Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cafe Rio, A Gringo's Guide

Okay, I'm hoping that my last post will cause some of my family who have not been to Cafe Rio to try it, but I've decided I need to walk you through the process, so here goes.

You:  I would like a tostada on a soft corn tortilla with no rice, please.
Worker:  WHAA???
You:  TOSTADA.  SOFT CORN TORTILLA.  NO RICE!
Worker:  YOO WA BLA OR PEENTO BEEN?
You: (Beans.  Choose either. They are both good).
Worker:  WHA KINE-A MEE YOO WHAN?
You:  Chick...I mean...CHICKEN!!
Worker:  GREEL CHEECKEN??
You:  NO, SHREDDED CHEECK..I mean...CHICKEN!!
Worker:  LAYTUS, CEELAWNTRRRRO, MAYSICAN CHEES, GUACAMOLAY, AN CORN CRUNCHEESS?
You:  YES!!
Worker:  SOAM COS ESTRA, OKAY?
You:  WHAT??
Worker:  SOAM COS ESTRA, OKAY???
You:  Oh, some cost extra.  OKAY!!!
At this point you become pro active and yell:
TOMATILLO DRESSING, PLEASE!
Worker:  DAY OLSO COS ESTRA.
You:  OKAY!!
The worker smiles a big friendly smile and sends you on the way to the checker where you just bob your head and smile as you hand over your credit card.  At some point, state your drink preference.
You:  WATER
Worker:  You don't have to yell anymore.
You: Oh.  Water, please.
You are done.  Don't forget to take a mint.  They are cinnamon, not peppermint, so take two.  You earned it.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, that really covers the experience well. It's same at Bajio and I always feel overwhelmed trying to discern what the worker is saying to me.

    ReplyDelete