Monday, December 3, 2012

Dec 3--Dear Elder: Sally's Passing and Funeral


Dear Elder,



Hi, How are you?  Thanks for your last letter.  We really enjoyed reading it.  I’m glad you like your camera.  I know it didn’t seem like much of a gift when we gave it to you, but we knew it would come in handy.  I’m sorry the work is slow right now, but I am glad you are keeping the missionary spirit and also examining how you and Elder Trejo can improve working together.  He seems like a very serious and diligent missionary.

Matt, Grandma passed away at our house last Monday evening.  Dad, Becky, and I were with Grandma when she took her last breaths and entered the Spirit World.  She struggled the last few days of her life, but was peaceful at the end.  The kids had left to the store and so weren’t there when she passed away, but about an hour before that they had sung to her and kissed her and told her that they love her.  We have been so blessed to have had her in our home for 9 months.

We spent the rest of the week taking care of funeral plans and spending time together, especially me and Dad.  He had the week off, and I think it comforted him to just be together.  Tuesday night we watched “Savior of the World,” a beautiful play depicting Christ’s birth and resurrection.  It was especially comforting after Grandma's death to be reminded of our Savior and his resurrection which makes the resurrection of Grandma, as well as all the rest of us, possible.

On Thursday, Dad and I took Thomas up to the children’s hospital to see if the doctors up there could figure out why he is always out of breath.  He got a blood test and an EKG.  The doctor there thinks he may have mono, which as you may know is a very common illness in teenagers.  We kind of hope that he does since it is less serious than some of the things he could have.  I guess we’ll find out this week. 

Friday, Dad and I went to the temple and felt very comforted there.   Yesterday (Saturday) was the funeral for Grandma.  Dad delivered a beautiful eulogy.  He, Jonathan, and Thomas were pall bearers.  I gave the opening prayer and Miriam and Katrina sang.  Dad also gave the family prayer at the viewing and dedicated the grave.  My sister, Elizabeth, came to the funeral, and Grandpa and Grandma and all their children sent a beautiful flower bouquet.  It was comforting that my family cared so much.  After the funeral we and all Dad’s siblings, spouses and kids went out to eat.  I’m guessing that the funeral was this is the first time they have all been together since Allen moved away from home.  We had a nice time visiting. 

Today we have Allen and Becky over.  They are in town for the funeral, of course.  We just finished eating dinner together and are now visiting.  I just found out that Dad is also taking tomorrow off, so I guess things will get back to normal come Tuesday. 

I love you very much, Matthew, and cannot wait to get your next letter.  I hope everything is going good for you.  I may have pictures for you tomorrow, we’ll see.

Love,
Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment