Monday, November 12, 2012

Nov 11--Dear Elder: Halloween, The Movies, Family History, Food Storage,


2012 11 05
Dear Elder,

How are you?  I hope you got the pictures that I sent you.  We have been praying that you will find people to teach the gospel to, has it been working?  You mentioned time change, do you mean daylight savings time?  We just did that yesterday.  It was sure nice to sleep in!  I’m sorry that people open their doors less now that it gets darker earlier.  You said that transfers were last week.  Did you stay in the same area like you thought you would?  Are you with the same companion?  How are things going for you now?  I can’t wait to get your email today!

We have had a nice week.  Yesterday was especially nice because it was fast Sunday so I was able to fast for the blessing we need, and also I don’t have any meetings on fast Sunday so I was able to be with the family.  After church we took Grandma for a ride which she loved.  She didn’t  say “orange” or  tell Dad to slow down once.  Then we came home and made sweet potato soup and bread for dinner. 

 After dinner, we had family home evening.  Dad read about the conversion of Grandpa's family to the gospel.  It was really wonderful to hear it.  Dad especially loved it and didn’t remember ever hearing it before.  The account was written by the sister missionary who helped to convert the family.  Her name is Margaret Madsen and one of her children live quite close to us, just past the four way stop on our street.  She contacted us a few years ago to ask if we wanted her account of her conversion.  It was wonderful to meet her.  How grateful we are that she went on a mission and brought Grandpa’s family the gospel.  Another interesting thing is the Elder Leif Shumway, related to me through Charles Shumway, is the elder who baptized them!  Small world J

Also for family home evening, we bore our testimonies of what we know to be true.  I cannot express to you how it warms my heart to be able to sit with the family and hear their thoughts and feelings about the gospel of Jesus Christ!  I am most happy and secure in my life when I know we are doing these types of things—things that bring us closer to each other and to the Savior.   I’ve never really thought I had a favorite scripture, but writing this to you, I suddenly realize that I do!  “I have no greater joy than to hear that my  children walk in truth”  3 Jon1: 4.   Tonight we will continue our family home evening by reading a conference talk, having an activity by Katrina, and a treat by Miriam.

On Saturday, Dad worked very hard at the laundry.  Miriam also worked there, cleaning to earn some money.  Katrina was at play practice, and Thomas hung out with Jayden.  I did a humongous shopping at Costco.  With having only half the children at home than we used to, and with changing our diet drastically, I found that I had lots of food in my 3 month’s supply that was going bad, and I also found that I was lacking lots of food that we needed.   My Costco bill came to over $500 and my Walmart bill on Friday came to over $400.  I still need to go buy some stuff at the grocery store.  Also, on Saturday, Dad and I took an inventory of our year’s supply, and bought what we needed for the kids who can’t tolerate whole wheat.  We spent another $400 there.  Don’t worry, I have a preparedness account that I make deposits into, and I have been saving up for a long time so that I could do this!

Friday night, Dad and I went to see a movie.  We started late because Dad got home late, and to be honest, I wasn’t ready till then either, because I was busy putting Walmart purchases away and fine tuning my inventories.  Anyway, I love Megaplex theaters!  For one thing, you can reserve your seats when you buy the tickets online so that you don’t have to get to the theater early in order to get a good seat.  Besides, it’s stadium seating so there really isn’t a bad seat in the house.  For another thing, they sell food right there in the lobby that is reasonably priced, tastes good, and can be taken right into the theater in a nice lap tray.   Last, I love their drink machines!  You can get any flavor and type of drink imaginable.  I always get Fanta Zero, and there at least eight flavors of that alone!  I don’t drink much pop, but it is my favorite movie treat because I can sip it all movie long.   More about movies:  wait for next month!  Not only will the hobbit be coming out, but also Les Miserables, and the Stephen Spielberg movie about Lincoln!  The trailers for all three look incredible. 

On Thursday, Dad worked all evening.  Preston came over to the house and we made dinner and played “Mormon bridge” which was a ton of fun.  Wednesday was Halloween.  Thomas and Miriam both went to parties.  Katrina stayed home and watched Phantom of the Opera, and Dad and I sat outside, gave out candy and watched “Nightmare Before Christmas.”  

On Tuesday we went to the temple!  It was a beautiful experience.  I am so glad that Dad and I are sealed to each other and to you and your siblings for eternity.  When I think about the eternity we'll get to spend together, I guess giving you up to the Lord for two years is not so much for Him to ask of me.

Also on Tuesday I got to talk to Cassandra.   She was taking Lily to a Halloween party with Lily dressed as a pumpkin. Remember I sent you a pict of Lily in her costume?  So cute!  Anyway, Grandma is in Texas right now and she and the Stoddards are going to go visit Cass, Em and Lily tomorrow.  It will be the first time Grandma and the Stoddards have ever seen Lily!  Plus they will get to see their new house!  I wish so much that I could be there with them all.  It will be so nice to see most of them in December!

I got to see Jon a couple of times this week and had a really nice time talking to him on the phone this morning.  He was on his way to the dentist.  It is so nice to see him when I go to Costco!  It makes it way more fun.  He's sold the highest percentage of memberships since they opened, and is liking it pretty good although it can be stressful.

 Monday we had Family Home Evening.  I told a story called “Saved by the Faith of our Mother which was written by your Great Grandpa Haws.   It is about a time when his mother  loaded up the kids in the car and left  Mexico for Arizona.  They stopped on the way to warm a bottle for the baby and somehow ended up starting a fire that burned up their car.  A group of men stopped to give them a ride, but instead of driving them to the border they drove them to a ranch and it was obvious that they had nothing good in mind.  Your great great grandma began praying and singing hymns non-stop till the men’s hearts were softened.  They drove her to the border where Great great grandpa came to get them.  Miriam also gave a lesson on the Christ-like attribute of obedience. 

Sorry this is so long, Matt!  I guess I didn’t leave you much time to reply, but I’d rather you get a nice long letter than me, although it is a pretty big sacrifice!  I love you so much and I hope your week is wonderful!  Please please let us know about anything you need.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment