got the chair for her room.  We stopped at our favorite treat place which is a Wendy’s/Seven Eleven/gas station close to Elizabeth’s.  We like it because those who like Frosties can get Frosties, and those who like Slurpees can get Slurpees, ha ha.

I gave a talk in church about you, today, Matt, and Katrina sang with some other kids from the children’s choir.  The song they sang was so beautiful, and it got me all choked up before I ever started talking, ha ha.  Anyway, I told the ward about Pablo, and I also talked to them about member missionary work because I thought you’d want me to, Matt.  I read to them some of the things you’ve talked about member missionary work, and I also referred to some of the things Elder L. Tom Perry said in his April 2009 General Conference talk entitled “Bring Souls Unto Me.”  In it he talks a lot about how important members are in converting and retaining new members.  He also tells a good story in there, Matt.  I hope you can read it.  I figured your successes and struggles along with Elder Perry’s authority and wisdom would be a good combination, and I think is was.  When I tried the talk out on Dad before, I could barely talk or express myself, but I knew that Heavenly Father would help me say what he wanted me to say, and I felt His help as I spoke.

Right now Katrina and Thomas are at a Standard’s night for the young men and young women of the ward, I just took a little nap, and now Dad is taking one.  It’s windy and cloudy outside which I hope means that it will rain since I don’t want to go out and water the plants, ha ha.  I hope you had a good Sunday, too Matt.

Today is Monday, Matt, and no job in sight, ha ha.  I still can’t help feeling relieved about that.  I think two of the jobs I’ve applied for are still open, but I’m not real hopeful about them.  The reason I say that is because they are both at the same elementary school, and I have a friend who works there, so I went to her house and told her I was applying.  We had fun talking, and she told me a bit about the jobs.  She also encouraged me to go to the school and introduce myself to the principle which ended up being as uncomfortable as I thought it might be.  Anyway, Matt, I said a prayer before hand, and I knew that it would go as well as Heavenly Father wanted it to, so I’m not too sad about it.  

Elizabeth just called and invited me over to work on some projects, so I think that is what I will be doing today.  I hope you are happy and I can’t wait to get your email.  I hope you are finding people to teach, Matt, we are sure praying for you to. 

Matt, I talked to you about service before, but I want to again because I feel so strongly about it.  Please look for ways to serve the people around you.  Maybe one of the special events you could hold is a ward service project for someone less active or who isn’t a member.  Maybe not.  I don’t know because I’m not there, but I hope that you pray about it because if you do, I’m sure Heavenly Father will help you figure out a way you can serve others.  You are a creative guy, Matt.  I know that if you use that strength to brainstorm some ideas, Heavenly Father will open your mind and pour ideas into it.  Remember to write them all down no matter how silly they seem.  Keep writing and writing whatever comes into your head and your companion’s, too, no matter how small and insignificant.  Then ponder on the list you made.  Remember to pray through the whole process. 
 I love you, Matt.  I know Heavenly Father is happy with you and that you are the right missionary in the right place at the right time to bring souls unto Him.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment