Monday, September 23, 2013

Aug 19--Email From Matt

Blog Note:  Arrggghhh!  I just realized I haven't published this letter from Matt yet.  Here it is, now.  I suggest you read the letters in order by the date in the titles, first my letter then Matt's from the same day or close to the same day.  Sorry so confusing!

Why can't we contact on the street: you answered your own question haha :) :  "I have often thought that if we members would do our duty, missionaries wouldn't have to tract at all." We, as missionaries, are lazy. It is easier to contact someone in the street or knock on a door than involve the members in the finding process. With members it is a lot of work and it can be very hard, but, it is much better than street contacting and the converts that are found and fellowshipped by members usually stay active in the church.

What other "special" activities do we do? Well in los Cabos, we did teach English, but very few people came, I think that we would have worse results here, so we don't teach English, there are building here, Culiacán has 3 stakes and it's possible that in the future they might build a temple here. Unfortunately, there is not a line of people that want to tour our buildings here... haha so we don't give tours that much either.

How do we encourage the members to help us? Well the first thing we do is we check and see how their testimony is doing, if their testimony is struggling we invite them to read the scriptures and say daily prayers, personally and as a family. If their testimony is strong, we invite them to look for missionary opportunities, we invite them to pray for opportunities to preach the gospel and we ask them if they know someone that we can teach.

How is this area different than los Cabos? Well, here, it's older, more developed in some ways, and a lot more Mexican.... I really don't know how to describe the difference... Ok, over there, there are piles of sand and dust in the street and little to no vegetation, here, there are more trees, more garbage (well not more, just.... there's more mountained garbage) more pollution. but in both places, there is hardly any grass. NO GRASS!!!! nowhere. (Almost)

What have I been doing? Preaching the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Juan, a 9 year old boy, got baptized. Now, almost everyone in his family are members. His dad's the only one who isn't a member. I felt honored when he asked me to baptize him. About your talk: Well, tell everyone that I love them, That they need to look at all the good work that they have done, give thanks and start working even harder.

I now have a question for you. This Friday night, Saturday morning (the 17th) at about 12:20am (I don't remember if the time zones are the same here.) What were you doing? thank you so much, it makes me very happy to know that everything is going well. I hope to hear from you this next monday. I love you!
-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment