Tuesday, June 24, 2014

May 4--Hi from Mom

Dear Elder Cole,

Well, Cassandra and Emerson have a new baby boy!  He was born this morning (May 4) around 5:30 am.  He weighs 8 lbs and is 22 inches long.  We don't know his name yet, but hope to soon.  The baby was born at home and he and Cassandra are well and healthy.  We are so happy for them!  I wish I could send you the pictures I have, but I don't know how to get them off of text.  So, how does it feel to have a nephew as well as a niece?  It's pretty awesome, huh?  Cassandra called around seven this morning with the news.  I hope that they will call again sometime today.  In fact, we were hoping that they could Skype, but we don't want to bug them.

Thank you so much for your last letters.  You are so kind to write.  That was a very funny joke about just waiting to talk to me when you get home instead of on Mother's Day.  Ha ha.  No, you don't get off so easy.  I expect a Mother's Day call for sure!  Jon can't get here till 7:30 pm your time (which is also our time), so if you can do it that late, that would be nice.  If not, we get home from church at 12:00, so any time after 12:30 is good for the rest of us besides Jon.  Tell us a specific time that is good for you and that is the time we will plan on, okay?

It sounds like you had a nice "seminary" with your mission president.  It's hard to go to something inspirational like that and then to come back and have all those cancellations.  I am glad that you helped the bishop clean the church.  Half of your second page was cut off, so I hope it didn't say anything too important, ha ha.  I am so glad that you have been working so hard on being Christlike.  I know that it is paying off, because I know that He is helping you.

I don't usually talk to you about your coming home much, but since you did, I will, too.  It is pretty exciting.  Shauna got a letter from Church headquarters telling her Tanner's flight info for when he will be home in June, and Sister Smith already knows Wendy's flight information, and she's not coming home till July.  How do we get your flight info?  It would be really helpful to know what time you are coming in.

Well, it has been a pretty good week.  Tuesday we had a family home evening lesson, Wednesday I helped the teachers and miamaids with their dating activity.  The youth ran the rotations, and I thought that they did a very good job.  Katrina and Thomas were late for mutual because they both had an induction ceremony for the National Junior Honor Society, which I am happy that they are both in.  They also both tried out for choir this week, but they don't know if they made it yet.  On Friday, Thomas found out that he didn't get elected to student council, so that was disappointing, but he did his best, and I'm proud of him for it.  Fifteen people ran, four were elected.


Thursday I went on a field trip with my school class.  We were going to take the Front runner to Salt Lake, eat lunch, go to the children's museum, and come home.  We rode the bus to the train station where we disembarked and slowly walked towards the tracks.  As we were walking, a train pulled up--a train earlier than the one we were supposed to take--but most of our students and peer tutors boarded, leaving us teachers and slower moving students running to catch the train so that our group wouldn't be split.  I made it in, but no other adult did. The train began to pull away with the teacher running after it.  The poor lady is 67 years old, by the way.  Thankfully, the train took pity on her and stopped long enough to everyone on.  I think that was probably the first time the train had stopped for anyone.  That was one stressful few minutes!  The rest of the field trip went well, but I don't think that the teacher will ever attempt to take her students on the train again.  In fact, I know she won't because, sadly, she is retiring this year which means that my job will change drastically.  I can't imagine that it can stay as wonderful as it is now, but I'm hoping for the best.


Friday night Dad and I went out to eat and we also went for a long walk in the perfect spring weather.  We saw a girl fall off her longboard and hurt her head.  She was able to stand and walk, and some people were helping her, so we kept going.  I hope that she is okay.  I wish long boarders would wear helmets on that trail.  On Saturday, Thomas had to go to the water park to sign papers, etc, and then we bought him some shorts and a shirt for summer.  We also took Katrina's clothes in to be washed at the laundry.  Thomas is a cook this year, and makes more than a regular foods employee.  Katrina said that if she'd known that, she would have applied to work, too.  Actually, she'll be gone a lot this summer, so it probably wouldn't have worked out for her.

Saturday night, Dad and I bought some more Mexican food from that lady, and we bought extra to eat with the kids today after we broke our fast.  We ate outside in the wonderful weather, and Jonathan was here to eat with us, so it was a wonderful thing.  Also today we went for a ride, and I had Dad drive on slow roads so that we could have the windows rolled down.  Miriam went with us, and we had a wonderful time visiting with her, Katrina, and Thomas.

Well, that's about it, Matt. Last night we began fasting as a family for Cassandra and her baby, and it was wonderful to fast.  I've gotten a text from her since starting this letter, btw, and she is doing well.  She can't sleep much because of after pains, but she is resting comfortably, so that is good.

My goal this week is pray for the pure love of Christ often and to remember Jesus Christ and to use my time the way He would have me do.  I know that you have wonderful goals for this week, Matt, and I know that Heavenly Father will help you meet them.  I can't wait to talk to you on Sunday!  Have a wonderful week.  I love you.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment