Friday, January 4, 2013

Jan 1--Dear Elder


Dear Matt,

How are you?  It was so nice to Skype you on Christmas!  Here is a run-down of our past week.  On the Friday and Saturday before Christmas, we drove for many hours to get to Cassandra and Emerson’s house to spend Christmas with them and little Lily.  The drive was long, but we had fun talking, joking, and reading together.  When we got to their house, Lily was asleep, but we enjoyed visiting with Cassandra and Emerson.  Their house is so nice, and they had it all done up for Christmas.  We loved getting the grand tour.  They really picked out a lovely place to live, and they are doing a wonderful job making their house a home.  We must have been noisy because Lily woke up and we got to see her!  She is such a fun baby.  The kids played and played with her.  Her absolute favorite thing to do was to lay in a blanket and have the kids hold the edges and swing her back and forth.  It made her laugh and laugh.

The next day we went to Cassandra’s ward and then we had a delicious meal afterwards.  Cassandra made us the most wonderful food while we were there!  I think my favorite was the turkey cooked in her crockpot.  We spent most of that Sunday just talking to Cassandra and Emerson and playing with Lily—just getting reacquainted. 

On Christmas Eve we went to “The Egg and I” to eat breakfast.  I think I already told you how delicious that was!  We also did some shopping.  Christmas eve night we did gifts from the heart which was really fun.  Jon joined us via Skype, and everyone enjoyed giving their gifts.  Lily’s gift to Dad was the promise of new pictures and videos to come that no one has seen yet.  Dad’s gift to Miriam was a promise to take her out to dinner, Miriam’s gift to Cassandra was a big notebook filled with Cassandra’s writings, drawings, awards, and photos from her childhood.  Cassandra’s gift to Jon was a promise to Skype him five times soon.  Jon’s gift to Katrina was a trip to the nickel arcade.  Katrina’s gift to Lily was a flower fairy abc book.  Emerson’s gift to Thomas was at trip to the game store to play board games.  My gift to Emerson was a pocket daddy survival kit, and Thomas’s gift to me was some cartoons he made about me being a mom.  They were pretty funny. 

Christmas at Cassandra and Emerson’s was so wonderful!  We got to watch Lily open her gifts which was so fun!  The gifts were few and well thought out and she loved them!  We played games visited more, and made dinner.  The highlight of the day was Skyping with you, Matt!  It was so good to see your face, hear your voice, and  wish you a Merry Christmas.  The time went way too fast, though.  Thanks for talking to us about the media we watch and having high standards.  It was a message I know we will all take to heart.  It was hard to say goodbye after 50 minutes, but I hope you had a nice time Skyping Jon.  While we were Skyping with you, the missionaries were over for dinner.  We didn’t plan on doing both at the same time, but it worked out okay because Emerson was very sweet and visited with the missionaries and fed them while we talked to you.  The missionaries understood, though, since they planned to visit with their own families right after dinner. 

The rest of the time went very quickly.  We shopped and visited and played more games and watched a movie.  I seem to remember eating lots and lots of ice cream, ha ha.  We left for home on Friday morning after Christmas and after staying over at the half-way point and visiting the canyon, we got home Saturday night.  

On Sunday we had some wonderful talks and lessons at church and I also had a meeting.  The highlight of Sunday was making New Year’s resolutions together as a family.  Some of my resolutions are to exercise daily, not eat sugar, and read the teachings of the prophets.  Do you have any resolutions, Matt? 

Today is New Year’s Eve and Dad and I have to chaperone at the regional New Year’s dance for the youth.  Dad is so looking forward to that.  JUST KIDDING!  He is so good to support me in my calling this way.  Also today, Dad and I are going to see Les Mis.  Yay!  I hope I can stay awake.  I’ve been having sleep issues lately and then when I can sleep, I do other things instead.

Well, Matt.  I hope you have a good New Year.  We have been praying for you guys, and  I know Heavenly Father will help you.  Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment