Thursday, August 15, 2013

Aug 12--Dear Elder: Missionary Work, Mini Vacation

 Dear Matt, Thank you for your last email.  It was wonderful to read a synopsis of what you've learned and accomplished in Cabo.  We especially loved reading about your experience with Pablo.  I'm so glad that you and your companion were so close to the Spirit and able to help him the way you did.  We read about your experience to the kids, although I doubt they remembered to mention it in their letters to you, tonight.  You'll have to forgive them, Matt, a week ago to a teenager is like a year ago to the rest of us, ha ha.  They really enjoyed hearing it, though, and I think it was especially good for Thomas to hear in preparation to serve a mission, himself.  Dad was very touched by your account, and it made him cry.

It is exciting that you have been transferred.  Reading about all you've accomplished, it really seems like you did what the Lord wanted to you to do, and it was time to move on.  Thank you for taking the time to look at the good.  I hope it gave you a good feeling of accomplishment, which is a good thing. I looked up the word "balacero," and from what I can make out, it means "gun fighters."  Is that right?  I know something about Culiacan because Dad and I watched a special on it a couple of days before you were transferred, and all I can say is, I know I need to pray more often for your safety now, ha ha.  I am so happy to read that the ward helps the missionaries the way that they do.  I know you will only help, not hurt the work there.

I have been trying to do a bit of missionary work, myself, here at home.  (Blog note:  I then proceeded to tell Matt about my efforts to share the gospel)

The next morning, we left for a little vacation, and are still here, so I have no idea what happened yet with my efforts to share the gospel with others, but I still pray for them with all my heart.  We left Friday morning and got to the festival a bit before 10:00.  Our day started out slow, with a backstage tour, that was interesting, but very long.  That day we were able to see two plays, a musical and a William Shakespeare play.  Both were outstanding.  Dad arranged our trip and got us tickets for Katrina's sake because she begged us to go last year when they were doing "Les Miserables," but we couldn't because we were caring for Grandma at the time, so Dad told her we would go this year.  I must admit, I don't think anyone besides Katrina was excited to go, but we really enjoyed it.  Have you ever been there, Matt?  The theater is a reproduction of one of the theaters where Shakespeare's plays were performed.  It is an open-air theater, which makes it very beautiful and magical.  In fact, we loved it so much, that we went back and saw another play again last night.  The plan was to stay in a different city all day Saturday, but everyone wanted to drive back and see another play, so we did.

Okay, so this is how the trip went.  Friday, we saw two plays.  After the second play, and very late at night, we drove to the next city, checked into our hotel, and went to sleep.  Saturday we spent the day tooling around,

Kat and Thom at a place where pioneers wrote their names on the rock.  We went here and to the sand dunes on Saturday.

We visited Gpa and Gma's old house on Saturday, too.  Notice the tree in the foreground. It has a metal "No parking" sign imbedded in it.  When I was young, you could still see more than half of the sign


Now all you can see of the sign is a tiny corner.

and then we drove back to the festival in the evening to watch the second Shakespeare play, another excellent production.  Once again, we drove back to our hotel late at night.  Today (Sunday), we went to the temple visitor's center where we saw the Christus . After that, we went to church with my Uncle Ray.  Do you remember the time we went to California and on Sunday, we went to my Aunt Brenda and Uncle Ray's ward and then they invited us over for lunch afterward?  Well that same aunt and uncle bought a house here.  Brenda was out of town in California this week getting their home there ready to sell, but Uncle Ray was in town.  It was very nice to visit their ward.  We heard two missionaries speak, one going out, and one coming back.  They both gave very good messages. After that, my Uncle Ray gave us a tour of their new home.  It is absolutely beautiful with stained glass windows and lots of custom woodwork.  The back yard has lots of fruit trees and planter boxes.  It was very nice of my Uncle Ray to give us the "Grand Tour," and I'm so glad  we got to visit with him.  After that, we toured some church history sites.  Now it is time for bed, and we will be leaving for home in the morning.  It has been a wonderful trip.  The only sad thing is that Miriam couldn't join us because of work.  She is feeling sick, too.  I hope she is better soon.

Well, Matt, that is about it for this week.  We all love you very much, and are so proud of you.  Tell us all about your new companion and your new experiences.  Tell him "hi" for us, too.  Thank you for your good example of faithfulness to the Lord.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment