Friday, February 17, 2012

Cafe Rio Me-o

On Valentine's Day, Brian and I went to Cafe Rio for dinner.  I know that's a bit lame, but we were too worn out to think ahead and make reservations anywhere shmauncy.  The food was great and the company was breathtakingly handsome, so t'sall good.

Brian and I are getting the hang of ordering at Cafe Rio although Brian still needs me to translate what the workers are yelling at him from time to time, ha ha.  And since I have finally perfected my Cafe Rio salad, I will record it here.  First, may I mention that if you order the regular salad, it will be gargantuan.  They will build it on top of a giant flour tortilla or 3 regular sized corn ones.  For this reason, I order a tostada on a soft corn tortilla with a small salad dressing on the side and ends up being just the same as a small salad.  Anyway, here's the masterpiece.

Tortillas:  Corn or Flour?  Corn.  Their corn tortillas are delicious, and I think their flour tortillas are so-so.
Rice?  NO RICE.  I think their rice is yucky.
Beans:  Black or Pinto?  Either.  Both good.
Meat:  Shredded chicken, grilled chicken, grilled steak, or pork barbacoa?  Shredded chicken.  Pork barbacoa  is sweet and not good and their most popular meat.  Weird.
Salsa?   No.  Their green salsa is gross, and I haven't tried any other kind.
Lettuce, cilantro, guacamole, pico, Mexican cheese, fried corn crunchies?  Yes!!!
Sour cream?  Nope.  Too fatty.
Dressing:  Cilantro lime or tomatillo?  Tomatillo, yummm!  I've loved it so much that I haven't even tried cilantro lime.

Well, there you go.  The result of much trial and error and very worth all the trouble.

1 comment: