Friday, November 23, 2012

Nov 19--Dear Elder


Dear Matthew,
Hi!  How are you?  How is life in La Paz?  I just looked up La Paz on the internet and I see that it is a very clean and safe place, and that the standard of living is quite high by Mexico standards.  I also see that it is probably about 75 degrees at this time of year, and that there are plenty of tourists in La Paz, but that is probably close to the beach.  How do you like it there?  You say that there is a very low activity rate in the church in La Paz.  Why is that, do you think?  I’m glad that you and Elder Trejo can work to help members come back into activity.  Tell Elder Trejo “hi” for us, and tell him I admire his commitment to be a missionary even though the others in his family aren’t members.

This morning I helped to train the leaders of the young women in two different wards, and then I also taught the relief society lesson as a substitute teacher.  I basically just read amazing quotes by the prophet George Albert Smith and asked questions so that the sisters could share their insights on the subject.  It went pretty well although I’ve since thought of a million ways that I could have improved the lesson.  Tonight we are going to Katrina and Thomas’s Thanksgiving choir concert in American Fork, and I really look forward to it.  The concerts are always so inspirational!    

Last night we went to see Katrina in the Ensemble of “Annie Get Your Gun,” the MMHS fall musical.  Katrina did a wonderful job.  She’s an amazing actress even when she doesn’t have any lines, and she looked so pretty in her costumes, especially her ball gown.  We got to sit on the very front row and enjoyed the entire play immensely. 

On Friday, I worked on an ABC book that Katrina is making for Lily, and I am helping her.   Then on Friday night, Dad and I went to see the movie, Lincoln and we really enjoyed it. Do you remember that edited movie Cassandra had, the “Last of the Mohicans?”  The main character, Hawkeye, was played by Daniel Day Lewis, the same guy who plays Lincoln.  He did an amazing job!  I felt like I really got a glimpse of how Lincoln actually looked and acted.  Anyway, we had a nice time.

Thursday was basically visiting teaching day.  My visiting teachers, Sis Mathis and Sis Fjerstad came to visit teach me, and then later, Emily and I went to visit our visiting teaching sisters.  We had wonderful time catching up on what they’ve been up to since we saw them last month, and Emily gave them a message from President Uchtdorf’s talk in general conference.  Did you get to hear that talk, Matt?  It was basically on lessening regrets in life by 1) Spending more time with family, 2) Working on becoming the person God wants us to be, and 3) Letting ourselves be happy and enjoy the journey of life.  It was a wonderful talk.  
Later Brother and Sister Zhart came over and helped me with some family history.  It was a very nice day.

Wednesday, Dad came home early.  Katrina was at play practice and Miriam and Thomas were out at the malls buying Thomas a coat.  Dad and I enjoyed puttering around town just the two of us.  It seemed like a wonderful reprieve from the hustle of weekday activities. 

Tuesday evening, I went to a meeting and Dad worked.  Earlier in the afternoon, Jon called me and I went to Costco and picked up the turkey he got for being a Costco employee.   It will sure be nice on Thanksgiving, and I look forward to having him and also Don and Renee here to celebrate it with us. 

Monday we played Mormon Bridge as planned and we had a very fun time!  That’s really all I remember about Monday except getting your letter, Matt.  Remembering back that far sure strains my brain, ha ha!  Anyway, that was our week.   I hope that your week was as good and that this week is even better!
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment