Thursday, August 8, 2013

Aug 6--Email From Matt

Hey Mom, yeah, that was a little confusing backwards, but nothing too bad, so anyway, I am writing today because I got transferred, after just about 6 months in my last area, I am now in Culiacán, the land of balaceros. The bishop my new ward and my new companion picked me up in the airport yesterday at about 5:00 pm, and then the bishop took us out to eat late lunch early dinner in Carl's JR. A real Mexican style treat! hahah. Anyway, this ward is a doing well, they have a ward mission plan and many people have been getting baptized.

Here's some other news, Pablo, a 21 year old that I've known since the beginning of my time in los cabos, just barely got baptized this last Friday!!! It was such a cool experience, we were not expecting it at all! On Tuesday, at about 7:45 pm we were looking for someone, a reference, when suddenly, I felt the need to go talk with Pablo, it was a weird feeling, because I didn't doubt it at all, it wasn't a very firm feeling, but I knew that we needed to go see him, so, about 40 min. away from his house, we started running there, and (because the bus system is a lot more widely used here) we saw a bus and got on, even thought we didn't know where it was going to. As we were getting on, I saw that it was the right bus, and 15 min. later we were walking up to Pablo's house, he was sitting out side and the first thing he said to us, jokingly, was: "Elders, I called you here with my mind," to which we replied, seriously: "We know, what do you want?" We talked for a bit, entered his house and had a very spiritual lesson in which the Lord receives 200% of the credit for every good thing that was said. In the lesson, we all got down on our knees and Pablo asked the Lord what he needed to do, after his prayer, Elder Guzman and I got the strong impression that he needed to be baptized, and the first thing Pablo said was: "I need to change." We talked and he decided to be baptized August 2. I felt very honored when he asked me to baptize him. After his baptism he was confirmed by a brother from the Ward. What a great experience. It was a little hard to leave right after his baptism, but I'm sure that he's in good hands with Elder Guzman and Elder Toomy, and most importantly, the Lord.

Ok, my "assignment (Blog Note:  I gave Matt an assignment to list all of the good things he's done)":

I've been obedient, Elder Guzman and I had a great companion relation before I got transferred. We baptized Pablo, we changed our way of thinking about missionary work and had started to look for the people of humble heart and broken spirit, the kind of people that are willing to accept and follow the will of God.

 One couple we taught started paying tithing in a financially difficult moment and gained a great testimony on tithing that will help them throughout their life. They are also planning to be sealed in the temple this next April. Amazing.  I felt a real love for them and was sad to leave them.

 We were able to help a sister gain a testimony of the church after being a member for six year just to follow her husband, and she, in turn, has started to preach the gospel through example and word to her sons, daughters in law and grandchildren who all live in her home. She and her husband are now planning to be sealed this year in the temple.

Another sister started to do her daily scripture study and write in her journal, which is amazing because after she started we found out that she almost never had schooling and almost doesn't know how to read or write.

A family we taught started doing their family scripture study.

I've learned how to follow the spirit as I invite people to come unto Christ and to not force them.

I've learned to not judge others when they don't follow the rules, but rather to help them and, in some small way, inspire them to repent and live better, as I myself am inspired by them to live better and repent.

I've learned that fear destroys brotherly love, and many ways to avoid that fear.

 I've learned the importance of virtue and how my confidence can wax strong in the presence of God. All of that wouldn't have happened with out the loving correction and constant help of the Lord.

With that list of good things also comes a list of mistakes that I've made. I've been able to see the over-time effects that a missionary causes when he doesn't follow the spirit.

Well that's my letter this week Mom, sorry that it's late but better late than never! I hope to hear from you and the family.  If you can read the experience that we had with Pablo to Thomas, Katrina and Miriam and tell them that that is their letter from me this week? I love you all a lot. I hope that you are all doing well and I pray for you all.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment