Monday, October 15, 2012

Oct 15--Dear Elder: Fall Break


Dear Elder,

Hi!  How are you?  Thanks for last week’s letter.   I am glad you got to hear a bit of conference at least.  I loved Elder Holland’s talk!  For me, the whole conference focused on true conversion.  I am really trying to be more fully converted to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.  I wrote all the counsel I hear in conference in little phrases on a piece of paper, and I read the paper every morning.  If I did something to follow that bit of counsel the day before, I put a dot by it.  I am trying to get lots of dots!  I hope you tell us how things are going with your investigators when you write and that you send a few pictures.  You write such wonderful letters and I appreciate it so much! 

This week was fall break for us, and to make it a real break, we had Grandma in respite care.  We stayed home and went and did fun things every day.  It was nice to get away for awhile.  We visited Grandma a few times, and she seemed pretty happy.  She kept asking everyone where she could buy a skirt and blouse.  She comes home today, and it will be nice to return to normal.

We fasted yesterday, and I really appreciated the chance to be strengthened spiritually.  I felt enlightened and prompted in ways to implement the counsel we received in conference.  Because Grandma wasn’t here yesterday, Dad was able to go with me to Sunday school, which I really enjoyed.  It was nice to be with Dad and it was nice to be in our ward instead of attending a different ward because of my church calling.    Testimony meeting was wonderful and full of the Spirit.   

By the way, our ward doesn’t have missionaries right now.  I’m not sure what to do to help the missionaries.  Elder Nelson’s talk in conference was on missionaries and how anyone who struggles with life’s questions can ask the missionaries.  It was directed to people listening to conference who weren’t members.

On Saturday,  Dad and I had an early date.  We went to lunch and to a movie.  As always, being with Dad was wonderful fun.  In the meantime, Miriam worked concessions for the football game, Katrina read a session of conference that she missed because of Shakespeare competition last week, and Thomas just stayed home and rested.  Later, Dad, Jon and his friend Troy, and Thomas all went out shooting.   I visited Grandma at the care center for an hour or so and then came home and finished watching the Lord of the Rings with the kids.

On Friday we drove up to the ski resort to pick up Miriam from her DECA conference.  We stayed and shopped and had fun walking down main street and visiting some of the shops there.  Then we drove back through the mountains.  The drive was so beautiful!  We got back in time to pick up the kid’s paychecks, and then we took them home and Dad and I went…yep…another date.  Hey, it’s fall break!

On Thursday we went bowling and Thomas won.  Dad came in second, Katrina came in third, and I came in last.  We also played arcade games and Katrina and Thomas bought giant black hairy mustaches which they wore through the Wilkinson center and on the long walk out to the car.  We also walked the trail to the falls.  We walked down hill because Thomas has been having trouble breathing lately.  Dad jogged back up to get the car and drive down to meet us at the falls.  Miriam spent the day at her Decca conference. 

Other highlights of the week were Katrina’s play on Tuesday.  It was As You Like It, and we did like it!  It was the best play out of the three performed, and Katrina did a wonderful job.  She played the mean angry guy.  Do you know who I’m talking about?  J   Grandma entered respite care Wednesday and that evening the kids went to mutual, and Dad and I went…On another date!  Yep.

On our date we ate out and then went to the running store to get me shoes that won’t hurt my feet.  They guy there spent over an hour with me helping me to find good shoes that would help my heels and knees.   I can return them any time if they don’t work for me. I started up Insanity again today with my new shoes, and so far so good!

Well, Matt.  That was our fall break and it was a good one.  Cassandra and Emerson close on their house in two days, and we are so excited for them!  It is very hard to be so far away and not be able to help them pack, move, and work on their house, but I’m sure it will all be fine, and soon they will be home owners.  Yippee! 

I love you, Matt.  Have a wonderful week.  I pray for you always that you will be filled with the spirit and with love and that you will be strengthened spiritually to be obedient and diligent and physically to be well and safe.  Have a wonderful week doing the work of the Lord!
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment