Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Oct 9--Dear Elder


2012 10 07
Dear Elder,
Thanks so much for your letter of last week!  It is wonderful that you helped that sweet sister exercise the faith necessary to go to church.  Please let me know how she is doing

We have had a wonderful week, especially a wonderful Saturday listening to LDS General Conference.  Do you get to watch conference live, or do you have to wait!  Have you listened to the sessions yet?  Did you hear or hear about the prophet, President Monson’s announcement that young men can now serve missions at the age of eighteen, and young women at the age of nineteen?  What an exciting announcement!  Can you imagine having gone on your mission a year earlier than you did?  It probably would have been a good thing.  It was wonderful to hear the Prophet’s voice announce this and also the building of two new temples, on in Tucson, AZ and one in Peru.  I also enjoyed Elder Nelson’s talk.  I don’t know what he entitled it, but I would call it “Ask the Missionaries,” because he told all about how missionaries can help people everywhere with their questions and needs.  Elder Oak’s talk about defending the children echoed my own thoughts that I have had on the subject lately.  There were so many wonderful talks!  Now it’s Sunday morning and Conference will start again in little more than an hour.  I can’t wait! 

Also on Saturday Becky came over and spent some time with Grandma so that we could get out between conferences.  We went for a drive and took in over 50 vhs and various other hand-held recorder tapes to be converted to digital and dvd.   It will sure be nice to have all the old home movies on the computer, and it was really nice of Becky to come and be with Grandma who really loved it.  Becky stayed and watched the second session with her, too, which was really nice.

 Katrina wasn’t with us yesterday, she was at a Shakespeare competition.  We missed her very much, and I’m sad she missed conference.  She got home after midnight last night (this morning).  She said she had a fun time and asked to not be woken up till just before conference time today.  Thomas had a game yesterday during conference time, but didn’t go, choosing to watch conference instead.  He and Miriam were the only kids we had home!  It was kind of weird to be so few. 

Jonathan has been out of town selling Costco memberships, but he is home now.  I haven’t heard how it was.  I hope he had a pretty good time and that he got to see Tyler and Stephanie who live there, I think. 
BTW, I found some spam on your Facebook page and reported it.  Also, Natalie had posted.  She’d heard there was a blog you could go to and “stalk” Elder Cole, so I sent her the link to my blog. 

Grandpa Haws’s birthday was yesterday and we tried to send him a video, but we’d taken it on the old camcorder and then couldn’t get it on the computer so we paid to get it put on dvd, and tried to post it on facebook and youtube, but since we couldn’t cut out the rest of what was on the tape and just post the little segment we did for Grandpa, youtube said it was removed because it was too big, and I think that was the reason it didn’t post to facebook either.  Anyway, today I’m going to ask Brother Melton if there is a way to post only that segment, and if not, I will have to go get it put on a digital disk or whatever it’s called which is what I should have done in the first place, but didn’t realize it.  Anyway, I did call and talk to Grandpa and wish him a happy birthday.  We talked for quite awhile which was really nice.  I sure love him!

I also got to talk to Cassandra and Lily on Skype.  It was so fun!  In April, I ordered a book made of Lily’s blog and sent it to Cassandra for her birthday.  Well, now it is Lily’s favorite book, and she had to get it and “read” it to me.  It was so cute!  She loves seeing the pictures of herself with her mommy and daddy.  The poor book is now missing a chunk from one page, and another page all together, but it is well, loved.  We’ll have to order another nice one sometime!  I also showed her my doggy puppet, which she liked.  She really laughed when I had the following conversation with the doggy:
 “Doggy..”
 “What?” 
“Doggy…”
 “What???” 
Doggy…” 
“WHAT???” 
It goes on for quite awhile like that.  Pretty hilarious, huh?  It mimics conversations Lily has with her mommy a lot except she says “Mommy” instead of “Doggy” of course.  Cassandra and Emerson will be closing on their house in ten days, and they are pretty excited.  So are we! 

On Friday I substituted in the morning where Dad works.  We weren’t in the same place at the same time because I was subbing for the other teacher, but it was fun to drive there and back with Dad.  He and I also went out to eat, went for a walk, and watched some of “The Pick Wick” papers that night.  It was so fun! 
Miriam finished reading the Lord of the Rings in the last little while, so we have been watching the LOR movies lately which has been fun.  Other than that, I can’t think of much that’s happened.  Oh, on Tuesday we had family home evening because it didn't work out on Monday.  I gave a lesson on emulating Jesus Christ in our lives and we made Grandpa’s video. 

I love you.  Matt.  Watching conference makes me feel closer to you as I hear different accents declare that this world-wide church is the true church of Jesus Christ again restored on the earth.  I love the thought of faithful Mexico saints and missionaries serving God alongside us and the other saints of the world in sharing His truth.  I know that your work is the Lord’s work and I am happier than I can say that you are engaged in it.
Love,
Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment