Thursday, August 8, 2013

Aug 4--Dear Elder

Dear Elder,

 It is Monday, and I am preparing to send this letter off to you.  I plan to tack this part, where I answer your last email, on to the beginning of the letter.  Thanks for your email, even though it was very short, ha ha.  I think that when I happen to be on the email the same time as you, and we “chat,” we don’t really say much, and it takes you away from reading and writing emails, so I probably won’t do that much anymore if that’s okay.

So, Matt, I have an assignment for you this week, and it’s based on something Dad has taught me through the years, when I’ve been discouraged by my faults.  Look at the good things you’ve done.  In the email you write me, I want to hear all about your successes, not just the big things, but the small and simple ones that seem like nothing.  Take some time to remember the good stuff, and then do that daily.  Every night, as you report to the Lord, tell him all of the good things you have done to serve Him.  That is not pride, it is the righteous reporting of a valiant servant.  Remember to thank Him for his grace that made it possible for you to do good things.  When you fail to acknowledge the good you’ve done, you automatically fail to acknowledge the Lord’s hand in it, but when you report and show gratitude for the good you are able to accomplish, you strengthen your relationship with Him, and all things become possible!   Righteous reporting of the faithful things you’ve done is just as important as the righteous repenting of the mistakes you made.  It is all righteousness!  Whew.  Sorry for the sermon, ha ha.

Anyway, Dad’s birthday was really fun.  The only thing that could have made it better is if Jon could have come, but somehow he didn’t get our message about the party, and when we texted him to see if he was coming, it was too late, he already had other plans.  Dad’s party centered on food, of course.  The barbecue roast we made was good.  We also had corn, watermelon, and salad with garden tomatoes.  He really liked the cake I made him sweetened with Erythritol.  I used coconut flour and almond flour instead of wheat flour to cut down on carbs.  Dad is a cake lover, so it was a real treat for him.  Besides eating, we talked and visited a lot.

Everyone gave him a heart-felt letter, which is his favorite birthday gift, and is good for you, Matt, since that’s something you can give him even being in Mexico.  He is using his birthday money to buy a gift that he says is a surprise and that we are going to pick up today.  Since it he called it a surprise, and since I know Dad, I figured that it was more a gift for me than for him.  Also in, typical Dad fashion, he was so excited about the gift, he couldn’t stop talking about it and giving hints until, in typical Mom fashion I guessed it after 2 hints.  Anyway, “his” present is to get the diamond we bought while we were on our cruise set into my wedding ring.  He’s really excited about it, and so am I.  Just think, by tonight I will have a real diamond in my wedding ring again! Yay!  Your dad really is the sweetest guy around, and just happens to be the love of my life. BTW, Little does he know, he has more presents coming on his actual birthday, ha ha.

Well, after we ate, we went around and told Dad what we would give him if we had all the resources in the world.  Most of it centered around Disney domination and incredible wealth.  I also tacked on that I would give him a professorship in history at the University.  After that, he asked about Madlibs, and then realized that we sort have neglected birthday Madlibs this year, commenting that we are Madlib libbers, or Madlib liberated, ha ha. Anyway, after that, Don, Renee, and Becky came over for a visit.  It was nice to see and visit with them.  So, the highlight of all parts of the evening was talking.

Now for the part of the letter I wrote Sunday morning.  I am putting it all together backwards this time, I guess.

Matt, today is Sunday.  First, I want to tell you some amazing news about Preston.  As I told you before, he is in the Marines.  He finished initial training in July and is now in school of infantry training and will graduate in September.  Anyway, Preston texted Miriam Saturday morning to tell her that he is one of 25 marines to be assigned to the Washington DC barracks of the 8th and I.  Even though we had little idea of what it meant, we were so excited when she told us!  We knew that whatever else it meant, it was a great honor.

Since then, I looked it up, and here’s what Wikipedia says about the 8th and I:
Marine Barracks, Washington, D.C. is located at the corner 8th and I Streets, Southeast in Washington, D.C. Established in 1801, it is a National Historic Landmark, the oldest post in the United States Marine Corps, the official residence of the Commandant of the Marine Corps since 1806, and main ceremonial grounds of the Corps.

Isn’t it wonderful?  He will report there after he graduates in September. I’m so excited that he was chosen for such an honor, Matt.  He is certainly worthy in every way to be part of this elite group.  Being a Marine has been his dream since he learned as a boy that his great grandpa was a Marine who fought and died on Iwo Jima.  He is a moral, upstanding young man as you know.  He is also tall and thin, and the article said there are strict height, weight, and background requirements.

Okay, so Preston just called Miriam and I got her to ask him some specific questions.  He says he will be marching in the weekly parades at Arlington National Cemetery and also at the Iwo Jima monument.  He said that he’s not sure why he was chosen except that he’s over six feet, not fat (as he put it), and that they said something about confidence and maturity.  This will be an amazing way to honor his great grandpa’s memory, and the perfect place for Preston to fulfill his four years of duty in the Marine Corps.

Well, any other news pales in comparison, but here’s what else has been happening.  Friday I did some of my monthly shopping.  Poor Dad spent the day resurfacing the drive way at the laundry, and he was pretty exhausted by the time I met him for our date, so we just ate and then went home again.  Yesterday we got to spend some time together purchasing and loading sheet rock.  We also ate lunch together.

Last night we had a neighborhood barbecue at the Peerys.  It was a redneck theme, and Miriam bought herself overalls, a flannel shirt, and redneck boots.  Katrina and I wore plaid shirts.  It was fun to visit with the neighbors.  I’m very glad we went.
Today we will be having a family birthday party for Dad.  I bought stuff to make him a low-carb birthday cake, and I sure hope it turns out.  He asked for barbecue roast for dinner, so that is what we are having.  I hope Jon can come over to celebrate with us!
It’s been kind of a hard week, like wading through quicksand, but it has been good, too.  I hope your week has been good, Matt.

Hi!  Today is Friday.  I want to write to you before I forget what happened this week, ha ha.  It has been a hard week for us because it seems like the good things we have tried to do didn’t really happen, but we’re still trying.

Monday night we wanted to have family home evening, but a guy came over to give us and estimate on hanging and taping the drywall in our basement instead.  He used to be in our ward, and his wife came over, too.  It was nice to visit with them, but we missed family home evening.

I have spent lots of time this week doing inventory.  I take a monthly inventory of what food and household items we have and what we need and then I do a big monthly shopping to replenish.  I try to keep a three month supply of everything so that we can be prepared.  The inventory takes kind of a long time, but it is done now and I am going shopping today if everything goes as planned.

I have also been working on getting family pictures ready to hang up on the wall.  First, I had trouble getting enough of the picture frames I wanted, but now I have plenty.  Also I had to fix some of the pictures.  I have a picture of Cassandra and Lily and one of Emerson and Liliy, so I had to “photoshop” them to make a picture of all three together.  At first I asked someone else to do it, but it didn’t turn out so well, so I did it myself, and it looks pretty good.  Also, I have two versions of our last family portrait and there are aspects of both that I don’t like, so I took the best from both and made new one.  Anyway, I am almost ready to hang the pictures.  Yay!

Tuesday Dad and I wanted to go to the temple, but I had a doctor’s appointment and it went long, plus Jeff came over from across the street.  He’s helping Dad with the wiring for the basement.  Wednesday we had a stake young men/young women activity at the park where we played capture the flag.  It was a beautiful day, and the activity turned out very good.  It was so well attended that we sent Miriam to the store for us to buy five more donuts.  There were about 230 people including youth and leaders.  I enjoyed talking to the leaders and some of the youth in our ward.

Katrina is pretty sick.  It started out with a cough in the night, but has evolved into a full-fledged cold complete with low-grade fever.  She slept down on the couch last nigh with her kindle to keep her company if she couldn’t sleep.  I think she slept really well, though, so that’s a good thing.  Thomas has been trying to work every day this week.  He also has been working on merit badges because he wants to get his eagle scout by the time he’s 16.  Thursday, he got to swim at Seven Peaks with his friends before work, and he really enjoyed that.  Miriam has been working a whole lot.

Thursday night, Dad and I were able to go to the temple, finally, and I am so glad we did that!  It was a wonderful experience and I enjoyed being with him.  He had to work at the laundry after that.  He’s resurfacing the parking lot and driveway.  It is a lot of work.  He’s going to be doing that again, today (Friday), but he says we can still go out on a date, so that will be nice.

Well, Matt, that's it.  Sorry it was all backwards, ha ha!  I love you very much and can't wait to read your next letter.  I can't believe its already 11:36.  I hope this gets emailed in time!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment